• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

German STORCH of WWII

Another Ahab

Check this out. Winston Churchill knew the Storch, up close and personal:

Broadhurst piloted Winston Churchill over to Normandy six weeks after the D-Day landings for a morale-boosting visit to the troops. They landed at Sainte Croix surMer airfield, which was a temporary airfield that had been constructed after the landings by the Royal Engineers. It was known as RAF 'B3 ALG' (Advanced Landing Ground), and was only 3.5 kms from the "Gold" landing beach.

In doing so, Churchill was the first wartime leader to visit "liberated" France, well before
de Gaulle, and some weeks before Eisenhower himself managed to come ashore.

Churchill's Storch I.jpg Churchill's Storch II.jpg

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This installment might just wrap-up the thread. Found this while noodling around the internet for more info on the Storch.

It's one of the last episodes of WWII in Europe, and central to the story is a Storch:

When a powerful Russian army was only scant yards from Hitler's bunker, a pilot in Germany landed a bullet-riddled plane (with a freshly wounded comrade writhing in the cockpit) on a shell-cratered Berlin street in a futile effort to rescue Hitler from the deadly trap.

Shortly after, the pilot successfully took off from the same street through a hailstorm of Russian gunfire, again swerving around the shell craters.

The pilot was Hannah Reitsch, a tough cookie. History doesn't remember her because she was an unrepentant Nazi (and maybe it's just as well because nothing good to be said about the Nazi Party). All the evidence is that she knew flying, everything about it; and when she was in a pinch, she chose a Storch. The End.

View attachment 519151
GenObst Robert Ritter von Greim was the passenger. He was being flown in, based on most reports, on orders from Hitler to be the new head of the Luftwaffe after Goring was fired for trying to telling Hitler that if he didn't hear from him by a certain time, he (Goring) was going to take over as the new Fuhrer. The plane was shot up by Russian ground troops and that is supposedly how von Greim was wounded. The plane was also supposedly jumped by American fighters earlier in the flight but avoided becoming decisively engaged.

Since the Stock was shot up, she flew out in an Arado AR96 but how it got in is unknown. The Russians did shoot at it but obviously weren't successful at shooting it down.

Another Ahab

Check this out. Winston Churchill knew the Storch, up close and personal:

Broadhurst piloted Winston Churchill over to Normandy six weeks after the D-Day landings
A little about Broadhurst and his Storch:

The plane was captured by the British in the Western Desert in 1943, and was
then "adopted" as his personal plane by Air Vice Marshal Harry Broadhurst.

Broadhurst was a former Battle of Britain ace, who was senior air staff officer to the commander
of the Desert Air Force.

He went on from the Desert back to the UK and was involved in the preparations for Operation Overlord, where he was
commander of 83 Group:

Churchill's Storch I.jpg Churchill's Storch II.jpg
Churchill's Storch III.jpg Churchill's Storch IV.jpg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, nearly all German battlefield leaders flew in them at one point or another.

As a side note, Rommels doctor and pilot went for a joy ride once. They landed for whatever reason (it was a joy ride). Just happened they landed in the middle of a patrol of the SAS and LRDG. They were promptly captured but later escaped. The Stork was destroyed.

Another Ahab

Yep, nearly all German battlefield leaders flew in them at one point or another.

As a side note, Rommels doctor and pilot went for a joy ride once. They landed for whatever reason (it was a joy ride). Just happened they landed in the middle of a patrol of the SAS and LRDG. They were promptly captured but later escaped. The Stork was destroyed.
You never cease to amaze; and I mean, I know you are CARNAC and all:

- and clearly a graduate phi beta of Wizard University,

But still:

- How do you know….ALL…..this S---?!!

wizard university.jpg

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
One of the very last German aircraft shot down was a Storch. It was downed by an American L4 or 5 pilot who downed it with his .45 cal M1911A1 pistol.

The Rommel doctor story is from Born of the Desert (Malcomb James) and was also in Sterlings Desert Raiders and the Phantom Major. So I've read it in those books. Born of the Desert is a very dear title to me as I believe it is the story of my life but that's another book, albeit very boring.

The above reference was from The Last Battle (Cornileus [sp] Ryan).

Another Ahab

One of the very last German aircraft shot down was a Storch. It was downed by an American L4 or 5 pilot who downed it with his .45 cal M1911A1 pistol.

The Rommel doctor story is from Born of the Desert (Malcomb James) and was also in Sterlings Desert Raiders and the Phantom Major. So I've read it in those books. Born of the Desert is a very dear title to me as I believe it is the story of my life but that's another book, albeit very boring.

The above reference was from The Last Battle (Cornileus [sp] Ryan).
Well of course. That explains it irrefutably; the good gentleman is:

- a learn-ed Man of Letters (AND lover of OD Iron).

Most Excellent!

Man of Letters.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

For record, these are supposed to be images of "Rommel's" Storch:

- The photograph is claimed to be a shot that Rommel took with his own camera (unverified).
- Noticing that the fuselage markings (is there a term for that?), in each respective image don't match, but don't know if there's a reason (like maybe the photo is NOT Rommel's plane, or maybe the scale model is NOT well researched, or both; who knows?).

Rommel III.jpg Rommel I.jpg

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Likely as not, Rommel used more than one aircraft at different times. And a model is only as good as the quality of the builder's research, and the references he trusted.

Cheers

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Likely as not, Rommel used more than one aircraft at different times. And a model is only as good as the quality of the builder's research, and the references he trusted.

Cheers
Yep, more than likely since we know the one his pilot and doctor had got destroyed.

Another Ahab

Cheers
Yep, more than likely since we know the one his pilot and doctor had got destroyed.
My Mother was a French war bride, lived in Paris surrounded by occupying German troops from 1940-1944. Needless to say she was not particularly fond of things German, and though she could speak the language you could notice her grinding her teeth at the sound of it (from the television and such). But I remember her saying something once about Rommel, something that was not critical and almost like mild praise. That was unusual; kind of surprised me at the time.

Don't remember now what the comment was, but makes me want to know this guy better:

- He was a Soldier, and evidently he didn't "drink the Nazi Kool-Aid".

Mr. CARNAC, got a best history about him you can recommend for a read?

Rommel- Did you II.jpg

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

When the Bride and I picked up our long haired dachshund, the first thing I noticed was his fur colors. This little puppy had red hair, except under his nose, and down his chin was pure white. He looked just like a baby fox (ok, a "Kit"). I looked at my bride and told her, he looks like a baby fox, I have to name him "Erwin Rommel". He is now full crown, as full crown as a dachshund can get, and just a great dog.
Sorry that is all I can ad to this great post.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Another Ahab

When the Bride and I pickedup our long haired dachshund, the first thing I noticed was his fur colors. This little puppy had red hair, except under his nose, and down his chin was pure white. He looked just like a baby fox (ok, a "Kit"). I looked at my bride and told her, he looks like a baby fox, I have to name him "Erwin Rommel". He is now full crown, as full crown as a dachshund can get, and just a great dog.
Sorry that is all I can ad to this great post.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

dachsundwmustardsm.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks