• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting a title but my nuame is not on the SF97

Hooty481

Hey picked up my truck back on the 31st of December at a public auction the truck was purchased from GL back in August September October "one of those" from GL. I get the original SF97 with another guys name of course. Truck must have changed hands 2 or 3 times before it got up here. They told me all i had to do was take it to the DMV to apply for a title. When i get there they say the guys name on the title must apply for it. I dont know who this guy it and have no way to get ahold of him. Is there any other way around this?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start by calling GL and ask what they recommend in a case like this. You can also try to contact the guy on the SF97 and see if he will sign it over to you.

Dodge man

You need to go after the the auction if they stated that you could get title with the sr97. They are responsable.
Ditto!

I've had too many hassles with open titles. From now on I only take a title in the actual seller's name AND a bill of sale! Anything less is scrap in my opinion and I would only pay a scrap price for it! It took me months to get my M-37 registered. Florida DMV refused to accept it without a bill of sale even though I had a Florida title in the seller's name. I didn't think to get a bill of sale and had to fight with the seller for months to finally get one.

Your only other option is to get one of the tow/title companies to issue you a title. In fact, the auction company may be able to do that.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The original SF-97 holder should have gotten the vehicle titled in his name before selling it to another party.

I had the same issue with a M916 I sold.....I had to title it in Alabama and then sign that title over to the new owner.

If you can't find the original guy you may have bought a large yard ornament.

You may or may not have recourse with the auction company but it may take the threat of legal action to get them motivated.

If you can get hold of GL (live chat is the best way to go) they have records of the SF-97's they have issued...they may give you the original buyers contact info.

Good luck.

Hooty481

the auction company has let me down. they said the boy showed proof that it wasn't stolen and that was good enough for them. they said I had a right to get a lawyer and sue the guy but that they wouldn't take care of it for me. Government liquidation said they called the guy that bought it from them and he is suppose to call me but I am still waiting.

Dodge man

The auction company is BSing you! THEY are the ones that sold it and they're the ones that are responsible for getting you a GOOD title. You should check and see if the value of this truck in eligible for small claims court in your state. If it is then go after the auction company! I have used small claims several times and won every time and I always wrote my own arguments, filings, etc. Most people won't even bother to show up and defend themselves so in most cases the plaintiff automatically wins. Go sit in on a mornings worth of cases to see how the process works. The court clerks office, the law library and the judge's clerks were all been very helpful when I was there. The law library has a LOT of good information that tells you exactly what you need to do and say. There's also a paperback book called " How to Win in Small Claims Court in Florida" It's a great book!! (ignore the poor rating on Amazon!) You can buy it in many book stores for about $12 if your law library doesn't already have it. It tells you everything that you need to know in plain English and well worth the cost! They also have the same book written specifically for Kalifornia and Texas. I know you're not in any of those states so you may have to make some changes but it should still be a great help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is another example of the "" No Title No Cash " rule . If they don't have a clean title in hand , no cash leaves your hand .

edit; You may want to contact Detriot Vintage Cycles other members here have had good luck with them.

WWW.DETVINCYC.TK (586) 777-6992

they can produce a michigan title you will be able to transfer to your state , no fees until they have your title . memphis bell had his dump titled by them it took 2 weeks and cost $ 100.00 your cost may be higher as he picked up in person but it is a option

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the auction company has let me down. they said the boy showed proof that it wasn't stolen and that was good enough for them. they said I had a right to get a lawyer and sue the guy but that they wouldn't take care of it for me. Government liquidation said they called the guy that bought it from them and he is suppose to call me but I am still waiting.
That's a bunch of B.S. How could the sf97 be proof that it wasn't stolen if the sf97 is in somebody else's name? I don't know what the law is on this but if the auction company sold it as having a title they should be responsible.

Dodge man

I HOPE you paid via credit card. If you did STOP what you're doing and call your credit card company right now and dispute the charge! If you paid by check, call your bank as soon as they open in the morning and put a stop payment on it! And don't let the auction company BS you into thinking that it's illegal for you to stop payment. It's absolutely your right to stop payment in a case like this. It's THEY that have failed to live up to their responsibilities in this sale. AND don't except an open title! Make the owner transfer it into HIS name or the auction company's name and then have them transfer it to you. BY LAW, this is the way that titles are supposed to be handled. If you do accept an open title you may find that you can't register it!

Signed over titles are REQUIRED by law to be registerred by the new owner within a very limited number of days and YOU can be fined or charged an extra fee for trying to register one after that period even though it's the previous owner's fault since he's the one that never registered the truck in his name. All the DMV sees is that A signed over the title (to B but they don't know that) X number of months ago and now YOU want to register it so guess who's going to pay the fee for not registering it within the time limit!

To tell you the truth, the way this is shaping up I think you'd be better off cancelling the sale and letting them keep the truck! As much as both the owner and the auction company have been a PITA to deal with, you have to wonder what else they've hidden or lied about!

Forget the lawyer!!! All he'll do is take your money and write an endless number of letters and then tell you that it's too late to do anything about it! YOU need to write one DEMAND letter to the auction company stating exactly what you want and set a deadline and sent it to them via registered mail. In this case I wouldn't set the deadline more than 10 days from the time of receipt. If they fail to comply before that expires then you need to immediately file in small claims court asking (1) that the sale be cancelled and the auction company immediately refund your money AND all your expenses (my preference) or (2) that they immediately deliver a valid title and a Notarized Bill of Sale in the current owner's name along with any other paperwork or items that were promised.

While you're at it I strongly suggest that you write a letter of complaint explaining this situation to your State Attorney General's office and your State Office of Professional Licensing and to the Better Business Bureau in the city where the auction company is located. I think what the auction company is doing is highly unethical and very likely illegal.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodge man , he bought it dec. 31 2010 to much time has passed to do anything with the credit card or bank . It was bought with bill of sale only and if the auction company advertised it as a bill of sale only auction there is not much recourse to them as they are just the sellers agent , if they advertised a title its different . The best bet is going through the state attorney generals office for title jumping .

Lawrence of Arabia

Worse case if it is in your posession for a period of rime it can be considered an abandoned vehicle. Then you should be able to file for a title. Depending on your state.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I HOPE you paid via credit card. If you did STOP what you're doing and call your credit card company right now and dispute the charge! If you paid by check, call your bank as soon as they open in the morning and put a stop payment on it! And don't let the auction company BS you into thinking that it's illegal for you to stop payment. It's absolutely your right to stop payment in a case like this. It's THEY that have failed to live up to their responsibilities in this sale. AND don't except an open title! Make the owner transfer it into HIS name or the auction company's name and then have them transfer it to you. BY LAW, this is the way that titles are supposed to be handled. If you do accept an open title you may find that you can't register it!

Signed over titles are REQUIRED by law to be registerred by the new owner within a very limited number of days and YOU can be fined or charged an extra fee for trying to register one after that period even though it's the previous owner's fault since he's the one that never registered the truck in his name. All the DMV sees is that A signed over the title (to B but they don't know that) X number of months ago and now YOU want to register it so guess who's going to pay the fee for not registering it within the time limit!

To tell you the truth, the way this is shaping up I think you'd be better off cancelling the sale and letting them keep the truck! As much as both the owner and the auction company have been a PITA to deal with, you have to wonder what else they've hidden or lied about!

Forget the lawyer!!! All he'll do is take your money and write an endless number of letters and then tell you that it's too late to do anything about it! YOU need to write one DEMAND letter to the auction company stating exactly what you want and set a deadline and sent it to them via registered mail. In this case I wouldn't set the deadline more than 10 days from the time of receipt. If they fail to comply before that expires then you need to immediately file in small claims court asking (1) that the sale be cancelled and the auction company immediately refund your money AND all your expenses (my preference) or (2) that they immediately deliver a valid title and a Notarized Bill of Sale in the current owner's name along with any other paperwork or items that were promised.

While you're at it I strongly suggest that you write a letter of complaint explaining this situation to your State Attorney General's office and your State Office of Professional Licensing and to the Better Business Bureau in the city where the auction company is located. I think what the auction company is doing is highly unethical and very likely illegal.

IMHO - This is your target of opportunity.

When you go after his Auctioneer's License and his ability to earn a living, HE WILL start listening to YOU. Effectively, you will have him by his Family Jewels.... Then just start SQUEEZING until HE makes it right :evil:

Hooty481

Hello my name is Brian Stephens my customer number is 77538433 and my login name is Hooty481.

I have purchased a 1970 M49A2C at a local auction back on December 31 2010. What I received as a Title was what I know now to be a SF97 form wich is not in my name or the person that sold it at the auction. In my state I can not get a title for the truck because the SF97 form is not in my name. I have called Government liquidation a couple times before talking with a different person everytime I called. One person had me to send her an e-mail saying that she could give my information to the person that originally purchased the vehicle from Government Liquidation so that he could contact me and help me get a title. No contact was ever made. I called Government Liquidation again and talked with a different person and she told me that she personally called the person who originally purchased the vehicle from Government Liquidation and gave my information and said that he was going to contact me. I still have not been contacted.

I need help so I can get a title for this Vehicle. I have the original SF97 form.

The truck information is:

SF97 Certificate No. SF97-S5374-L6305
Vehicle Identification Number: 37625269032811113
Year: 1970
Make of Vehicle: Kaiser Jeep
Series or Model: M49A2C
Body Style: Tanker Truck
Purchase Price:1,766.90

If there is any other information that is needed please contact me at 2705852009 ask for Brian Stephens

Thank You Brian

this is the e-mail that was sent to GL...

Dear Mr. Stephens,

Thank you for your continued patience. Due to our privacy policy, we cannot release the original owner’s information but we can attempt to contact him on your behalf.

I have attempted to personally contact the customer regarding the SF97 for the below listed vehicle.

Unfortunately, I was unable to reach the customer via phone but I have forwarded the email chain to the customer.
We hope this information has been helpful. If you require additional information, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC003ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTA4MjUwNDg

Customer Service Department
Government Liquidation
DOD Surplus, LLC
15051 N. Kierland Blvd, Ste 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Ph: 480.367.1300
Fax: 480.367.1450
Email: info@govliquidation.com
Online Help:http://www.govliquidation.com/help/index.html

this was the reply... I just got off the phone with them and they said there was nothing more they could do and that I shouldn't call back...

anybody have anyother ideas?

Haven't heard anything from the lawyer yet.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact detriot vintage cycle there is a link in post #9 of this thread .
It's probably going to cost you a couple hundred bucks but they can get you a title within a bout a month they don't charge you until they have your title.

FrankUSMC

Goverment Liquidations has done more than enough to help you on this. At this point you are going to the Ford company and asking them to help you on a car they sold to some one else, but you got stuck with a bad title. It is no longer their fight.
You need to find the guy who's name is on th title, and get him to make the title right for you. Sorry this has happened to you. I almost bought two trucks one time, when I went back to look at them again, found out the guy who was selling the trucks did not even own them!! Just be careful, I hope the auction company can help you.
Good luck, I hope the best for you.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks