• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen light question - might be unique!

tequilaiam

While trying to diagnose a Gen 1 light flickering I ran into this:

With the engine running, I pulled the red/brown pigtail on driver side alt. gen 2 light came on.

With engine running, pigtail back on gen 1, I pulled pigtail on gen 2 and neither light comes on.

Does any of that make sense? Where is the gen 2 light electrical current getting sinked to when I pull the driver side alternator pigtail?

I've looked over the diagrams a million times but don't get what is supposed to be happening since the alternators are sort of a black box. Regardless, before I can continue with the gen 1 diagnosis I need to know if the previous owner royaly screwed this wiring up before I can make any accurate assesments of what I'll need to do either with the truck or the alternator.

Edit: Forgot to add that while the gen 1 light was on while driving the horn didn't work. All other electricals did. When the gen 1 light went out, horn worked again. They may be totally seperate issues but who knows when things are intermittent.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

cpf240

Just a guess here, but since the output of GEN 1 is used as the ground reference for GEN 2, wouldn't shutting down GEN 1 by pulling the pigtail cause GEN 2 to stop outputting, or at least cut its output to 12v? If so, this could case the GEN 2 light to illuminate.