• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going through auction 803a

Guyfang

Staff member
My question would be do you want this remote monitor system, or not. I personally would restore it to its original configuration. But that's because then I know my manuals will be good, and I will not have to fool with something that's not in the books. We need pictures. When this monitor system was installed, did the original wire harnes get hacked into? Or was it integrated in an orderly manner?

smokem joe

My question would be do you want this remote monitor system, or not. I personally would restore it to its original configuration. But that's because then I know my manuals will be good, and I will not have to fool with something that's not in the books. We need pictures. When this monitor system was installed, did the original wire harnes get hacked into? Or was it integrated in an orderly manner?

I do not want it. It was done very neatly when it was installed. It appears from my research that you need to have it plugged in or have a bypass plug in order for it to even start and work. It would be easy enough to take it off, but I am not sure if there were any changes in the original wiring harness to accommodate the system. I'm guessing it somehow ties into the emergency stop and overrules it to an outside source in the remote monitor. That's only my guess though

smokem joe

Wiring schematic looks like the stock one. Other plates had replacement plates stuck over them to update the plates to spec that they were using. The plate for the securing it has another one stuck over it with the trailer example shown because it was stuck on a trailer.

smokem joe

Not sure what the clear circuit breaker looking things are in picture 5 yet but the one on the left is different than the others for sure.

Guyfang

Staff member
Joe,

1. If you don't know what the clear circuit breakers are, you need to start reading in the books.

2. There is a fine thread on fasteners, started by DAYBREAK. It has all the info you need to order fasteners. If you read the thread DAYBREAK listed in his post, at message # 32 and 33, there are listings of places to buy fasteners.

3. The wire schematic is for me, new. Doesn't look at all like what I know. Probably a new version. Look at it, and SEE if it is for the MEP-803A, or the type of modified gen set you have. How about a picture of the data plate where it lists the gen set model number. In theory, when a gen set is modified like this, it should change the model number of the gen set. The Army, only allows equipment to be "Changed", read that modified, when the equipment gets another model number, OR can be changed back to its original configuration in a timely manner.

4. I asked someone who is in "the know" if he can get me a document on how to DO the modification, in the hopes that you can use it to UNDO the modification. In theory, (theory is NOT to be trusted!!) you should only need to REMOVE all these extra wires, and the set should function. If my friend is working this next week, and if such a document can be given to me, you shall get it. Even if the document can not be given to us, he should be able to explain how its done.

5.Read the -10 manual.

smokem joe

Actually going through the manuals again today. Here is the plate from when it was on the auction site. The unit is over at the shop but you can read manufacture date and model on this197 (Small).JPG

smokem joe

I did see at the end of the thread where is showed Fastenal had screws. I'll just go that route to put it back together. Most of mine are stainless already with a 2010 build date. Probably the replacement ones that aren't

smokem joe

Guyfang I agree in theory I should be able to take it all off and have it back to stock. I just am not sure if they modified the harness someplace else other than what's connected to the remote plug. Appreciate the help!!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it requires a "loopback plug" I suspect removing it isn't a simple as just removing all the wiring.
My hunch is that some of the meters, which are current meters, are hooked in series with the remote meters or need the loopback plug installed for the internal current meters to operate. For the current meters I suspect the remote harness removes one of the leads off the meter, connects a lead to the meter terminal and another lead is connected to the lead removed from the meter. I can see some black shrink tubing where it appears those splice connections are made.
For voltage meters it ought to be as simple as removing the two wires from the meter.
That's all I can tell from the pics and description so far.

If it's all working with the loop back plug installed why not just leave the harness in?

I'll be interested if Guyfang can get his hands on the install doc and what is says (assuming it can be openly provided).

smokem joe

My problem is I don't have the loop back plug! If I did I would be very tempted to leave it as is. I would like it back to stock though just to be able to have a working wiring diagram. It would help for troubleshooting now and in the future. I agree that the meters appear to be hooked in series with the remote stuff. That amount of wiring to the plug would be pretty simple to remove. What I don't know is was the wiring modified someplace else that isn't connected to the remote plug harness? If I had the loopback plug and could get it running it would be a whole lot simpler to remove things knowing it all worked. The only info I have is what I found here on another post from someone that never did post any answers. This is what his post said.

Greetings fellow members. First I would like to thank you all for sharing your
knowledge and experience. I have been assisted several times by information
listed here and I am very appreciative for it.
My current dilemma:
I recently acquired a 2009 MEP-803A from Tobbyhanna. The unit has 34 hours
on it and is in excellent condition. The generator has been modified to be used
on a "10KW Unmanned Aircraft Systems Universal Power Pack Trailer" (A1-38431D). This means the wiring harness has been modified so that the generator can be operated and monitored remotely using either an APU Control
Unit or a Remote Status Panel. Since I don't have either of those items or the
Remote Monitor Panel Cable required I'm wondering if anyone has gone through
the process of removing the secondary wire harness that was installed.
I do have do have the operating manual for the complete system (D1-38534D)
and in it states "A loop back plug (MS3541W24-28P) can be installed in cable
A1-38473D to bypass the Emergency Stop Button on the APU Remote Unit so the generator can function without the panel. However, when the unit was modified it was set up to run using an auxiliary fuel tank on the trailer. The wire that connects to the auxiliary tank was cut when the generator was removed from the trailer. So when I attach the Loop Back Plug I have no power at the control panel.
I did start the generator using the crank switch inside the engine compartment and manually overriding the throttle but it shut down once the fuel in the fuel lines was used as there is no power to the primary fuel pump.
So before I start pulling and reconnecting wires I was hoping someone may have dealt with this before.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

He didn't seem to have any answers other than having part numbers and documentation that came with his that is not in mine. The difference is my fuel pump does run. I primed the system yesterday to check for return line leaks which of course it is leaking. I guess barring anything else working I need to find another working 803 that I can trace wires from and see if anything is different.

smokem joe

The black two conductor wire with yellow labels is cut off just below the front panel. Mine was on a trailer at one point too since the trailer docs are still inside it. I don't know if that is what went to a remote fuel tank. My pump does run, but when I picked the unit up the cap for the remote fuel connection was off and just hanging there

smokem joe

Sorry. Guess I should have said it was a blank cover. First thing I did when I saw that labeling was take it off to see if it had any pins in it.

jamawieb

Smokem joe, I've got 4 sets coming in later this week from Lockbourne, with the same set-up as yours. Give me a little time and I'll figure it out, then comment back.

smokem joe

I thought only one place in PA used them this way. Hopefully we can get these up and running and figure out if anything is different in the main harness.

Guyfang

Staff member
This configuration will be seen more and more. The idea to make remoted "stations" has been in the works a while. Everything from ADA to gun platforms. But like I wrote, if the original wire harnes has been "hacked", then the data plate should reflect a model change. That in turn requires a TM change. If someone has a newer TM CD, they can look. That's why I would like to get a look at the gen set data plate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks