• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gettin the pinion parking brake!

Monster Man

well, I have a leak on the front of the t-case. I suppose a bit of oil, even one drop could screw it all up, but the drum has always been very dry when I check it. It might need to be honed, as there is pitting and discoloration on it. I'm planning on new e-brake shoes, and when I do that maybe I can clean the drum up a bit, and of course grease the fittings and readjust the cable.

It will almost slow the truck down from full speed when you pull it (gotta make sure I can try that even in a panic, right?) but man oh man, you wanna get away from there quick cause it HEATS UP and SMELLS! That's probably what ruined it, but it was like that when I got it, who knows :nono:

wdbtchr

I've got new parking brake shoes and adjusted per the manual, but my parking brake won't hold my 5 ton on any kind of grade even empty. I've never tried to stop the truck with the parking brake, but I have pulled out without releasing it and if the handle hadn't been poling me in the butt I would never have known it was on.:roll:

jwaller

I've got new parking brake shoes and adjusted per the manual, but my parking brake won't hold my 5 ton on any kind of grade even empty. I've never tried to stop the truck with the parking brake, but I have pulled out without releasing it and if the handle hadn't been poling me in the butt I would never have known it was on.:roll:
it should. my 23k lb 818 it holds very well even on a good grade.

wdbtchr

I'm not sure why it doesn't work right. When I put the new shoes on I took everything off and cleaned it up and even put on new springs even though the old one seemed OK. I thought the drum itself might be worn down, but shouldn't the readjustment compensate for that? I don't know how thick the drum is new, but there is no indication, grouves or ridges to indicate excessive wear on mine.:?