• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Trouble

chuck500cc

Hey Robyn,

If you could post a picture of an EUC with fake names(Mr.Smith on 123 ABC street, Anywhere USA) that would be great so we could have guide to what it should look like. Do one for individiual buyer and one for a tax exempt buyer. This would cut down on some of the rejected EUC's. Maybe ask the folks who handle them every day to put together exactly what they want to see, including suggestions for DL pic's and the like.

Welcome aboard,

Chuck XD Fan

Melvinitis

Robyn: to the extent you need a second vote for smaller lots on scrap... you have one. Also, even some none scrap items like right now in MN, GL has a whole bunch of two per lot, lots of equipemtn shelters... I see there are a lot, but offer half of them as one per lot, lots... I know GL wants to get rid of items fast, and sometimes combining things into larger lots needs to occure, but set a few aside for us hobbiests.

Thanks for watching us and your williness to take a lot of these suggestions back to the powers the be.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool to see Robyn aboard, but back to the original question. GL at Letterkenny was told to "get this crap out" by DRMO. So they had to move everything. No, they didn't drive it, it was all transported by a contracted local shipper. Meaning they came lifted and yanked. From first hand experience, we were doing everything we could to move trucks around. Dragging them, pushing them, etc. And not with "padding". It's just a logistical problem where I think this time GL is in the middle. Hence the sudden appearance of trucks at Ft. Indiantown Gap. Notice the contact number is Mechanicsburg GL. They are literally out of room at Letterkenny and don't have much space in the yard at Mechanicsburg.

I haven't heard of lots being moved from other GL sites. But expect too soon as the surplus is released.

Just my .02

mangus580

eco....

Maybe they shouldnt have started combining lots... (ie not selling at places like Ft Drum anymore and instead shipping them to Letterkenny)

chuck500cc

Please, if you are out of room send them to Tx., Ok., Nm., or La. If they can bring the same $$ like Camp L, bring them down here. Like I said, all the northen folks have all the cool stuff. I have 200 acres near the Rad River Army depot if you guy's need some........well..........storage area. [thumbzup] :drool: :wink:

"Kirk Out"
Chuck XD Fan

Mike_Pop

I stopped at the GL tent at Aberdeen last year. They were auctioning off a truck or something. Very nice people and very helpful.

Welcome to the site!

jim-m35a2

Roybn,

Tell Cynthia Hudgins thanks. Everytime I called her she answered the phone and she was very helpfull. That is unhead of this day and age. I have heard, from this site, all the site managers for GL are nice to deal with.

So................when is my EUC going to clear... :D Just kidding

Jim
________
BUY CHEAP VOLCANO VAPORIZER

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to Ft Meade Thursday just to see where the DRMO site was. I was in DC on business and stayed with a relative who lives close to the base.

We went to the site but could not get inside the compound but we did see a woman in the parking lot and she told us that the other GL DRMO sites are running out of room and they are moving stuff to her location.

The storage compound is elevated so you can't see anything inside unless you are on the base (we were) or actually inside the fence. Saw the trucks and wrecker and the one lone pontoon boat in the corner by itself.

I may be able to get my relative to go over and look for you guys. They are also a member of the SS site.

Kongo is his id.

nhdiesel

I'm not sure I like what is happening here. I'm not big into MVs like most of the members on here, so my opinion really holds very little value...but maybe others might agree but just haven't posted yet. I thought this site was a forum for MV owners to openly discuss their vehicles, repairs, etc. Fantastic. First problem I saw was when a rule was made to not allow specific GL auction info discussions. Well many bidders might want to ask questions about a specific lot, the condition of it, etc. Now that will ve very much limited. Then GL was allowed to advertise here. I see that as a conflict of interest. Our goals are to buy an item for the lowest price possible, and they want the most money possible. Not to mention how many people on here have had problems with GL. Would the NRA allow an anti-gun group to advertise on their site or in their publications? And now we have GL employees on here.

Whats going to happen to people who post a problem about GL? Will GL single them out and make their lives even more difficult (if that's possible)? I know most of the members on here would be very difficult to connect with their GL accounts, but there are many of us who live in rural areas where there is no chance of another GL buyer living close by.

As for the question above about exactly what an EUC should look like, well that doesn't really matter...its more up to how bad of a day the GL employee is having. My father had an EUC approved after several revisions. The next week he won another auction and had to fill out another EUC. He copied the approved EUC exactly, with the exception of the lot number. Well that one had to be revised...several times!

-Name withheld to protect my privacy :lol:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with not discussing GL auctions is the following: A discussion starts out with "I inspected XYZ truck today, and saw the following problems or not" Eventually, the discussion migrates to "I wont pay more than $XXX for the truck". Another poster says "I think it is worth $YYY" This could be construed as colusion, and specifically prohibited by Federal Law. Uncle Sam has prosecuted individuals and businesses in the past for such actions with DRMO/GL auctions.. The details are easily Googleable. Several major dealers have done it, and paid the fines. We dont want that to happen here.

This site has had several advertisers here, some stay, some have gone, and GL is just another advertiser here. They pay their $ for their ad, and get the space for it. Same as any other advertiser here.. Running this website does not happen for free, and the amount of donations coming in does not cover the costs of running it. If the members want to make this a paid site, (you pay X dollars to be able to read the posts and post your comments, then perhaps advertising would go away.. Somehow I dont see the membership going for this though)

The GL rep is here to try to iron out problems on the GL and customer side, and act as liason between the customer and GL... Lets give it a chance.. You never know, it just may make things easier on all avenues. I dont know of many other companies doing the same thing, trying to get the pulse of the customer and adress their concerns.

There is also the last option, if you dont like it here, you can go elsewhere... Thats whats great about America, the freedom of choice and to be able to own America's old War Machines...

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mangus580 said:
eco....

Maybe they shouldnt have started combining lots... (ie not selling at places like Ft Drum anymore and instead shipping them to Letterkenny)
Wonder how much is DRMO creating lots and how much is GL. I tend to think DRMO creates the lots. GL doesn't buy the surplus from DRMO then maintains ownership until it's sold to us. They are just the auction house. So DRMO would then tell GL what to sell and what all is included.

Not sure who is paying to ship trucks to other lots once sold. That can't be cheap. Especially when no attempt is made to drive. Seems like they could save money by letting DRMO repair trucks to running condition first to avoid a short transport by wrecker or trailer. Makes perfect sense to me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been biting my tounge for couple of days now but I've decided to give my 2 cents. I just want everyone to remember when dealing with GL on this forum that they want to get as much for trucks as they can ( I can't blame them,it's their job) and we want to get them as cheap as we can. I want to welcome Robyn and think she will be a great help to those having problems but GL seems to be trying to come across as "one of us" witch they are not.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if deemed inapropriate.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ty, I agree with your post, but do not think that it should be molested. It is not attacking anyone and is stating your opinion.

surpdlr

ecostruction said:
mangus580 said:
eco....

Wonder how much is DRMO creating lots and how much is GL. I tend to think DRMO creates the lots. GL doesn't buy the surplus from DRMO then maintains ownership until it's sold to us. They are just the auction house. So DRMO would then tell GL what to sell and what all is included.

Not sure who is paying to ship trucks to other lots once sold. That can't be cheap. Especially when no attempt is made to drive. Seems like they could save money by letting DRMO repair trucks to running condition first to avoid a short transport by wrecker or trailer. Makes perfect sense to me.
You need to go and read The Government Liquidation contract. They do buy the items from the Government. They are then permitted to sell the items ANY way they see fit (sealed bid, auction, negotiated sale, etc). This is why GL WILL NOT make a successful bidder list available, they are a private company and not subject to government rules, at least when it is convenient to them. Other times they are a “partner” of the government if that is convenient that day.

As to who pays to move items, the freight bill comes out of the money GL is to pay to the government after the sale of the items, as in we (the tax payer) pay the GL freight bill. This is why material from DDRE (New Cumberland PA) goes to Norfolk VA, and or Huntsville AL (at least it used to make it that far south).Keep in mind that all the DDRE material used to come out at Mechanicsburg, with overflow going to Letterkenny. Since it cost’s GL nothing to send the material where ever, they will continue to squander our tax dollars!!!

USMilitarySurplus

Gents,

I received three responses in regards to items being moved from one site to another - thank you for the info. It's rare that items are moved but, as already discussed, space is at a premium. The majority of our warehouse space and storage yards are shared with the other departments on base. Moving items from one locale to another is not our first choice but it is a good sign that surplus is making it's way through the pipeline. Thankfully, each of you were notified by site personnel prior to pick up that the move had been made and there were no subsequent issues.

Just an FYI, I'm compiling a list of the suggestions and concerns being expressed here so that when the GL thread is created, they can be addressed directly. And ad nauseam. :wink:

mangus580

Robyn, does the staff who orchestrated such movment of already purchased equipment understand that most bidders bid a specific location for a reason? This has put a couple of guys in a situation of unexpected costs, driving up the price of their purchase. I dont know how they feel about it, but in my opinion, its breach of the sale contract. (I am assuming there is no fine print that I have missed...)

TheBuggyman

Well, thought I would post up also......

I just won my first truck and trailer through GL so my experience is limited in this but here is my opinion anyway-

I found the GL representative for my EUC (Shiela Rozum) to be very helpful and prompt, the guys on site where I picked up the truck (who I do not know if they are GL employess or not) to be very friendly and helpful too.

All in all it is a pain to get through the process, but remember- you are, in part, dealing with the federal government. Every veteran on this board has memory of this, deal with it and be on your "A" game because nothing will ever change.

Would I do it again? Absolutely! The little bit of hassle to get trucks like ours with history, honor and character is no price to pay in my eyes.

And remember, everyone drops the ball sometimes. I'm sure that the GL people catch alot of crap from folks who want their stuff yesterday and I'm reasonably sure that they never get a thank you when stuff goes smoothly.

The mere fact that we have a GL rep on our forum should speak well for GL and hopefully things will get even better for the MV owners!

USMilitarySurplus

mangus580: If you know people specifically that this has happened to, please ask them to contact me. I cannot promise that past issues will be rectified but I can determine if we need a plan for the future and what that plan should involve.

Thank you for the kind words, Buggyman.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks