• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen Set, TM 5-5260, Stock No. 6115-376-7003 from 1953.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you pulled the brushes and lookat them for mamage? Most brushes today, made for larger equipment, have a plug and spring built into them. When the brush wears down too far, the plug, (made of a non conducting material) is forced down on the rotor, (because of the spring) and it shoves the brush away from the rotor. This is to prevent damage to the rotor, when the brush is completely worn down. The old sets, do not have that. Or I never saw anything like that. So you need to check the rotor for damage also.

R3Fab

And now it makes power.
The unit pictured above is the alternator to generate the field (As I understand) and does not function when the brushes are running on oxidation.
Cleaned the commutator, let the Governor control RPM, and ran tools.
Brushes are fine, unit only has 800 Hrs. on it.

Replaced the original very leaky mechanical NLA fuel pump with electric and a block-off plate.
Much happier to no longer be mixing possible sparks and fuel. :eek:

Repack the trailer wheel bearings tomorrow and this one is DONE!

R3Fab

OK, old equipment is never "Done".
Gen set sat a while, then hard to start, then leaking at the carb.
Choke was always bad as the lever was missing.
So today I took the carb off the other unit and combined the two to get one good one.
Not sure how these very primitive units really qualify as a carburetor, Float, needle, and a single mixture adjustment.
Hoping that with a clean functional unit the adjustment may actually, adjust mixture.
Had to make a new gasket for between the upper and lower halves.

Now that the second unit has been cannibalized, I am being told to get it un-seized and running. :rolleyes:
Pretty certain the owner has no idea how much time/expense that will take. Weird to me he would even consider it since has has several much more worthy candidates for my time and his money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks