• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going through auction 803a

smokem joe

Just to give everyone fair warning, I bought 4 generators from GL in December and the ads stated motor turns. I get them in and 2 of them are hard to turn over by hand. I hit the dead crank on one of the 2 hard turners and it sounds weird so I stop because I bet water got into the exhaust and rusted. So it looks like I'll be taking the head off of 2 out of 4. There is a lot of junk coming through GL right now so be careful.
The one the guy down the street from me was listed the same way. I can't get it to move by hand, and 2 quarts of water in the oil pan makes me afraid to even try to dead crank it. Jamawieb I think I got mine (which turned out to be a good runner) and the guy down the street all picked them up from the same auction. Next time I bid on any I will be driving the two hours to get a look at them in person. Does anyone know if I can take a breaker bar in on inspection and turn them over?

jamawieb

The one the guy down the street from me was listed the same way. I can't get it to move by hand, and 2 quarts of water in the oil pan makes me afraid to even try to dead crank it. Jamawieb I think I got mine (which turned out to be a good runner) and the guy down the street all picked them up from the same auction. Next time I bid on any I will be driving the two hours to get a look at them in person. Does anyone know if I can take a breaker bar in on inspection and turn them over?
Some of the guys will let you try to turn the motor over with a socket and some will not. I don't believe the are supposed to let you. But if you can move the fan or crank with your hand more than an inch you should be good. Ideally you would want to make a complete revolution but that may not be possible.

smokem joe

Update:

Unit was ran for 4 hours tonight with heaters and halogen lights on it. Wattage wise it added up to 12500 watts and Fluke meter read 56 amps. Voltage held perfect no matter what the load. Hertz seemed to drop from 61.5 to 59.5 under heavy load and was verified with Fluke meter. Air temp was 8F and unit fired right up. Ran just over 180F with just under 40psi on the oil if the gauges are right. Did burn some stuff out of the muffler, but not to bad at all. I did run some diesel purge through it at the same time. That did burn some stuff out and really stank while burning, but after that no smoke under load. I did turn the voltage off and on a couple times to hit it with a good load and it barely made a difference in voltage or sound. I'm guessing that many amps under a different kind of load would read higher on the meter but with this it was still only 95% at best. I need to find more stuff to load it up with to make it work more for round 2!

smokem joe

Good idea on fan belt. I didn't want to use the fan for sure and didn't think of just the belt. I will take a breaker bar with me and hopefully they let me use to find a decent motor out of the parts units.

smokem joe

Hey just thought I'd mention I found a real good use for the shrouds I took off the sides next to the fan belt. I cut them up and made covers for the holes on the bottom of the unit. No mice or critters chewing through those!

Guyfang

Staff member
Ya know, one day I was working on a set just like yours. I had a long rag wrapped around my hand, and checking oil. One moment it was there, (my hand too) and the next, that rag was gone. My hand traveled part way to the fan with it. Its alright to not have the fan guards on, if you NEVER forget that fan is over there waiting to bite you. And most sets I worked on didn't have the guards. That's the first thing the soldiers toss away.

smokem joe

That is one of the dangers of working on running engines for sure. It will just be me in there working on it so I'm not real worried about it. I use saws with no guards just about every day. You learn to be real careful around running equipment!

I can see why the soldiers took them off. It makes it much harder to work on the front of the engine with them on. I have limited range of motion in my neck so whatever I can do to make it easier to work with that I do.

smokem joe

Guyfang I ended up with some more of the units with the same remote monitor connections on them. I opened the document storage on one and the whole binder with the modifications and directions for units with this modification was in the door. It gives more info than one would ever need. I'd say I could scan and send specific pages, but the info you posted makes me hesitant to do that!

Last edited: