• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs

Matt65

ok, i think i'm not understanding. Can i buy new glow plugs and put them in my M1009, or do i need to do the straight 12volts. Are please send me a link that will help me out, so i don't bug anyone. thanks in advance.
Your not bugging anyone. The Glow plugs run on 12V from the factory on the CUCV. Check my user photo album, I have a picture of the 60Gs box. Google it, I got mine for $7.25/pc a few weeks ago. iirc.

You can always test yours per the TM to confirm No Good. I believe 1-3 ohms is what good plugs measure.

M1008driver

Can i buy new glow plugs and put them in my M1009, or do i need to do the straight 12volts.
I put 60g's in my m1008 that was milspec and they ran fine. I recently did the gp resistor bypass and they seem to run slightly better. They now cycle one time for about 10-15 seconds whereas before they would cycle a couple of times.

All I did for the resistor bypass was remove the resister and move the wire to the 12 volt junction (diamond looking thingy). I had to change the connector as the new location has a bigger bolt. :D

Everything else runs the same and this was confirmed by doghead.

EDIT- If you use 60g's I would change the gp connector to the insulated kind of the right size. NAPA has them as I am sure other auto parts stores. Why, because my old connectors were 26 years old and I didn't want to grind on my new plugs.

Attachments

Last edited:

M1008driver

You either have to grind the spade terminals down with the 60g's or change the connectors. The Wellman spade terminals are smaller. I found this:

We highly recommend replacing the connectors when the plugs are changed. Simply snip off the old connectors strip the wire 1/8'" and crimp on these new ones using any commercially available crimp tool for electrical connectors.

Your connectors should be a very tight fit on the plug spade terminal to handle the high current feeding the plug. If loose or green with corrosion, replace them immediately. They are not giving full power to the plug!

Symptoms of a bad connection are hard starting, excessive white smoke on start-up...
EDIT- Go to the search and type in 60g and read. There are lots of threads about gp's. For me, understanding what I am doing is half the work.

I may ask the wrong questions or call a part the wrong name, but I can guarantee you someone will set you straight. Kind of like calling a magazine a clip, but CUCV related, not firearms.

Last edited: