• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Removal Tool

Would you like to see this issued to the current active duty mechanics?

• Total voters

Solid Gold

This is good kit!

You could probably drive every vehicle in the motor pool over this tool and do no damage to it- and it's soldier proof!

Yes, you've been coin checked - Airborne!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1G5PLAjGg[/media]

Solid Gold

www.jjandaracing.com

Go to the left of their webpage and scroll down to GLOW PLUG TOOL, and there you'll have it with free shipping!

Fearing the dreaded stuck glow plugs was a major suck in my project, now it's an "easy cheese" task for any motor monkey using this tool!

Can you tell I've been working on the "Rat Rig" lately?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You CUCV guys are you guys having a lot of trouble with the glow plugs that came in the units. Pete just got one and I told him that he might want to change out to a newer or better plug. I have changed out my share but have never had the bulb end problem or needed the tool for the civi units I have worked on. Thanks.

Solid Gold

Just got the tool last week, I've used it on my engine and made a video of it to get the word out.

Mines for sale if people don't mind slightly used - make an offer if interested.

Will throw down a good deal if you're active military and work on HMMWV and related diesel engines as my way of giving back to you.

Let me know, only have the one you see in the video to offer up.

Solid Gold

Just letting everyone know that the 4 Star General member 84CUCV1ton will now be the new owner of the actual tool used in this video post - I gave him an honest deal.

Active Duty Military, I still want you motor pool guys to get your hands on one - especially if you are deploying overseas with the 6.2 and 6.5 diesel engines.

Remember that you get what you pay for and this Swollen Glow Plug Extractor Tool is CNC Machined Alloy Steel, Heat Treated, Oxide Coated and most importantly 100% MADE IN AMERICA - again, designed to be SOLDIER PROOF!

New News: TACOM is looking for any input on this tool, once approved it will get assigned a National Stock Number and put into service. If you'd like to help and have used this tool, your input is desperately needed and they'd be grateful for any correspondence to: Jody McInerney HMMWV Sustainment Team DSN:786-6277 Comm: (810) 574-6277 E-mail: mcinernj@tacom.army.mil

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ABSOLUTELY! Bought this tool when I first got my M1008 and had to change out FOUR (4) swollen gp's---- this thing worked like a charm! Did the job in about 30 mins and took my sweet time. If you've got the stuck-GP blues, get this thing and save yourself tons of work--- Highly, highly HIGHLY reccomended... this item should be added to the Wiki as standard equipment--- it's that good!

linx310

I have 4 or 5 bad glow plugs in my M1009 I need to change out. I am betting they are swollen so I just ordered one of these things based on your guys recommendations.

Figured the $89 it cost is less then the 4 or so hours and 50 or so cuss words that would probably come out of my mouth trying to remove them.

I will let yall know how it works out.

chevyCUCV

I got the tool today. It really helped with the 7 swollen glow plugs i found.

None broke which was good cause i didn't feel like fishing.

Wouldnt do it any other way, cost is high but i expect i'll have it for many truck

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the tool today. It really helped with the 7 swollen glow plugs i found.

None broke which was good cause i didn't feel like fishing.

Wouldnt do it any other way, cost is high but i expect i'll have it for many truck

BRAVO!!!!

The best invention since sliced bread!

Now you can rent the tool out to friends and family and maybe make you money back!!!!rofl

gsp45

Best money I ever spent on a tool for a CUCV. They should come "standard issue" with all CUCV's. Its not IF you'll ever need it.......it's WHEN you'll need it.

chevyCUCV

**** **** **** **** I spoke too soon. Yesterday i had removed 5 of the stuck ones.
Today I worked on the last 2, and on the final one only half a glow plug came out

I thought this tool was going to prevent this, but still one gp ended up in the head.
I had the tool on right and did not wiggle or push it either direction, i was just turning with a wrench and i heard a crack noise, then the tool spun much easier.
I felt in the threads with a little screwdriver and i can feel the tip stuck there.

Oh well, now time to find an injector socket and get the chunk out.

dmetalmiki

agree with chevy cucv

We have problems with ex military chevies that have swolen plugs. (as well as the dreaded (stupid design on the side of the fuel pump (get it really hot so it dont work electronic computer gizmo!)) requiring a transplant via extended cable to the front grill. The glow plugs usually do what happend to you "crack" and snap. I really dont see how the tool alleviates the swolen head of the glow plug. It must trust to broaching the stem and tip out I guess. but if the tip is really swolen then it is NOT coming out no matter without breaking. my 10c since doing many of these trucks.

Onestar

Is anyone interested in selling/renting the used tool they have. I am having trouble finding one and have 4 swollen plugs that I can't get out. Any help would be greatly appreciated in the Northern Virginia area. RENTING or selling the tool. Thank.

PM me

K9Vic

Is anyone interested in selling/renting the used tool they have. I am having trouble finding one and have 4 swollen plugs that I can't get out. Any help would be greatly appreciated in the Northern Virginia area. RENTING or selling the tool. Thank.

PM me
You should not be posting want ads here, but to answer your question the video in the OP first post shows a business card from the company.

This is where I bought mine.
GLOW PLUG TOOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks