• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Get Together in California?

leo4x4

There is a guy who come to you, and for $40 he gives you all of the paperwork to go to dmv. And the dmv will make you go to CHP for vin verification.
I have an appointment with CHP next week.

dezert ratt

I used a guy in irwindale off the 605. My trucks are already registered historic. I just was curious about the newer 5 tons since they aren't old enough for historic tags

leo4x4

Yeah some of the guys were talking about going this weekend. But I can make it maybe next? Fastnova is going to work on my truck on Saturday so my will kill if I disappear on Sunday as well

Titan2248

Hi everyone, I just picked up my M931A2 yesterday. Drove it from San Clemente to MCAS Miramar (storage). I had my DMV appt yesterday and they referred me to CHP for Vin Verification. I have that appt tomorrow. Anyway, I plan on registering it as an RV house car. It had the 5th wheel removed and and a 12x8 cargo box installed. After the drive down south. I relized the horn does not work an also the driver side fuel tank leaks at the gasket and also there is a small drip (black oil) leak out of a seal in the rear axel. The bottom line is that I do not know anything about these machines and I am looking for any So Cal member who live at least within a 100 miles of me where if you had the time and knowledge I could drive up for you to check out my ride and see if there are any problems that need corrected right away. Before I go to a mechanic that I dont know and get bent over. Any help would be apprciated.

Titan2248

The Vin or whatever number does not match my Vin either. (Its on the frame above front tire driver side) so what happens now. I have my appt tomorrow with the CHP.

leo4x4

I dont know the guy I went to was a dick. He said he will do some research and call me back. If you pass please let me know which office you went to and the officers name please.
Leo 8184159985

Titan2248

I will, I have my appt at the CHP office at their Pacific Coast Hwy location in San Diego. I'm kinda worried as I dont have my Class B yet, if he is going to ask for that and when I dont have it, if he will take some enforcement action for me driving there, ie. ticket, fine, impound??

dezert ratt

I have a guy somewhere in irwindale that did my vin verification, it's easier to pay a dmv service to do the registration.
If I remember correctly the vin on the frame is only x amount of the vin on the data plate. I can't remember for sure.

Last edited:

Titan2248

Well I went to my appt this morning for the secondary Vin verification. The CHP guy was cool, but he said I was at the wrong place, they only do cars and motorcycles there. I told hom the lady from CHP was one who said to be here. OH well. Anyway now I have to go to the commercial CHP inspection station at the border in Otay Mesa on the 13th. So the saga continues......

quickfarms

Well I went to my appt this morning for the secondary Vin verification. The CHP guy was cool, but he said I was at the wrong place, they only do cars and motorcycles there. I told hom the lady from CHP was one who said to be here. OH well. Anyway now I have to go to the commercial CHP inspection station at the border in Otay Mesa on the 13th. So the saga continues......
The first thing a commercial CHP officer will ask for is your paperwork. I would be astonished if you did not get cited for driving out of class. Since you already have your B permit they will probably through the book at you.

It is funny that the DMV is asking about the frame VIN. Even commercial trucks of that era are not required to have them. They nag have an upside down one on the frame but that was used to assemble the truck and not federally required.

What form are they asking the CHP to fill out?

I use a DMV processor in Covina and he does the verification and goes to DMV for me. It is the best $100 I ever spent. He picked up the paperwork in the morning and I had my plates by lunch.

This should be I. A separate thread about registration.