• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light?

sixb

well I rebuilt both alternators and now the gen 2 light comes on and off every now and again. The charge gauge is in full green. What gives?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you personally rebuild them, or have someone else do it. What was done to rebuild them?

Are your belts new and tight?

You could swap the 2 alternators positions and see if the problem moves to Alt 1, to see if your alt is still bad, or you can follow the troubleshooting guide in the TM.

If indeed your alts are both good, I would guess you have a bad connection or a bad battery.

91W350

One of mine did that shortly after a rebuild, lost a diode. Did not take much to fix, just had a little double work that had to be done.

sixb

Did you personally rebuild them, or have someone else do it. What was done to rebuild them?
had a local shop do it.
Are your belts new and tight?
yes and yes
You could swap the 2 alternators positions and see if the problem moves to Alt 1, to see if your alt is still bad, or you can follow the troubleshooting guide in the TM.
I plan on swaping them after work.
If indeed your alts are both good, I would guess you have a bad connection or a bad battery.
batteries checked good at autozone for what thats worth, the stickers on them say March of 03

Last edited:

TyJustice

My Gen 2 light also likes to keep me company and can become annoying at night. The truck charges fine and I have checked all connections with no success.

How does one go about changing out the diode? If that is in case my problem.

Thanks

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diode trio is inside the alt. It needs to be completely dissasembled to replace it. If your in there, you may as well replace everything inside(only about $40).

Radioshop

I might have to rebuild an alternator soon. I read a tutorial online about how to do a Delco alternator. It didn't look like rocket science. What has stopped me is finding a source for parts and I'm not sure if the parts in the alternator are special. Most of the sites I've seen for parts assume you know what you want. I know it's a Delco 100 amp, but it's also isolated ground, so does that make for any special parts?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No special parts need to be purchased to rebuild it, the plastic insulators(keeps it isolated) are reused.

The alternator is a 100 amp, delco 27si, type 200, it uses type 100 bearings . That's all you need to know to order the internals to rebuild it. I like to buy a low speed and low voltage triggered regulator.

There a lots of online places to order the parts from.

Last edited:

acesneights1

I thought the drivers side alt wasn't isolated, only the pass side ? Am I incorrect ? They are both the same ?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cucv is built with 2 identical isolated ground alternators. The drivers side(alt1), does not need to be isolated. They simply did this, to not need to stock 2 different alternators. The passenger side(alt2) does need to be isolated from ground.

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

My Gen 2 light comes on/off occasionally as well. But usually only after I've been running awhile and then idled down, driving through town for example.

It's been doing that since I bought it and I know the previous owner replaced the belt for that alt. I guess I'll look into rebuilding it.

Radioshop

No special parts need to be purchased to rebuild it, the plastic insulators(keeps it isolated) are reused.

The alternator is a 100 amp, delco 27si, type 200, it uses type 100 bearings . That's all you need to know to order the internals to rebuild it. I like to buy a low speed and low voltage triggered regulator.

There a lots of online places to order the parts from.
That's what I needed to know! Thanks!

sixb

I still haven't swapped them yet, I wan't to call the company who rebuilt them first to see if they are both isolated grounded alternators.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks