• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat in tropical QLD

Removal of the knobs didn't help in the end, with transfer stuck in Low and the 2/6WD selector held forward as a result, there's not enough room to move the doghouse up and forward before i hit the dash. On the upside i'm pretty sure it's the high/low that's my problem after getting a torch under the cover to peer around a bit.

Also seem to have a few access hatches cut in to the doghouse, are these a common mod as they don't look original but they do have the feel of not being done beyond service life.

IMG_1554.jpg IMG_1551.jpg

Not much actually achieved this break, but feels good to be crawling around the old girl and becoming a little more familiar.

m38inmaine

The sliding cover on each side is correct, the cut out in the first picture next to the sliding door is not. On the plus side you have both of the sliding doors, those are often missing.

Finally found, and pulled the trigger on, an M561 in Oz. working on getting it trucked up from southern pastures for my next R&R...

Anyone know now where I might acquire tractor canvas from, hopefully before the wet season...

Spock
Finally solved this problem with the help of m38inmaine, mystery box was waiting for me when I flew back in, extremely fast delivery!

image.jpg

Feels sorta like having the Suzuki all grown up.... Pulled the remains of the old canopy off the track on the windscreen, brushed it back to remove rust and got some help from the trouble and strife to slip in the new one. Downside, she knows I used her church candles as lubricating wax...

Figure mine must be a very tropical Goat, need to let the canopy heat and stretch a little over the frame, goes along with the use of the cold start each time I guess.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Hope it works tomorrow, of course, I'll have to pull it off again to remove the transfer. Definitely not wind up holding it in low range, spun the centre with one wheel jacked and in 2WD, still won't slip into high.

Next R&R project.

m38inmaine

Glad it arrived in short order, you may have to adjust the length of the support frame, mine was bent and required some trial/error before mine would fit.

You might have the option of this one yet mate, it's a good two inches short of reaching the rear tie down points. As m38inmaine said, looks like I've got some non stock hoop work... Either I start cutting hoops or use this as a base template for a custom job.

Spock

Yeah it is (isn't it always compared to places that get snow?), and i'm not giving it away just yet, see if sitting "in situ" has improved it any by next R&R, but i don't see it making up that much ground to be honest.

Mini update:

Replaced the wing mirrors with local aftermarket units (one was missing, one was smashed) a fun little exercise to cut and shut the mounting stalk/swivels as the threaded section wasn't long enough to get through both bracket rods. Got a letter from Fed Gov't regarding import approval so it's now in the country "legally" for potential road use, ie i can get a compliance plate for it and have made contact with an engineer to undertake the plating for me.

Been on a shopping spree... many many parts on the way... mostly ****s and bits

Shipping is murderous, typically paying equal to or more in shipping as the cost of what i'm getting.. in one case quoted for three times the value! Have now organised an account with a local vehicle importer so should get it under control for larger items, now i just wait for the customs tax bills...

Still no luck getting hold of Red River Parts, have got Eastern Surplus chasing a transfer case for me. Jericho mentioned a member by the moniker of Navy may be holding a few, a few navy related member names in the lists, but no straight navy... any ideas?

Also heard rumour of another rig being imported... might get a serious population explosion in the Great Southern Land at this rate!

Spock

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Mini update:

might get a serious population explosion in the Great Southern Land at this rate!

Spock

And soon they'll start breeding!
;)

Just read this odyssey from the start.

I look forward to you getting your Goat on the road and having fun making video's to share.

I hope it will be short and smooth transition.

Aussie.

frenchman

hello
if you need a transfer case for your goat red river is the place to get it i got mine from them you need to talk to blake only is #is 903 5472226
they got them in the crate
hope this help
frenchman

Big bonus of working away... it can be Christmas when you get back on R&R! Or your birthday, or any other occasion that produces squeals of excitement from the child inside....

IMG_1698.jpgIMG_1699.jpgIMG_1700.jpg

All that postage has delivered! Goodies everywhere!

And.... tracking says i have four big boxes at freight forwarders waiting to be put in a seatainer.....

ETA, unknown, sort of dependant on spare space in said containers.

Anyways, with bits available, it seemed a good time to attack the squishy brakes.

Spare slave cylinders and brake liners make one awful brave.... as does having a mate with a vacuum bleeder and access to Dot 5 fluid via his gliding and aero-engine contacts.

IMG_1703.jpg

Sadly when said mates showed... we discovered that they didn't have a crow's foot suitable to the bleed nut, a suitable time to rag drifters and road racers (ok, not too much, these guys do also play with off road Suzuki's).

IMG_1707.jpg IMG_1711.jpg IMG_1728.jpg
So we proceed to remove the brake drums, easy done without removing wheels... not. Some git used a tube of silicone per drum because they didn't know how to replace o-rings! Off with the wheels, one by one, and then get the wedges out to remove the drums (btw, anyone know what thread the jacking bolt is supposed to be?) almost like doing motor maintenance again.

Good thing we popped the drums, five out of six had liners soaked with fluid, and one had a broken spring floating loose inside, so six for six needing repair work. Good thing i'd ordered a stock of spares huh.

Turns out the NOS liners weren't as healthy as thought, brake shop identified them as warped and unusable with the rivets (which came with), but getting them bonded to the shoes, which due to the process should reset the shape, so i'm told....

IMG_1721.jpg

Also looks like i have some grease pushing through on one or two spindles, possibility of a missing bearing seal of some sort?

A days work not badly done, hopefully will result in long reliability once we get it all back together, although i'm going to be needing hoses sooner rather than later i suspect.

Spock

Might also add, doesn't seem to be any large play in the wheels when they're jacked... so hopefully that means the wheel bearings and spindles are still good. But did find LH (Factory Driver's side) centre axle spring is bent, must've been a hard rollover in that creek.

m38inmaine

Those backing bolts should be 5/16-24, be sure to back them off before installing the drums or they will crack the drum. Glad to see you are making progress, my brakes looked about the same. I have extra brake springs if you can't find any.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks