• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Trouble

USMilitarySurplus

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

WillWagner and FMJ: I regret that you had an unpleasant experience. I hear folks talk about our onsite personnel, either liking or disliking, but it's rare that they actually have names. Please consider submitting something in writing to Customer Service at info at govliquidation dot com in order to make it official.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

Well, Unless he's gone (Dave S.) the next time I go there to pick up a lot, I really don't want to burn any bridges. But suffice it to say that of the locations I have visited (Kirtland, El Paso, Pineville, Fort Huachuca) to recover lots, Barstow is the most unpleasant location to deal with.

area52

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

USMilitarySurplus said:
I can't speculate on how long it will be before the titling paperwork currently in the pipeline will be mailed out. Like I said before, our Titling Department is processing paperwork that was received mid January. I can tell you that they hired additional help though.

As stated previously, there are costs involved to process the paperwork. As I understand it, anytime/ anywhere that you request/ require titling paperwork, there will be a fee of some kind. The $60 is a figure that was deemed appropriate when our costs were considered. And currently, that fee is being waived to increase turn around time of the titling paperwork.

As for the process itself, there are buyers who don't need/ want titles, so a completed title request form let's us know that you want one. I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea what is legal or illegal, but we do issue titles. In fact, if you think you may sell the vehicle one day, please do request the paperwork when you purchase it so you’ll be prepared.

Please also note that titles are US Government controlled documents. We have a large buyer base and there are times when EUCs don’t clear or customers don’t complete the payment or they fail to pick up. Titling paperwork will be released to the actual/ cleared buyer of the vehicle.

Just in case there's a miscommunication that goes even deeper than that: we have a department that processes SF97s and that’s all they do. We have people dedicated to this task alone. I'm stating the obvious just in case. I can hear forms being printed while I've been typing this. [Actually, the printer is obnoxiously loud so it's good news for your ears but not so much for mine. :wink: ]
I understand that you do issue titles/SF-97's but to charge us extra to get the title is not right or legal I believe. The used car dealer charges to flip the title and get registration/plates. You are not flipping the title to my name, just printing one up in your name with a bill of sale.

Who else can answer my legal questions if not you?

thank you for you time

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

FMJ, yeah, he told us things disappear...what am I gonna do, put a truck under my trenchcoat? C'mon, All we want to do is look at the vehicles. Some of the ones at Barstow come from Irwin and are beat. Sometimes the pics don't show the abuse they have taken.

portert0224

USMilitarySurplus said:
I can't speculate on how long it will be before the titling paperwork currently in the pipeline will be mailed out. Like I said before, our Titling Department is processing paperwork that was received mid January. I can tell you that they hired additional help though.

As stated previously, there are costs involved to process the paperwork. As I understand it, anytime/ anywhere that you request/ require titling paperwork, there will be a fee of some kind. The $60 is a figure that was deemed appropriate when our costs were considered. And currently, that fee is being waived to increase turn around time of the titling paperwork.

As for the process itself, there are buyers who don't need/ want titles, so a completed title request form let's us know that you want one. I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea what is legal or illegal, but we do issue titles. In fact, if you think you may sell the vehicle one day, please do request the paperwork when you purchase it so you’ll be prepared.

Please also note that titles are US Government controlled documents. We have a large buyer base and there are times when EUCs don’t clear or customers don’t complete the payment or they fail to pick up. Titling paperwork will be released to the actual/ cleared buyer of the vehicle.

Just in case there's a miscommunication that goes even deeper than that: we have a department that processes SF97s and that’s all they do. We have people dedicated to this task alone. I'm stating the obvious just in case. I can hear forms being printed while I've been typing this. [Actually, the printer is obnoxiously loud so it's good news for your ears but not so much for mine. :wink: ]
You are selling the company line. I spoke with your Title Clerk in Sep 07 and she said she was THE Title Dept, ie, she was the only person doing ALL SF 97 requests fore every vehicle sold by GL. It is no wonder it takes over 30 days to get an SF 97. Recently, I complained repeatedly to your "senior management" about the delays in my SF 97s (over 60 days for one and nearly 80 days for another). I finally got a reply in March 08 that they hired more staff in the Title Dept. So what do y'all have now, two Title Clerks?

portert0224

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

area52 said:
Answer this question dear GL rep:

Has anyone done due dilegence (sp?) on the legal side of selling vehicles in the U.S. without a title/SF-97?

I am 99% certain in most states its not legal.
How about has GL done due diligence in refunding the 6.5% NC sales tax back to customers who won vehicles sold at GL sites in NC? GL charged me sales tax for my M1009 auctioned at Lejeune. I was already aware that NC does not collect sales tax on new or used vehicles and only collected a road use tax on vehicles titled and tagged in NC. It took me over two weeks of calling, e-mailing, online chat, and threatening to report GL to the NC and US Attorney General for sales fraud before they finally refunded me the sales tax collected. But I was the squeaky wheel. I wonder if they were ethical enough to refund everyone they've erroneously collected NC Sales Tax on over the years.

USMilitarySurplus

area52 said:
I understand that you do issue titles/SF-97's but to charge us extra to get the title is not right or legal I believe. The used car dealer charges to flip the title and get registration/plates. You are not flipping the title to my name, just printing one up in your name with a bill of sale.

Who else can answer my legal questions if not you?

thank you for you time
If I understand your post correctly, you're assuming that there is a law that bars us from charging a fee for processing the titles. Is that correct?

area52

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

I am saying that you are charging me to get a form that should already be with the vehicle. Most if not all states require any vehicle( even scrap ones) to be sold with a title as part of the purchase.

GL is selling vehicles then charging for the title. I am not a lawyer also, but have been around the used vehicle market for a while in different states, so I know how some of them do their title process. A title should be made out before the sale, even if the buyer does not want one.

Blythewoodjoe

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

area52 said:
I am saying that you are charging me to get a form that should already be with the vehicle. Most if not all states require any vehicle( even scrap ones) to be sold with a title as part of the purchase.
That's the case here in SC. It is a violation of state law to sell a vehicle with out a title. GL is a LLC not the Federal government. It took me a few days but I think I have found the right people at the DMV that are looking into this. They have told me I must have a title from the seller in 45 days or less. That's the law, not a GL policy. The fact that GL has sold me a vehcile they don't know anything about is also a point of concern. Fraud is a big concern and the fact that GL is selling vehicles and asking the buyer to provide important information is opening the door to some real problems. What is keeping someone from buying a junk truck that is repairable and getting a 97 for a stolen vehicle. Wait, I know the answer, very little. The fact is this is a very sloppy way of doing business and a real business could never get away with it. I think most of us have been around long enough to see through all this and it appears that at least some of us are getting through to the authorities.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

Guys..... Lets be careful PUSHING this title issue as a Law....

Real simple end result will come of it... all vehicles will be sold as SCRAP ONLY!

Tread Lightly!

or more appropriately... Chose your Battles

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Oh for the days of picking the SF 97 up at the office of the DRMO on the way out of the gate. Beurocracy is not a good thing. That is one reason we all like Steel Soldiers it is almost free of it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robyn,
If at all possible, please give us some notice if GL decides to go back to charging for the SF97 and dealer reassignment form. I was very happy to hear that this fee has been waived.

Thanks!

area52

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Trouble

mangus580 said:
Guys..... Lets be careful PUSHING this title issue as a Law....

Real simple end result will come of it... all vehicles will be sold as SCRAP ONLY!

Tread Lightly!

or more appropriately... Chose your Battles

Mike,

I hear what your saying but if we don't push the idea that maybe GL is not doing things according to the law, then we will be stuck with the same results.

Scrap vehicles need title also :D

ackcarus

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Troub

Must car dealers now days charge a paper-processing fee. I would have no problem paying the 60.00 if I got the SF97 when I picked of a truck or trailer. It the waiting near on “forever” and then being charged. Trying to get the LAW to work in the common mans favor rarely does.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GL Troub

I can confirm that even scrap vehicles would need a title. The only way around it is for them to cut the thing up like mutts. Then it becomes scrap metal. They could call the vehicles scrap but until they cut them up they would still need titles for most states that require one. Like so much in life I just have to conform the to situation instead of trying to conform the situation to me. Less waisted energy trying to swim upsteam. The situation leaves room for improvement but also leaves room to make it worse.

1956_4x4

area52 said:

GL is selling vehicles then charging for the title. I am not a lawyer also, but have been around the used vehicle market for a while in different states, so I know how some of them do their title process. A title should be made out before the sale, even if the buyer does not want one.
I'd say it's a little misleading to say that GL is selling the vehicle, then charging for the title. The cost of the title is specified in the terms and each prospective buyer should be reading these terms prior to bidding on the item. I tend to add the SF-97, tax, surcharge, fuel costs, time for pick-up and anything else I can come up with to the total price of the item as I decide my maximum bid. If the total is too high, I just don't bid. Some people on here sound like there is someone with a whip forcing them to bid on an item. I've been told that a copy of the GL paid receipt acts as a bill of sale. I was able to print it out and register my last two M101 trailers.

The waiting period for a SF-97 is my biggest concern. It defies all logic to wait 3 months for a form that was created prior to my vehicle purchase. I think the $60 cost for the form is too high, but I know about it prior to placing a bid on the item so it's a cost I accept. I had my first SF-97 within 3 weeks, but that was when they first started charging for the form and I'm sure the backlog was small. My last SF-97s took over 3 months, but were created prior to the vehicle sale.

As for the personnel that man the GL sites, the individuals at Camp Blanding, Ft. Rucker, Montgomery, and Eglin have always gone out of their way to help me out.

I think it's good to have a GL representative on the site to answer some of our questions. It might be good to remember not to be bashing this person, since they are under no obligation to be here (this statement is not directed at any single person. 8) 8) 8) 8) )

Smitty

mangus580

1956_4x4 said:
The waiting period for a SF-97 is my biggest concern. It defies all logic to wait 3 months for a form that was created prior to my vehicle purchase.
I think you are missing the point behind the waiting period on the form. It is NOT created prior to your purchase anymore.

The new SF-97 system was set up, to make it so your 97 is correct the FIRST time. You have to verify (with a law enforcment officer) that the Data is accurate. You send it to them, they Generate a 97 for you. I also think there is some sort of Military approval before they generate the final 97. I honestly think the fee was set to be appropriate to GL's costs. While I am sure they are making a slight profit on the 97, I am guessing its probably pretty minimal.

1956_4x4

mangus580 said:
1956_4x4 said:
The waiting period for a SF-97 is my biggest concern. It defies all logic to wait 3 months for a form that was created prior to my vehicle purchase.
I think you are missing the point behind the waiting period on the form. It is NOT created prior to your purchase anymore.

The new SF-97 system was set up, to make it so your 97 is correct the FIRST time. You have to verify (with a law enforcment officer) that the Data is accurate. You send it to them, they Generate a 97 for you. I also think there is some sort of Military approval before they generate the final 97. I honestly think the fee was set to be appropriate to GL's costs. While I am sure they are making a slight profit on the 97, I am guessing its probably pretty minimal.
This might be the case for most auctions. I received my SF-97s two months ago and they were created prior to the auction even being advertised on GL. My SF-97s had nothing to do with the sale to me, but seemed to be a transfer from the government to GL. When I received the SF-97 for the M-1031, I could see the costs being eaten up in the three (from them, from me, and from them with the finished product) Fedex transfers, but this did not happen on my last purchase.

The last purchase was for a pair of M-101 trailers and the SF-97 was a little different. Florida requires a title (not a SF-97) on vehicle sales and GL now provides it. However, Florida does not title the M-101 trailers due to the weight and they just register them without an actual title. I had GL provide copies of the SF-97 for these vehicles since I may not be in Florida much longer and may want to sell the trailers in another state. This was outside of the norm for GL and they may generate a new SF-97 for most vehicles.

Smitty

mangus580

Smitty.... they may still date the 97 with the date of transfer from the Govt to them.

Keep in mind... everything I say is speculation, based off my research, and what I have seen posted, and elsewhere....

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... but its been a couple weeks now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks