• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator prices

glassk

I have bid on some scrap last year through gl, and had the feeling that an insider was running the bids up, mind you it's just a gut feeling but I have invoices dated 2004 , so it's not my first bid with them, again Just a feeling,...

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Even if that is the case, it takes a special kind of person to pay double the going ebay buy it now price for known running units to buy an as-is unit from GL.

glassk

Bid not Bought, saw it relisted quite a few times, that one set at Ft Stewart has been sold five times , don't want to be too specific cause I bet it is coming up in a current auction,...

glassk

There is for a fact shill bidders, I dont know how tight their affiliation is with GL but none the less.

Hah.. Thats what I buy two mep-007's for :tank:
GSA went to the bidder 1 & 2 ect, there were a few I remember before when your ID was shown that a 2x4 soaked in oil is what I wanted to use on them,...

glassk

ENGINEERING EVALUATION AND ANALYSIS FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF MILITARY STANDARD
GENERATORS
VOLUME

OF 2 VOLUMES

I have both of these if anybody wants them

"Review and analyze Government Furnished Data (GFD) identifying potential
designs and redesigns of assemblies, subassemblies, components
and/or end items (Military Standard Generation Sets 5 kw through

kw) with consideration for improving the end items for their intended
use in the Military environment. This evaluation shall consider, but

not be limited to reducing costs; avoiding the use of Government and
industry specifications; and engineering designs that inhibit competitive
procurement."

may be old news , :-?

%S

glassk

It listed some common things to each group 5K 10K's up , since these are the ones selling now thought it was interesting, like the allis chambers were booted because of failures, somebody bought one the other day at robins,...

steelypip

First, do you have a link to volume 2? I'm curious after reading through most of volume 1.

Second, there was some very interesting reading in there relating to several recent threads. What I found most telling were the causes of the MTBF for MEP002A and 003A gensets. Simply put, problem #1 on the 002As was undercharged batteries. Apparently the big batteries on the 003A were a better idea than they seemed. The 002A muffler got flagged for some reason (same part as the 003A, but doesn't appear on the 003A failed component list?). After that, it was four gauges, the starter, and a regulator (they don't state whether it's the AC or DC reg, but I'm guessing DC).

On the 003A (many more hours of logged runtime) many of the same failure inducing components are listed.

Conclusions:

• Yes, the gauges often are problematic. Keeping a good multimeter and a Kill-A-Watt handy does away with most of those concerns for home use.
  • The electric fuel pumps weren't generally a problem in 1988. Even if they are a problem now, we have three and we need one. I suspect that double redundancy is why they didn't appear in either of the failure-inducing component lists.
  • Keeping the batteries fully charged is critical and the operating units had trouble with this, particularly on the MEP002A with its smaller batteries. Mr Solargizer is definitely your friend. They cite the starter on the MEP002A but not the 003A. I suspect it's because of the smaller batteries and overcurrent in cranking caused by undervoltage (a weak battery).
  • The regulator cited in the document is probably the DC regulator, and it's probably the result of jump-starting weak gensets. OTOH, bad regulators would equal weak batteries...
  • Fuel system problems are cited, but it's mostly the filtration components. Injection pump is mentioned, but it's infrequent compared to the other items.

Overall, it's gratifying how rare major component failures are in these lists. Once you've got an MEP002A/003A running, a small stock of easily changed components is all you're likely to need to keep it running.

Last edited:

dependable

Interesting, why would proper jump starting, (with nato slave cable to good truck batteries) cause DC regulator failure? It is my understanding that un hooking the slave cable (or batteries) while generator is running would damage DC regulator. I used to jump my 002s and 701 until I sprung for dedicated gen batteries.

glassk

First, do you have a link to volume 2? I'm curious after reading through most of volume 1.

Second, there was some very interesting reading in there relating to several recent threads. What I found most telling were the causes of the MTBF for MEP002A and 003A gensets. Simply put, problem #1 on the 002As was undercharged batteries. Apparently the big batteries on the 003A were a better idea than they seemed. The 002A muffler got flagged for some reason (same part as the 003A, but doesn't appear on the 003A failed component list?). After that, it was four gauges, the starter, and a regulator (they don't state whether it's the AC or DC reg, but I'm guessing DC).

On the 003A (many more hours of logged runtime) many of the same failure inducing components are listed.

Conclusions:

• Yes, the gauges often are problematic. Keeping a good multimeter and a Kill-A-Watt handy does away with most of those concerns for home use.
  • The electric fuel pumps weren't generally a problem in 1988. Even if they are a problem now, we have three and we need one. I suspect that double redundancy is why they didn't appear in either of the failure-inducing component lists.
  • Keeping the batteries fully charged is critical and the operating units had trouble with this, particularly on the MEP002A with its smaller batteries. Mr Solargizer is definitely your friend. They cite the starter on the MEP002A but not the 003A. I suspect it's because of the smaller batteries and overcurrent in cranking caused by undervoltage (a weak battery).
  • The regulator cited in the document is probably the DC regulator, and it's probably the result of jump-starting weak gensets. OTOH, bad regulators would equal weak batteries...
  • Fuel system problems are cited, but it's mostly the filtration components. Injection pump is mentioned, but it's infrequent compared to the other items.

Overall, it's gratifying how rare major component failures are in these lists. Once you've got an MEP002A/003A running, a small stock of easily changed components is all you're likely to need to keep it running.

Try this one,

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a196993.pdf

Google the battle damage version , same tm numbers with BD at end, they have some interesting stuff also,...quick test and even welding with bigger units,...:drool: