• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gensets at Ft Drum?

jeepin

Anyone else get a genset at Ft Drum? What an auction, I don't think I have ever seen (or probably will ever see again) so many gensets in one place. I noticed prices of the 5kw anywhere from low $400 to $1000. Some had under 10 hours, one showed 9,000!

n3sq

Picked up some generators at Ft. Drum

I picked up the AN/JPQ-18
[2 MEP003As (860hr & 1221hr) with ASKs installed on an M105 trailer with bows]

and the PU/753?M
[1 MEP003A (2424hr) with ASK on an M116 trailer with bows]

I am looking for the canvas for both units - anyone have one at a reasonable price?

I was in need of the ASKs, I was going to buy an M105 that someone stripped the gensets off - the M116 is a bonus. I'll swap out my current 3 running MEP003As onto the trailers and install the ASKs on them.

Now I have 6 MEP003A. I think it's an addiction. Some people collect Duces, I seem to collect MEP003As.

n3sq

ASKs

Acoustic Suppression Kit - think of it as a box you can put your MEP into to cut the engine noise from deafening to tolerable.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Acoustic Suppression Kit - think of it as a box you can put your MEP into to cut the engine noise from deafening to tolerable.
Ditto, and those are as easy to come upon as finding Michel Jackson picking up a chick.

n3sq

ASKs rarer than hen's teeth

Ditto, and those are as easy to come upon as finding Michel Jackson picking up a chick.
That's why I grabbed them. There were only three units with ASKs. They fact that they are mounted on trailers is a bonus - easier to get home.

I was looking for an M103 to mount 2 on anyway, now I don't have to try to build a mount. The M116 is a bonus. Not a bad deal

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did anyone preview those? Are the gensets on GL usually good (relatively speaking) running power units? I'm always leery about bidding on something like that especially that far away.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had good luck, bought from the photos only @ French Camp. I picked up an MEP006A a couple years ago. It's in like new condition. Runs like a top. 6 cyl Allis Chalmers Turbo Diesel. 60kw.

Attachments

Last edited:

scooter01922

uh......all sorts of stuff........like.... um.......oh alright i guess its about the same. But you have to admit 60KW is a bit of overkill unless you are trying to run the neighborhood.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At first I bought it to use on a piece of land we have in Eastern AZ, But it's turned out to be very popular at parades and shows. The engine has a shine to it that is like new.

There's an old-timer that used to work at Allis Chalmers that comes to the Papago MV Show. He was very interested in the block. It's manufacture date is 1986. It has to one of the last blocks cast since Allis Chalmer was sold to Fiat around late 1985 (I think). Anyway this engines late build date seems to be a mystery to these guys.

There are actually a couple guys that used to work for Allis Chalmers that love to stand around and talk with me about this piece.

So, long story short, I'm holding on to it for preservation purposes, much like the rest of my collection. Who knows when I may need 60,000 watts. It could happen.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it doesn't matter what you're going to use it for, the fact is, you have one and we don't:cry:........yet.

goldneagle

I got a hybrid 42 KW generator set with a 4 cylinder White Diesel. It was a 15KW 400hz unit that was missing parts to the generator. We removed the 15kw head and installed a 42KW Marathon generator head. I used it during Gustov to run my house...had Central A/C running and fridge, freezer, computers, internet etc.... It was only hooked up to a temporary 50amp 240v line... Next year I will have it permanently attached to the house electrical system giving me 125 Amp at 240 volt.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks