• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 Gen 2 V belts

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock or bypassed the GP card will (or will not) do the after glow based on the temperature sensor resistance value and the voltage on the Orange sense wire.

Comparing one truck to another is not a valid test unless ALL of the variables associated with the vehicles are identical at the beginning. Everything in the electrical system, temperature sensor, alternators, belt tension, relay resistance, battery connections, battery condition, wiring, glow plugs, cranking time, etc has to be identical, I doubt that is the case here. Eliminating the resistor may change how the card reacts but so will a multitude of other variables.

I know that my 3 CUCV trucks are no where near identical and none of them exhibit the same starting characteristics. All 3 have different starting "personalities". All have the resistor bypassed and all 3 perform the after glow when it's needed.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Well nothing gained or lost then. I will let mine hooked up as is. They still work. Why fix it? I also think the slave cables have something to do with the resistors. I used to know the truth and never had any issues. Then I came here to the internet and I get different opinions and unclear directions. Like going to different churches. You have to know which one you choose to believe in and follow. Guess the GM Manual I had first and then the CUCV electric book for simplicity. But if your CUCV starts and runs and you are happy with it. The goal has been met. Win , Win. Happiness abounds for all. Enjoy.

Bighorn

Here's a cold start video of my '09, outside temp was 37F this morning. The 12v voltmeter is hooked up to a DPST relay, where the NC wire is hooked to an accessory slot in the fuse block and the NO side is hooked up to the glow plugs wires, so when they are energized, that voltage is shown on the 12v voltmeter. I believe it's showing that theere is GP afterglow, and yes the resistor pack is bypassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUsDJH7etBo&feature=youtu.be
Here is a M1009 with the stock resistor pack installed.
Starting at 40 degrees F.
https://youtu.be/20gYOJJMUG8

Hear the click!
It was not that loud before I put the resistor pack back in.
Yes, I simply bolted the resistors CUCVRUS gave me, to the firewall in the stock location and attached the Passenger side lead to the 24 v bus bar and the driver side lead to the supply of the glow plug relay (after removing the 12 volt jumper wire of the bypass).

My stock 24 volt meter reads 2 volts high according to my Fluke multi meter.
Here I have the fluke meter attached to the 12 volt accessory power to the cigarette lighter.
My camera phone takes horrible video and it shut off before the last two after glows.
Whatever.
Now I know how to post videos using youtube.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks