• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geico insurance- Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Bottleworks is correct. Most insurance companies have a 10,000 lbs rule. They will take your money but in reality don't insure your vehicle (deny the policy). You must contact your insurance provider (in writing/email) and ask specifically if they will insure a 2.5 ton cargo truck with a GVW of over 10,000 lbs. If they say yes in writing then you are probably good to go. Most likely many of you will be floored by the answer. It would be better to have that answer now than after you run over a van full of kids.

And to further clarify, the agent on the phone is trying to sell you a policy. They could care less about what you have. It is the underwriter that is the true policy provider. What they say goes.

And to further state, if you don't have a historic vehicle insurance or a commercial insurance, most likely you are not really insured.

rat4spd

I specifically told the agent the truck was 14000#, and the initial quote was they'd do it under a regular policy. After they got the pictures, they came back and said they'd have to do a commercial.

No biggie, it was only $5 more than they originally quoted> I had thought the underwriter was giving it a commercial policy due to size, but with residential use only. After I got my policy, it stated commercial use. Not that I need it, but I'm covered pretty much under any circumstance I could get it in.

ARYankee

I've got a commercial policy for personal use through State Farm and I think it costs about $200 every 6 months. I didn't lie. I brought my insurance agent the info on it and some pictures. Plus with this policy I'm not really limited on how often I drive it.

planeswalker

I was having that same exact problem and I got mine through USAA from a guy named Robert, they are a brokerage firm in Michigan that got me insured through Progressive. I was trying to get insurance through Hagerty but they had soooo many restrictions. I don't want to set my M109 in a garage somewhere and drive it in a parade once in a while. I want to turn mine into a camper and travel from one campsite to another across this great land of ours. So when they ask tell them it's for "Personal Recreation" which is the truth and explain that the VIN # was NOT a standardized 17 digit alpha/numeric until after 1980 so deal with it!

SpyDad

I searched and found a lot of info, but didn't see much on Geico in lots of threads.
I have GEICO on my other vehicles, try SAFECO. I got insurance for about $168.00 per year. I called Hagertys, but they require the vehicle to be garaged and I can't do that.

Regards.

dcwilkie

State Farm Insurance covers my Deuce as a commercial stake cargo truck weighing 13,210 lbs with a 5K carrying capacity. One requirement they had was taking pictures of it for their file. No prob there- they wanted to see it so bad they even drove over to my house for the pics!
SFI knows it has troop seats in it, but also understand I rarely carry anyone back there. It's against Alabama State Law to carry any unbelted passengers in any vehicle and there are certainly no seat belts back there!

I cleared it with them before I hauled a bunch of folks in last year's Veteran's Day parade. That's the ONLY time anyone rides in the bed.
State Farm has been absolutely excellent in every way. Probably helps I have liability only with a hefty allowance for medical coverage. Not much point getting collision coverage for myself.
Anything hitting the truck short of another Deuce or equivalent probably won't hurt it much. :driver:

Last edited:

ARDUECE

state farm does all of mine and most of my customers. average is $25 a month they've even financed a couple of trucks for customers. go figure.:mrgreen: me:driver:him :jumpin:his wife.

Chevyman_15237

I tried to insure my '68 Kaiser M35A2 through Geico and it was denied. I have 2 other vehicles insured through Geico (06 Impala and 79 K10) and got no help. They sent me to Geico Commercial and it was denied because I don't own a company. After that, they sent me to the company that underwrites for Geico Classic/Antique/Collector. It was going to be $80 a year, but I don't have a LOCKED GARAGE to keep it in. Called Hagerty and they wanted $250/year in a LOCKED GARAGE. I finally called an Erie Insurance agent and got coverage for $450/year. What a circus.. I'm 25, no accidents, no tickets, never missed a payment and have a good credit rating........ can't have anything easy!!:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks