• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL no longer processing trailer titles ( m1101)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just received an email from GL to the effect that they are having "complications from the government" processing sf97/titles for anything requiring anything sf97/title. Resolution timeframe unknown.

Hard to justify this one as EPA related when the trailer is zero emissions.....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Most likely the entire "works" is all gummed up from the current chaos. I've not heard anything at all about trailer SF97's changing at all.

Artisan

Out here in Granola land, I had a DMV clerk tell me that a PINK SLIP is
not 100% mandatory on small trailers. FWIW Ask you local DMV office
if a pink is required for small trailers before you spend the $60.00

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TX doesn't require one but I like the added security and also in case I decide to sell it out of state or, heaven forbid, move to another state.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
easiest and most hassle free trailer registrations I have ever done are in Maine which are legal no matter where you live. Can be done online and plate arrives in 5 days with a registration. They do not issue titles unless it is very new and then it requires a title to process. I have done 3 m101 and a m105 easy peavy. save your $70? sf97 fee. You can then use the Maine plate and registration and transfer to your state but you will probably have a double sales tax liability.

I use http://www.mainetrailerregistration.com/?gclid=CL_kxb_S0r8CFXNo7AodWRwA8w

Sure is better than the hassle La makes us do.

SWMARTINA

found this on line for you ny state guys

This is an excerpt from the NYSSA Online Magazine article written by Steve Lewis of NYS Parks on Trailer Registrations:

There has been some chatter on the snowmobile websites concerning Maine Trailer Registration by NY residents. Section 250 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law provides the answer and here is how the State Police enforce Section 250. If there is a straight NY commercial registration on the truck, the owner is a NY resident, and they do not have a residence in Maine, it is an illegal registration in NY per Section 250 of the V&T Law. The NYS Motor Truck Association has advised their members that “NY State law prohibits the registration of trailers in another state other than NY unless the carrier has a physical place of business, at which the vehicles are housed, within the state of registration. A mailing address or agent in the state of Maine does not meet this requirement.” So if you have a trailer registered in Maine and are not a resident of Maine... beware.

ke5eua

found this on line for you ny state guys

This is an excerpt from the NYSSA Online Magazine article written by Steve Lewis of NYS Parks on Trailer Registrations:

There has been some chatter on the snowmobile websites concerning Maine Trailer Registration by NY residents. Section 250 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law provides the answer and here is how the State Police enforce Section 250. If there is a straight NY commercial registration on the truck, the owner is a NY resident, and they do not have a residence in Maine, it is an illegal registration in NY per Section 250 of the V&T Law. The NYS Motor Truck Association has advised their members that “NY State law prohibits the registration of trailers in another state other than NY unless the carrier has a physical place of business, at which the vehicles are housed, within the state of registration. A mailing address or agent in the state of Maine does not meet this requirement.” So if you have a trailer registered in Maine and are not a resident of Maine... beware.
Might want to tell them that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405821959.138311.jpg

Crawdaddy

I have to agree that for just a registration, registering a trailer in Maine is the way to go. Like Juan said, it's super easy and cheap to register a trailer from Maine. In Louisiana, you have to get all sorts of physical inspections, prove where the trailer came from or receipts showing where every axle, spring, nut and bolt came from, and then title it before being able to register it. It's a severe pain in the butt when you can give Maine around $125 for a 5-year plate. The only downside is you don't get a title out of the deal.

EDIT: And they do any and all trailers, commercial or private, so long as the trailer does not have sleeping quarters in it. So, no campers can be registered.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Here in CT they usually won't issue a trailer title your reg cert is the "title" and can be used to transfer. It may be different for high value trailers like a 5th wheel motor home but I have had some decent size trailers before here and was never issued a title.
Will

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am no expert in NY law but I know most intermodal chassis fleets are registered in Maine as they are state of "convenience". With a large port and intermodal operations in Port Elizabeth , NJ &n NYC, there has to be plenty of Maine container chassis on the road being driven by NY companies.

Lots of trailers here in New Orleans carry OK or Maine plates serving the port.

Companies don't want the hassle of different state requirements and taxes. Maine makes a killing registering trailers for large companies because they "get it" Kind of like Delaware gets it for Incorporating Companies and business friendly.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thing is... I got these things to sell, when there were a bunch available close by at once. I don't advertise anything for sale until I have the titles in hand, but several of these sold just by means of people knowing I had them etc. People who buy a trailer expect a title to come with it (and rightfully so). The buyers knew full well that sf97/titles were pending, but we all expected a month, not "timeframe unknown".

The secret to good customer service: set expectations that you can always meet, then exceed expectations as consistently as lossible. This is a serious hindrance to me meeting expectations.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
They have never been in the dmv system before. You might get away with making a bill of sale from you to them. As long as they are more than 25 years old I don't see how dmv can complain. It would be different for something that had been in the nationwide dmv computer system prior, then the new buyer would need a bill of sale from the previous registered owner since history would be checked upon new registration.

Artisan

Thing is... I got these things to sell, when there were a bunch available close by at once. I don't advertise anything for sale until I have the titles in hand, but several of these sold just by means of people knowing I had them etc. People who buy a trailer expect a title to come with it (and rightfully so). The buyers knew full well that sf97/titles were pending, but we all expected a month, not "timeframe unknown".

The secret to good customer service: set expectations that you can always meet, then exceed expectations as consistently as lossible. This is a serious hindrance to me meeting expectations.

So what's new? I received a lot less a very expensive item. They don't care. FILL OUT THIS FORM sir,
so they send the form, all questions are specifically designed so they can wiggle there way out
from under it. They do not care, no one will call to see if anyone saw anything, they will not
look at security videos, no one wants to deal w/ you, just fill out the form then NOTHING. You only
get a "We are an online company, there are no managers to speak to" if you ask for better help.
The GL lots are a thieves dream. No one watches, heck HUGE mufflers, stacks, mud flap assemblies
walk off there lots! Ask me how I know! Get in their face and they just delete you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks