• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen light question - might be unique!

tequilaiam

While trying to diagnose a Gen 1 light flickering I ran into this:

With the engine running, I pulled the red/brown pigtail on driver side alt. gen 2 light came on.

With engine running, pigtail back on gen 1, I pulled pigtail on gen 2 and neither light comes on.

Does any of that make sense? Where is the gen 2 light electrical current getting sinked to when I pull the driver side alternator pigtail?

I've looked over the diagrams a million times but don't get what is supposed to be happening since the alternators are sort of a black box. Regardless, before I can continue with the gen 1 diagnosis I need to know if the previous owner royaly screwed this wiring up before I can make any accurate assesments of what I'll need to do either with the truck or the alternator.

Edit: Forgot to add that while the gen 1 light was on while driving the horn didn't work. All other electricals did. When the gen 1 light went out, horn worked again. They may be totally seperate issues but who knows when things are intermittent.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

cpf240

Just a guess here, but since the output of GEN 1 is used as the ground reference for GEN 2, wouldn't shutting down GEN 1 by pulling the pigtail cause GEN 2 to stop outputting, or at least cut its output to 12v? If so, this could case the GEN 2 light to illuminate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks