• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 Gen 2 V belts

cucvrus

I was looking over my Mule M1009 and noted the V belts on Gen 1 & Gen 2 were a little chewed up. I have had a bit of belt squeal recently. I choose to remove the belts and replace them. They were both at MAX adjustment. Most belts I buy just from the listed CUCV application list are almost at max adjustment when I install them. So I went in search of. "Belt's that fit Tight" My search went to NAPA first. I walked in and out to get a Fleetrunner green belt for Gen 1. I bought one it fit great. They did NOT have a Gen 2 Fleetrunner green belt in stock. The one that was on was 47.5" and I went to Autozone and bought a 48" belt. Fit perfect. I had to twist it up into the groove of the pulley. I have solid steel pulleys on my alternators. The belts shown would only squeal slightly. The Gen 2 belt was going to snap at any moment. DSCF3775.jpgDSCF3776.jpgBelt was Made in USA. $12. American. DSCF3777.jpgFleetrunner was also Made in USA. DSCF3779.jpgBoth belts had sen better days. That came from 2 years of heavy snow and slaving other CUCV's when it was very cold below 0. Hope that helps. i never have luck using any belt as a direct fit from a list. I try them on in the parts store parking lot and make the purchase based on the tightest ones. I think I have great adjustment left on both these belts.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much adjustment travel do you have left on GEN 1?
It’s hard to tell from the pic.

GEN 2 has plenty I see.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The green belts are great for lawn tractors. Long ago my lawn tractors liked to eat the deck belts. The wife worked for AC Delco, and one of the experts there said to use the green belts on anything that took any kind of abuse. Now deck belts can and do take extreme use.

Now I use the green belt on any problem that the regular black belts cant handle. You do pay more but in the long run you will not go wrong.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your alternator pulleys look smaller than original.

That may be why the correct belts never work for you.

Lawnmower belts you say? Huh...

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know which belt lasts the longest. My money is on the heavy duty green lawn mower belt!

I like my belts to match on my vehicles. I realize in this case you put on what was available. Thanks!

cucvrus

Hardly Lawn mower belts

[h=2]FleetRunner® Heavy-Duty V-Belts[/h] [HR][/HR] [h=3]Patented EPDM Construction with Distinct Green Colored Overcord Built Specifically for More Durability and Longer Life on Heavy-Duty Drives[/h]

• Outperforms the competition on the most troublesome drives
  • Special compound provides unmatched flexibility, stability, load carrying capacity and belt life
  • Patented material provides peak performance at extreme prolonged operating temperatures
  • Heavy-duty construction resists cracking and wear
  • Oil and heat resistant
  • Unique undercord notch pattern offers increased flexibility for smaller diameter pulleys
  • Available in over 70 sizes
I was installing auxiliary A/C units on some cab chassis units a few years back and they supplied the Gates Fleet runner belts. I thought they looked really good and ask the salesman if he had any in the size I needed. He sent me 2 and I tried them out. It seems to work really well. Not a Lawn Mower belt. Unless someone services a Fleet of lawn mowers and they happen to fit. Fleetrunner is Gates HD line for trucks. The solid pulleys are just about the same size as the stocks but they do not rust as quickly and in the 15 years of using them I have not had one split and come apart. I never measured one to see or compare to the metal stamped pulleys. They work and at the time 1994??? I bought an alternator with one solid pulley on it and just kept going from there. I will report back. I hope I provided positive information and helped someone out. The Fleetrunner was less cost then the black belt. have a great day. Stay Positive and avoid negativity. It's an simple task.

Bighorn

Barrman

Glad you found belts that work for you. I have 3 CUCV belt systems on the road just about every day. 1 of them likes different sized belts than the others. I haven’t been able to figure out why.

Without turning this into a Ford versus Chevy type debate. All of my Diesel engines eat any brand of belt that isn’t a Gates up in less than a year. I have tried them all at different times. But only Gates will work in the long run for me.

cucvrus

Used to be that the only belts that truly fit a CUCV were GM belts. And for many years that is all I ever ran. Now they have been discontinued for many years so I run what ever I can find that has a V. I used the higher riding 1/2" 12.7mm drive belt in the Fleetrunner. It seems to last. I know squealing belts is very annoying.

cucvrus

There will always be someone out there that wants attention so, they force their opinions on others as the only right way. I always found that what works and fits for one guy won't always work and fit for the other guy even if it does fit and work. Not his idea. So how is it ever going to work and fit? Can't do wrong by being right. But when being right is wrong you can't win either way. Get it? Neither do I. I may be wrong I may be crazy. But it just might be a lunatic your looking for. If the belt fits wear it. Something like that. OH Boy.

cucvrus

Do you mean me?
Have I written something wrong?
No I never meant anyone specific. Just saying a few of the things you try are not going to be right for others. And when they try your ideas they never work either. You done nothing wrong. I am glad your belts work for you and hope everyone finds things that work for them. They are not mine so I can only suggest and offer to help. You did nothing wrong. Have fun.

cucvrus

Even with the Gen 2 belt water tight. I get a weak sounding drone squeal after start up. It makes the sound only during the cycling of the glow plugs in the after glow cycle. It will do it very faintly for the first minute and then it's gone. I have my CUCV hooked up stock in all ways. I know when the resistors are by passed that eliminates the after glow cycling of the glow plugs. Just an observation. Charge rate is normal and vehicle starts and runs great. Just a slight load on Gen 2 after cold start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks