• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL & HUMMVe

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
November 19th, 2012.

PMR Ramsey:

You might have noted that the "Army of One" recruiters truck was not an HMMWV, they are all H-3 Hummers, a completely different animal from the military HMMWV's.
I haven't seen the recruiting HMMWVs mentioned by the poster above, but I've seen plenty of other recruiting HMMWVs and they were certainly not Hummer H3's. Of the dozen or so HMMWVs I've examined up close painted in the black and gold scheme all were just repainted HMMWVs not Hummers. All I've seen from a distance looked like repainted HMMWVs, but they could have been H1s.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldnt hold my breath. Im sure it's right up there with dealing with the Fiscal Cliff and turmoil in the Middle East for people in Washington.....

M813A1

Am General considers the HMMWV to be scrap after the Military is done with them !! It is a product Liability issue !! just like Ford with the M151 it was a Product Liability issue !! Both vehicles have independent suspensions and are prone to roll overs if not driven correctly !! So Am General has put out letter to some states that have contacted them and have said they consider the vehicles scrap and not to title the vehicles !! There was a person who posted a copy of a letter sent to them for their state from Am General stating they did not recommend the stsate to issue a title because Am General considers the vehicles to be scrap.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

In the end it will come down to money it always does they will make them expensive (high minimum bid or reserve) then the insurance companies will get their share so it will be a truck for the collector hobbiest of way more means than me and more power to them if they can pay the freight I say let them have them.

ryan77

GL & HUMMVe

In the end it will come down to money it always does they will make them expensive (high minimum bid or reserve) then the insurance companies will get their share so it will be a truck for the collector hobbiest of way more means than me and more power to them if they can pay the freight I say let them have them.
You would buy one old man!! As long as it was under 3 grand!!!

Tanner

... so, buy a civvy Hummer H1 & some camo paint. There!

I fixed it - ;-)

'Tanner'

WeBeJeepin

Ma Duce-
While you are working on releasing HMMWVs, please go ahead and include MRAPs and MATVs on the list for when they get a little older :)

saddamsnightmare

January 22, 2012.

While you gentlemen debate why we should be allowed to own a second class FWD, you might just get attention drawn to the deuces and other vehicles we already have, and should the big kahunas decide to change the demil code to more restrictive versions, we, and you, are all going to be out in the end.

Personally, I prefer the Unimog, not as fast, but much more stable and much more capable....I owned a deuce, and yes, they can be very difficult trucks to drive safely if you have never driven one. Maintenance is key to the safe operation, and a lot of folks on here have bragged about the poor condition of trucks they drove off of GL lots. I would not go down that road again if I were any of you, as the life of this hobby depends on sanity and common sense, not braggadocio and foolishness.....
The chance of any more military HMMWV's coming out is about equal to palm trees growing outside in Minnesota anytime soon. Personally, I have seen HMMWV's in operation, I'll still advocate a U1300L or S404 against the HMMWV any day of the week for usitlity and safety. And T-buckets, I won't even go there because somebody chooses to b------dize a poor old Model T or A, people with money and no sense are found everywhere....IMHO:cry:

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
January 22, 2012.

While you gentlemen debate why we should be allowed to own a second class FWD, you might just get attention drawn to the deuces and other vehicles we already have, and should the big kahunas decide to change the demil code to more restrictive versions, we, and you, are all going to be out in the end.

Personally, I prefer the Unimog, not as fast, but much more stable and much more capable....I owned a deuce, and yes, they can be very difficult trucks to drive safely if you have never driven one. Maintenance is key to the safe operation, and a lot of folks on here have bragged about the poor condition of trucks they drove off of GL lots. I would not go down that road again if I were any of you, as the life of this hobby depends on sanity and common sense, not braggadocio and foolishness.....
The chance of any more military HMMWV's coming out is about equal to palm trees growing outside in Minnesota anytime soon. Personally, I have seen HMMWV's in operation, I'll still advocate a U1300L or S404 against the HMMWV any day of the week for usitlity and safety. And T-buckets, I won't even go there because somebody chooses to b------dize a poor old Model T or A, people with money and no sense are found everywhere....IMHO

But I don't want a Unimog....the greatest military in the world doesn't use Mogs...I want the most iconic military vehicle in history probably equal to the MB/ GPW Jeep.
A basic Hmmwv be it 6.2, 6.5 or 6.5turbo off road is **** near unstoppable...and not driven by some pimply faced kid. I have put Jeepers to shame with my Hummers and hmmwv's. And being I own a few and have owned to many to list I think I speak with some experience.
i was in the Army when Mutts were the norm and the first to drive hmmwv's when My unit got them...the jeep was junk compared to the hmmwv, and I say this from my military experience and own or have owned/restored both.
IMHO, anyone who says they hate the HMMWV is just a hater cuz they can't or don't own one....what's to Hate?
its to noisy? I can't see? Blah blah...really? Yea....a gamma goat or jeep is less noisy and more comfortable?
pleeeease. I have owned or driven all of them for way to many hard miles, they all suck for comfort, speed etc...

now on to the original post. I have to agree with the folks who beleive that this will endanger more then help the HMV
hobby. Take calif for example...it was legal to openly carry on your side a pistol as long as it was unloaded, this law has been around for 100yrs maybe....bit a bunch of smart guys started to organize meets and rallies at Starbucks and other local businesses to show how smart they are....well we all know some A**hole is Sac town Capitol said that can't be so and drafted a law to change it....and they did, good one smart guys!

next up, the bullet button in calif.....local news anchor does story....SF legislature drafts bill to ban them, while it was defeated...it is back up again.

moral of the story is....stay under radar as long as possible.....

JSF01

If went about right, the danger of bringing bad attention to our hobby is minimal. Don't present it as "but X, Y, and Z vehicles are legal!" instead present as "If we make them available for off road use only, Not only would the government get more money for them, they would also save money by not having to pay to demil them. As an added bonus it will help to preserve military history for future generations. Ask your self how many military vehicles are left from WWI. The more that can be saved today the more that have the potential to still survive to be around 100 years from now." If we went about it that way I don't think we have any thing to really worry about. Keeping the conversation to Honoring the troops and it saves the government money, it probably would not meet much resistance at all or debated much at all.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I know there is a lot full of HUMMVEE's at Redstone that are going to be sold as scrap. They will have to be shredded in order to remove them to include the tires. A dam shame since many of them are Command versions (slantback with turret) or have the aftermarket hard shells on them. I thought about complaining to my Congress Critter but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to open an can of worms.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I thought they auctioned them off as scrap and the winning bidder could strip them of drivetrain and such then had to cut up the frame and body on site before taking them as scrap metal. I would be willing to bet the a bunch of the ones out there in the civ market were cut I half and welded back together. Maybe that's why they require shredding now torching them into a few pieces wasn't demilled enough. You could probably take one to a state that will reg an older vehicle with just a bill of sale make one up and reg it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I thought they auctioned them off as scrap and the winning bidder could strip them of drivetrain and such then had to cut up the frame and body on site before taking them as scrap metal. I would be willing to bet the a bunch of the ones out there in the civ market were cut I half and welded back together. Maybe that's why they require shredding now torching them into a few pieces wasn't demilled enough. You could probably take one to a state that will reg an older vehicle with just a bill of sale make one up and reg it.
They allowed that with the M151's and the Gamma Goats. People managed to weld a few of the Jeeps back together but most of them were hack jobs.
My inside source at Redstone tells me they will have to be shredded on site under the watchful eye of DRMO and GL personnel. I would not hold out a lot of hope in getting any parts out in one piece.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks