• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geico insurance- Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwilkie

Don't know if this helps

If you get commercial insurance do you need commercial plates and a CDL? Not sure how SC works...
I had to get commercial plates anyway because the vehicle has the capability of having a road weight of 18,000 lbs. I tried to get them to license it as a recreation vehicle, but they wouldn't budge.

I don't need a CDL because Alabama only requires that if the vehicle weight exceeds 26,000 lbs or has air brakes (different from our air-assisted brakes).

You'll just have to dig on this to see what SC law allows.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SC- if you don't actually haul commercial, then you don't need a commercial tag or CDL. Unless you load the truck over 26,000lbs, or haul a trailer bigger than 10k. But even then, you can get a class E or F license, which is non-commercial, but lets you haul big weight and trailers.

What you do with the truck determines if it is commercial or not.

ranchand

I have mine insured through amica. They quoted me 400 something but when I told her it was registered as a farm vehicle that lowered it about a hundy. I use mine mostly for hauling sand on my own property and the occasional load of gravel about 6 mi away via back roads.
When I got her registered the lady asked me what I wanted the gvwr to be and I said 26k.

gpp111

Geico

For my M818 insurance, J.C. Taylor said they did not insure vehicles like this. Hagerty said Virginia (where I live) considers the M818 a 'commercial vehicle' so they wont insure it, but Geico insured it on line for $85 a year without any problems.

Go figure.

That's not a bad price, but I was hoping to get it on my regular policy, with 4 current vehicles, because it would/should only be a few more bucks a month. Good to know though.
I tried to insure my '68 Kaiser M35A2 through Geico and it was denied. I have 2 other vehicles insured through Geico (06 Impala and 79 K10) and got no help. They sent me to Geico Commercial and it was denied because I don't own a company. After that, they sent me to the company that underwrites for Geico Classic/Antique/Collector. It was going to be $80 a year, but I don't have a LOCKED GARAGE to keep it in. Called Hagerty and they wanted $250/year in a LOCKED GARAGE. I finally called an Erie Insurance agent and got coverage for $450/year. What a circus.. I'm 25, no accidents, no tickets, never missed a payment and have a good credit rating........ can't have anything easy!!:evil:
Contacted Geico yesterday and went through all the things they asked about, said they'd get back to me. Got an email just a few minutes ago saying that they "don't have a market for the type of insurance you are requesting."

Really? I requested commercial insurance. Sounds more to me like they don't insure military vehicles used for commercial purposes. Stupid.

LC

ETA: Even had the insurance listed under my company name, didn't help.

Last edited:

maxxplanck

Im having trouble here also, went to State Farm 3 weeks ago they told me $11 a month so I paid for 6 months up front.. Then I get a bill for another $241 ( total of $308 for 6 months ) When I went down there they had me under historic plates, but on the new bill it said commercial plates. So I called them up they said no way on the historic plates and that it would have to be under commercial plates. I told them refund my money and Ill go try someone elese........

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks