• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs

johnjr

I changed my glow plugs to delco 60g's a week ago, they all are burnt out now! When I first did it I kept the resistor in but it started smoking and truck was hard starting.I did the resistor bypass with apush button still hard starting. Starts fine warm. The truck started easier with the 3 good wellmans! I am getting 24 volts to each glow plug wire. Is this too much for the 60's? Should I have done the bypass as soon as I put The 60's in? Could I have gotten a bad set? I tested each one before I put them in. If I put Kennedys in do I do the bypass first? Very frustrated! And the 60's do swell! truck is 85 1009. Thanks!

Westech

CPL
the 60's are 12V not 24.. you fried them. You bypassed the resistor that kicks it from 24-12... when you remove that resistor you need to hook the power wire to the first battery....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you toasted the new plugs. Ouch.

You did a bypass of the resistor and not the 12v conversion. When you bypass the resistor you have to move the "feed" wire to the 12v side of the electrical system, not leave it on the 24v side.

Expensive leason. Sorry.

edpdx

Can someone straighten this all out please.

If one just puts these plugs in will they fry if one doesn't make changes to the stock system? My Blazer is still running the 24volt starter. I thought it was a straight change of plugs without any other mods?!? :?

Westech

CPL
right.. the glow plugs are 12 VOLT! The resestor on the Fire wall brings the 24 down to 12V. You can install any 6.2 civy plug you wish. IF you bypass the resistor you need to move the power wire to a 12V source.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone straighten this all out please.

If one just puts these plugs in will they fry if one doesn't make changes to the stock system? My Blazer is still running the 24volt starter. I thought it was a straight change of plugs without any other mods?!? :?

In a stock system, just replacing the plugs is fine. No modifications required except for maybe the type of connectors.

The OP bypassed the GP resister and sent the straight 24v to the plugs. Will fry them in a short period of time.

Cucvnut

cant you just put the power wire from the top stud on the relay to the 12v junction block thats above and to the left of the relay to convert it to 12v ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, yes you can.

johnjr

Just to clarify, when I did the bypass I ran 12 volts to the relay! I did the pushbutton because the 60's need more time to get hot. There is alot of conflicting replies to my question, this is why when I first put 60's in I left resistor in.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC60G glow plugs should(and do) work just fine with a completely stock cucv gp system.

AC60G glow plugs should(and do) work just fine with a stock cucv gp system that has been supplied with 12 volts(instead of the stock 24v through the large resistor).

AC60G glow plugs work fine with just a manual push button also.

Have you gone through the component/system test procedure listed in the TMs?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a post explaining how to do the push button bypass?

An advanced search in the CUCV forum for, push, button, bypass ,will get you 29 threads

mistaken1

Just to clarify, when I did the bypass I ran 12 volts to the relay!

What relay, the glow plug relay?

You ran 12V to the coil or to the power contacts or both?

The glow plug relay should already have 12V going to the coil. All you do with the manual push button is complete the coil circuit to ground (chassis).

kentuckycucv

"AC60G glow plugs should(and do) work just fine with a completely stock cucv gp system"

This statement is kind of True... This is BAD ADVISE.... i just fried a brand new set of AC60Gs 30 days on a stock system.

Lots of conflicting opinions
I think using AC60Gs was a bad Idea. If you want to butcher up you M1009 and do all the bypass crap Im sure they w0rk fine.

DO NOT USE AC60Gs IF YOU HAVE A STOCK UN ALTERED CUCV your plugs will fry out! mine lasted 30days. YOU MUST DO THE RISISTOR BYPASS to 12 volts
the tips burnt off.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks