• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator prices

bones1

Are these prices normal?.
Libby Welding Mdl MEP-002A 5 KW 60 Hz
trailer mounted diesel engine generator
set Sn RZ00900, meter indicates 446 hours,

Internet Auction 11246 / 5074 $1,252.00

Closed 11/05/2012 05:25PM Eastern Time

1976 Onan Corp Mdl MEP-002A 5 KW 60 Hz
diesel engine generator set Sn EZ00754,
meter indicates 1,160 hours, 120/240 V 1

Internet Auction 11246 / 5303 $865.00

Closed 11/05/2012 05:21PM Eastern Time

1986 Libby Welding Co Mdl MEP-003A 10
KW 60 Hz diesel engine generator set Sn
RZ43704, meter indicates 726 hours, 120/24

Internet Auction 11246 / 5306 $1,712.00

Closed 11/05/2012 05:00PM Eastern Time

1983 Libby Welding Corp Mdl MEP-003A 10
RZ84659, meter indicates 515 hours, 120/

Internet Auction 11246 / 5319 $1,690.00

Closed 11/05/2012 05:02PM Eastern Time

1982 Libby Welding Corp Mdl MEP-003A 10
RZ81097, meter indicates 12 hours, 120/2

Internet Auction 11246 / 5320 $1,782.00

Closed 11/05/2012 05:00PM Eastern Time

1992 Libby Welding Corp Mdl MEP-002A 5
RZ02133, meter indicates 2,971 hours, 120

Internet Auction 11246 / 5325 $960.00

Closed 11/05/2012 05:21PM Eastern Time

washingtonmountains

About six months ago I bought my mep002a for a mere $390.00 prices have been steadily increasing and I think the main reason is that people are finding just how nice a units these really are, but for anything over $1200 I would consider buying one that has been refurbed and load tested unless you are just looking for a little project. There is plenty of info on them here to get one up and running and not break the bank and its kinda cool to make it your own getting it going.

Just my two cents...2cents

36racin

I've been watching the 002 and 003 gen sets the last few months on GL. I did notice this lot that just ended 11246 the gen sets up north went way higher than the normally do. Bad weather driving prices up. Some of them went as high as 4K w/trailers and a single gen. Hope the upward trend doen't continue.

Todd

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ante is definitely up over the past several months. My guess it's a combination of re-sellers seeing an increased market that derives from weather events this year and individuals having similar recognition who are determined to get a genset. For example, a refurbed 003 on a trailer just went for $3600 at Ft. Polk. That's more than a grand higher that anything I have seen in an auction.

Isaac-1

It does vary, and seems to be on the high side at the moment, traditionally generator prices in the north reach their high point in the fall, before winter weather gets too bad, and in the south the high point is in the spring before Hurricane season. Of course major weather events can boost prices for months until people forget about the event, the bigger the event the longer that takes. As to actual average prices they do tend to go up year after year on average, still I was able to buy a nice mostly running MEP-002a for under $500 about 6 months ago, and have seen a number sell since then in the $500-$700 range on GL near here. (with non trailer MEP-003a often selling in the $1,200 - $2,000 range)

Ike

DeucesWild11

I just got my 002 for around $860 at Ft Mead on the Trailer that has brand new NDT's on it.. It was a no loose option in my opinion.. I would pay up to $1000 for one on a good trailer but one by itself around $500-600.

It seems the prices are a little better when they sell a whole bunch at the same time.

edgephoto

I just bought 2 MEP-002a units and paid $1,000 each. Maybe it is high but seems that even if I don't decide to keep both I can't really lose money on them. I se running ons on CL for $2-3,000 and on ebay for about the same. I already have a nice 7500 watt civilian gas generator but I like the idea of these real sturdy units and the diesel engine. Stored diesel lasts longer and I have a home heating oil tank in my cellar for heating my house so there is plenty of fuel there too.

I have to laugh at the post about paying less for one without a trailer. I feel just the opposite. My friend and I joked about buying a trailer with 2 gens on it and just taking the generators home and leaving the trailer at the GL site. Figured we would get in trouble so we stuck to gen only auctions.

DeucesWild11

I suppose it all depends on what you plan on doing with it. I would pay more for one with a trailer depending on the trailer condition as well. In my area if you have a "stationary" generator next to your house you need a permit, if it's on wheels then you don't. Also my generator came on a bigger trailer with 4 practically brand new NDT's on them, same size as my Deuce original tires. I can get about $125 each for those or keep as backup tires, so that's an extra $500 value right there.. Also, if you have multiple homes or may need to "bug out" you may need that power on the go. Maybe you're building a house out in the boonies and need some power to run equipment.. Again it all depends on your own wants/needs.

edgephoto

I suppose it all depends on what you plan on doing with it. I would pay more for one with a trailer depending on the trailer condition as well. In my area if you have a "stationary" generator next to your house you need a permit, if it's on wheels then you don't. Also my generator came on a bigger trailer with 4 practically brand new NDT's on them, same size as my Deuce original tires. I can get about $125 each for those or keep as backup tires, so that's an extra $500 value right there.. Also, if you have multiple homes or may need to "bug out" you may need that power on the go. Maybe you're building a house out in the boonies and need some power to run equipment.. Again it all depends on your own wants/needs.
I agree it is your need that drives this. I just thought it was funny how I would not pay as much for one with a trailer as I would for one without. I have nothing to tow a trailer with. So for me it becomes a matter of paying to transport a trailer I don't want and then having to deal with trying to sell or scrap it. I also only have a small lot .25 acres so a trailer like that is an eyesore and in my way. If I had my old house with 4 acres than I might want the trailer.

We need a permit here to if it is a permanent installation. Since mine will sit on crushed stone in a "temp" shed and I plan to make a cord to plug it into my connection box it is not permanent. I already have a 7500 Generac that I use but thought one of these might be better for the long term. Seems like in the last 3 years we lose power for one week every year. Also no worries about this getting stolen.

Ratch

I thought the last round of generators closed a little high in the northeast. But the same thing happened last year when many areas here lost power for a week.

People on Long Island have been pretty desperate. Box stores ran out before the hurricane, and in the 10 days since that a lot of people remain without power, they've been buying anything that will produce electricity and run a heating system, from solar panels to automobile inverters to military gennies.
The sharks are in the water up there. Refurb'd MEP-003's have been listed at $8000 on Craigslist, and a broken MEP-002 I had listed was suddenly getting lots of attention after a few months of no activity.

Ratch

I just looked through my closed watchlist that I forgot to follow, I'm actually pretty blown away by some of the prices. Some really bad looking gear went for astronomical prices...

rickf

I agree it is your need that drives this. I just thought it was funny how I would not pay as much for one with a trailer as I would for one without. I have nothing to tow a trailer with. So for me it becomes a matter of paying to transport a trailer I don't want and then having to deal with trying to sell or scrap it. I also only have a small lot .25 acres so a trailer like that is an eyesore and in my way. If I had my old house with 4 acres than I might want the trailer.

We need a permit here to if it is a permanent installation. Since mine will sit on crushed stone in a "temp" shed and I plan to make a cord to plug it into my connection box it is not permanent. I already have a 7500 Generac that I use but thought one of these might be better for the long term. Seems like in the last 3 years we lose power for one week every year. Also no worries about this getting stolen.
I wish I lived closer to you. I saw your post on the needed recovery and the bit about the trailers. I would say buy them on trailers and I would pull them to your house where you could remove the generator and I would take the trailer away for you.

Rick

Ratch

Ha ha, if you ask my wife, I don't need any of them... But I don't have any for sale at the moment. I have an 002 I've been on the fence about selling, but I just dropped more cash on parts for it, so I'm starting to commit to getting it going again.

I'm about 5 miles from Pottstown. How long are you in town?

helomedic1171

monday night we head back south. Sounds like my wife... I start looking at the GL website, and she says "didn't you just buy one of those??"

never know when you need spares....

Ratch

Sounds like I'm talking to the mirror... :D I'll send you a PM over the weekend, I have to get a deck built by next week, if I make real progress saturday, come on over and talk green iron.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks