• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GM 8 vs HX35 turbo for boost control

ssutton

I currently have an old GM 4 on my 6.2 that is on it's last leg and I'm trying to decide which direction to go with my next turbo. I know I can easily mount up either an HX35 or GM 8 for cheap since all of the fab work is done and there is a custom downpipe available for the HX35. So my question is how can I control the boost on these turbos to keep them at 10psi or less? The engine is bone stock so I'm not willing to really turn the boost up yet.

I have seen people using springs to make the HX35's wastegate open sooner but I'm not sure that's possible with the GM8. Are there any other simple low boost turbos I could use? I don't tow, I live in a flat area and I'm not looking for crazy power, just a little pep. The truck has a full 3" straight pipe at the moment and a 4l80e . I was also looking at maybe running a hood stack to get rid of the current 3" body lift to clear the downpipe.

I also have a DB2831-4911 injection pump laying around that I'm thinking about swapping in. Would this run too rich with <10psi of boost? I'm relatively new to diesels and have read that running rich can cause some issues with them.

Last edited:

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked into wastegates? I've used an adjustable boost elbow on one that you can set and forget to whatever PSI you chose.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the following might be on interest to you:

I've decided to get this one myself for the 6.5 I'm going to put in my M1028. Looks like you can set and forget using the spring. If going with a GM-8 turbo look at Heath's Turbo-Master or Leroy's Turbo Spool Stick. Ordered Leroy's myself for my K1500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks