• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Removal Tool

Would you like to see this issued to the current active duty mechanics?

• Total voters

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
**** **** **** **** I spoke too soon. Yesterday i had removed 5 of the stuck ones.
Today I worked on the last 2, and on the final one only half a glow plug came out

I thought this tool was going to prevent this, but still one gp ended up in the head.
I had the tool on right and did not wiggle or push it either direction, i was just turning with a wrench and i heard a crack noise, then the tool spun much easier.
I felt in the threads with a little screwdriver and i can feel the tip stuck there.

Oh well, now time to find an injector socket and get the chunk out.
Wonder how that came out for you? By now--- all well I hope! When I did my 4 stuck plugs I used WD-40 and even some 30 wt oil squirted inside the pre-chamber just to hopefully, help the little buggers along. One thing though, the plugs didn't have overly swollen tips or I may have had same probs as you...[thumbzup]

chevyCUCV

I ended up just running it, It caused no problems.
The engine however decided to blow the headgasket and then develop rod knock, the tip never even moved from the precombustion chamber.

I have the tool in Massachusetts if anyone needs to borrow it,

Dumpster Diver

That tool makes it look too easy! Couple years ago I used the OTC glow plug removal tool to some success. One came out cleanly and the other tip broke off. Ended up chancing it and the compression blew it out.

nattieleather

Huh...I must be a lucky guy...maybe I'll play the lotto or something.... I just removed my glow plugs and they all just came right out with no problem. None broke or anything.

armytruck63

I just replaced my glow plugs with Autolite 1110's if I remember correctly. I had two swollen glow plugs, on cylinders 7 and 8. The tool removed those two glow plugs successfully, but if you have swollen plugs on those two cylinders you're in for a bit of work to get them out. On cylinder #7 the oil cooler lines are sort of in the way. I removed the rear battery to get better access to the glow plug on cylinder #8.

The threads on my glow plug removal tool seemed very tight, so I coated them with grease so they would turn a little easier.

I had to change the connector on the glow plug wires to a standard spade type to use the Autolite glow plugs.

SGT Estum

I got all mine out without special tools and without beak-offs. Some came right out easily and others were a bit more tricky. In particular, #7 didn't want to come out so I just kept ratcheting it around and applying gentle pressure until it eventually came out.

K9Vic

Out of the six GP I have had to pull with this tool one still broke on me, so I had to pull the injector. Good think it was the very front one on the passenger side so it was super easy to access. Before I had the tool I had to replace one in the 2nd to last on passenger side. Had to remove the battery tray to see & get to it.

The attached picture shows the broken GP that snapped with the tool, you can see just how swollen it is. The one intact next to it was also removed with the tool as you can see the thread marks. It also shows just how swollen they can get to just be too large to not pull out with out help.

Attachments

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried making the tool listed in the TM's for the HMMWV? It is figure D 63.1 on page 48 of Appendix D. I too went to order one from the company. Out of stock. I may try to fabricate the tool listed in the TM, but wanted to know if anyone has tried it first.

Thanks.

fallen

I sent them an Email and they advised the Tool would be in stock this week. They were apparently out being case hardened. I would like a more economical solution. Especially this time of year.

K9Vic

I sent them an Email and they advised the Tool would be in stock this week. They were apparently out being case hardened. I would like a more economical solution. Especially this time of year.
Using a visegrips to try and pull/tread it out is cheap. Or buy a hemostats and a 30mm deep socket from Harbor Freight for a total cost of about $20. Break tip off and remove injector, use hemostats to remove tip. However with the incorrect 30mm deep socket you can damage the return line tips.

That would be your economical solution if you do not want to spend the money for the best tool for the job. I just used mine to remove one swollen injector in a M1009 I am rebuilding. I have used the tool like 10 times now and it was well worth it.

I will post my video here as well.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwBXG6wZsg[/media]

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard from JJracing. Same story. I was able to find some in stock at www.PMDCable.com, Home of the PMD and FSD Extension. I spoke with the owner and he is sending one out tomorrow. He said he still has a few left.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks