• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat Project

prodro1

I just got my first Goat. It is also my first MV. I did purchase it from GSA in OK. It has a few issues, but all in all not in too bad shape. Its a 1970 M561. It was from the forestry service. Red in color, which i am planning on changing back to mil spec. Pics to come soon.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll save you a search. Tons of good information in the following threads. No sense going through some of the pain when you can laugh at someone else going through it. Welcome to the insanity that is being a Goat owner.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?141472-Operation-quot-URGENT-RESTORATION-quot
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...s-M561-Gama-Goat-Acquisition-and-Build-Thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140657-I-have-joined-the-Goat-herd
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135414-Working-On-The-M561-Gama-Goat

prodro1

It was about a 5-1/2 hour drive from LA to OK to get the goat. It took 9 hours to get back, had to go slow. It was a task getting the thing off of the trailer. I couldnt get it into neutral. So I took the top plate off of the transmission, and with a little persuasion with a rubber mallet I got it out of gear. I am going to have to take the transmission out and do some maintenance on it. The seal is leaking and the cover on the side (i think its for the pto?) was bent, so of course it has been sitting for god knows how long, with no fluid. It looks like it is going to be a PITA to get it out. Anybody know any special and easy way to remove the transmission? Any help would be very helpful. Also the fenders have been cut in the trailer, why and who would do something like that beats the heck out of me. Gonna have to find someone who can weld aluminum. Or find a new trailer. 20160526_095429.jpg20160526_095552.jpg20160525_115653.jpg20160525_120028.jpg20160525_120036.jpg20160525_132117.jpg20160525_221104.jpg20160526_095445.jpg20160526_095527.jpg20160526_095610.jpg

combat32

They probably had some kind of water tank in the back, cutting the fenders probably seemed like a good idea, to them anyway.

prodro1

It did have a tank in the bed, I told them to take it out, I didn't want to have to haul a couple of hundred extra pounds down the highway. But the tank was not that big enough for it to be cut. It has an Illinois VFD sticker on it.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the ("Goat Herd") hobby, site, and happy days to come. That Goat looks pretty much complete. (and) maybe the engine turns out to be ok. The gearbox removal is covered in the T.M.9-2320242-20. Para.2-135. Page.2-189. Straight forward enough task. Good luck, post up your progress with pictures.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Glad to see another project goat on board, look forward to sharing information. I have a nice carrier hull that is free for the taking but I suspect there must be one closer for you.

Last edited:

combat32

About a year ago, but it looked like it had been there a while, they had another one parked out front, not sure if it wound up on the auction block when yours did.

Attachments

combat32

The sand colored one at last auction looked to be the best one in the lot, I think it has already re-sold on evil bay, there was another one on there too but dont think it sold.

I never looked over your truck too well just sort of looked under the hood and kicked the tires, it looks pretty good, i have a tranny in similar condition, i think they should both free up

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
The transmission is a standard GM SM-420. The remote shift tower is the part that is unique and more important to try and salvage.

If you do not know already, there is a stickie at the top of the Gama Goat Forum that has historic & new part info from the now Defunct Gama Goat website.

Good luck on bring your goat to it previous glory.

Looking good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

prodro1

I haven't seen that other goat. But gsa sold about 9 goats a couple of months ago. I placed a few bids but didn't get any of them. I saw the tan one ebay. I do think that was the best one of the lot. But I checked back a few weeks later and saw the one I have now and said to myself...I have to get it. So I talked it over with my wife and she gave me the go ahead... there is one more that hasn't gone on the auction block yet. It is red. I looked it over when I went to pick up mine. It looks to be in really good shape. I checked the fuel tanks in it and they are full and didn't smell of old fuel. I would love to get that one also but can't see myself driving back through the nightmarish roads of oklahoma..lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks