• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to live in my deuce in Oklahoma....

merlot566jka

So life is getting rough. Financially, anyways. And I am going to use that to do something I have always wanted to do... live on the land.

Background:
Got out of the Navy about 10 months ago. Got a **** good job, but I have too much debt and now I am between a rock and a hard spot. I have been paying $805 a month for healthcare for my daughter and I. And child support is $654.23 a month. Add up my other two vehicles, normal bills and a $12000 divorce attorney bill... and you can see how screwed I have been. I have been floating along on my credit card to the point where I am almost out of money on that avenue.
Yesterday, my brother (who has been splitting rent with me) tells me hes moving out and into a small duplex/condo about an hour away. He says he'll try to hang out till the lease is up, but he is motivated to move. I am sure he has a really good reason to be screwing me over when I am in a really tight spot...

Problem:
I hate renting. I hate apartments, rent houses, neighbor hoods, and people in general. I dont "hate" people... I just prefer to be left alone. And the second part to the problem is I have about $300 a month for a place to live. Which usually I could find some sort of college place or rent a room with a friend... but I dont know many people here since I just moved. Add to it I have a deuce, a corvette, and a daily driver... I am totally out of the relm of rental places that are inexpensive.

Dream:
I have always wanted to build my own house, with my own two hands. I want to live in the mountains, next to a river or lake, and I want to live in a quiet peaceful area. I want to have a fire outside to cook on, a wood stove for the winter and a shop or garage for my cars, duece and my tools. I would like to be able to shoot a gun and hunt on my property. I dont have a need for much electricity, just for my stereo, lights, chargers and small fridge, so solar always apeals to me. Plumbing would be a breeze, I am at work for 9 hours a day and college for another 4 hours after that. Other than showering and drinking water, everything else can be done at work or school. I dont watch TV or even own one, not real big into the whole social life jazz. (unless its corvettes or Deuces). All in all, I dream of living much like they did 100 years ago.

Reality:
I have to pay off my debt. I need somewhere to live. I need to make sure my daughter is taken care of no matter what. I have to get myself out of the situation I have created.

Solution:
Get creative. I am a very smart, yet formerly wreckless individual. I have been taught a ton. I have learned many lessons in life. And now I put them all together to help myslef through the ultimate challenge that is life.
I first started to get angry last night when I realized things were getting tough and I had no one to help me out. My own brother wasnt even willing to make some sacrifices to help me, even though I helped him while he was in a coma for 4 months and for the next 3 years while he put his life back together. But the realization is, there is no better help than helping myself.

Putting together a plan, I decided to use some of what I learned in the navy. This follows fairly close to the ORM (opperational risk management). So I have found and will use this to document my plan. This was borrowed from WIKI, and edited to suit my needs.

The U.S. Navy summarizes the time critical risk management process in a four-step model:

1. Assess the situation
I am broke and have no money saved. My brother is moving out and is no longer willing to split rent with me. I need a place to live for less than $325 a month. I need to be able to store all of my things until I have replenished my savings account and paid off some debt.

2. Balance your resources
Resources are $325 a month for rent, and about $150 for bills. I have an M35A2, many tools, many skills, and a brain that equiped with the desire to survive.
3. Communicate risks and intentions.
The intent is to rent 5 acres that has RV hookups and a barn. The risk is nature and scrutiny of others.

4. Do and debrief. (Take action and monitor for change.)

The U.S. Department of Defense summarizes the deliberate level of ORM process in a five-step model:

Plan: Rent 5 acre plot, turn deuce into camper and save money.

1. Identify hazards
A. Wind, rain, heat, cold, bugs.
B. Running water, electricity, waste, food storage
C. Deuce failure
D. Mailing Address

2. Assess hazards
A. Wind can damage the tarp. Rain sucks. Heat is a constant battle. Cold is easily battled. I hate bugs that make itchy bites.

B. need running water for shower, drinking, and cleaning. Electricity to charge phone and run fans/light. Waste stinks. I need to eat.

C. I would be stuck for ac/dc power.

D. I may need to get mail.

3. Make risk decisions
A. Make my own tarp and bows for the duece. Buy a fan. Use blankets and wood stove/electric blanket. Mosquito nets.

B. Find out how to use and make RV hookups on the duece. Learn how the hookups work and make a sink and shower. Find out how the waste water works. Burn trash. Live on dry foods and only buy what I can cook for that night.

C. The truck doesnt have to move. It will be parked. I have two other vehicles. I can repair onsite with tools that will be stored in the truck.

D. Get a PO Box.

Implement controls

Yes

Supervise (and watch for changes)

So far this is what my plan looks like. I have about a month and a half to make this work. I have contacted an old man that has listed 5 acres for rent about 8 miles south of where I work. The rent is $300 a month and it has RV hookups on site.
The deuce doesnt have any bows, seats/uprights or tarp. I have found the dimensions to make my own, and will be using a harbor freight tarp. I have a small air mattress and will make a bed from plywood and 2x4s. I will make a clothes rack and make any other creature comforts I will need. I will make a storage for tools and food.
I will make a fire pit close to the truck for cooking and burning trash. I will find a way to plumb water to a sink and a home made shower. I will use a small electric heater for the shower water. The shower will be out side of the truck. I will wash my clothes at a laundry mat.
I will run a dc-ac conveter off the deuces 12v system as much as I can. I dont need much electricity.

Basically... I am going camping for a couple months. And the duece is going to be my shelter.

Anyone have any input, ideas??

leepotter

Not to sound like a D1ck but could you live without the Corvette(assuming this is one of the two cars you speak of)? Depending on how nice it is that could offset some of the debt you have running.

91W350

After a divorce, I lived the summer and fall in my M1009 and a storage unit. 125 dollars a month, shaved and showered at work. You sound like you have it easy in a deuce. :cool:

Goose2448

Sell the Vett. That may not sound like a good plan, but you dont need it. Also dump the sonic and buy a older reliable car like a VW Golf TDI. And still do what you are planning. Pay off more debt more quickly. I think your on the right track. My Cousin spent every penny of every paycheck while he was in the Army. Now is credit is crap, he has no job, and owes people money. Sounds like your not that far in the hole yet. Just tighten everything up and you should be alright.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your service. I appreciate it and feel for you in this situation. The one thing I see that you left out of this scenario is security. How do you keep your stuff in the deuce secure while you are at work? Also, do you envision your daughter visiting you while you are "camping"? How will that work? Not trying to be a smart aleck...just asking. Have you considered selling some stuff to clear some debt? A corvette is great and I wish I had one, but if it is contributing to a big pile of debt on top of you, it can't be much fun. Just my two cents...

G-Force

Sell the vette and find a roommate.
Downsize your stuff........you can always get more stuff when you get your life straightened out. Trust me....I been there and done that......The money you get from your vette sale and anything else you can sell should go towards your bills.....Also...sell your deuce....I know it hurts but you don't need it in your life at this moment in time...what you need is to get back on your feet........just my 2 cents...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your truck have troopseats? I have a set of seats and bows you can have. And possibly a cargo cover.

I also lived in my suburban for a very short while after my divorce 10 years ago.

Sounds like you have a grasp on what is needed and a good plan to impliment.

ryan77

How are you going to live in a m35a2?? I could see a m109a3 maybe? Sell everything buy a beater car and rent a room cheap. It will suck for a year but it will get better, Deuces and corvettes are a dime a dozen you will always be able to find one. Selling stuff sucks ive been there and done that!! Sit back and think a little bit. Have you talked to a counselor at the VA?? I would sit down with some one before making any crazy rash decisions!!!

ryan77

Does your truck have troopseats? I have a set of seats and bows you can have. And possibly a cargo cover.

I also lived in my suburban for a very short while after my divorce 10 years ago.

Sounds like you have a grasp on what is needed and a good plan to impliment.

At least im not the only who has lived in a suburban!!! I felt like the guy in the van down by the river!!

I LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER - YouTube

Goose2448

Filing Bankruptcy is a lot harder than it used to be. My parents just went though that. And then your credit takes a hit for 7 years. You also cant get any credit really during that time. Its a last resort.

We ended up selling our Home of 20 years in Nov of 2010 because we were not going to be able to pay the taxes on it the following year. We moved to FL with some family. Found a house that a $200 cheaper in rent than our mortgage was, plus since we rent there are no property taxes. I had to drop out of collage and start working with my uncle to make ends meet. It takes 3 of us to live half decently. My parents still ended up filling because of the debt, which was nothing but living expensive's. Sure they made some mistakes and bought some things they should not have, but they did it better to give me and my sister a better life. Life is hard, but is also what you make of it. Sure you may have to get rid of some of your favorite things, but its for the good of your daughter and you.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its do-able. I lived in a Rambler station wagon for awhile, got work each day from Manpower. No heat or plumbing. No rent, parked different places all the time : church parking lot VFW, parking lot (hey, some of those have hookups you could use), airport long term parking (get up early and shower in the terminal, get breakfast). Occasionally parked at a cemetary...the neighbors are quiet. Stereo? Nah, just a.m. car radio. No matter what Corvette yuo have, no matter how special, you can get another one just like it later. I know, I had a 1990. white with red interior.....loooooved that car. Today I can get another just like it for half what I paid then. No phone, cell wasn't invented yet. Funny thing, the most impoverished people on the planet (that I see on PBS like in africa, latin america, etc) have cell phones. Figure that one out. Keep working, keep faith that God has a plan for you, just dont know what it is yet.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do NOT file bankruptcy! It stays with you forever no matter what else they tell you. You have too much stuff to file bankruptcy. Sell stuff. Downsize. Pull yourself up. It's totally do-able. I used to have a LOT of debt and live paycheck to paycheck. The credit cards and debt piles up...trust me, I know. You have to be willing to sacrifice now to experience freedom later. The solution is simple, but hard to do. Make a budget each month and balance it...actually put it on paper. Sell what you can and budget for the rest. It will work!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda like many of the others. The corvette sounds like money well needed. As far as your daughter visiting, if you are frugal enough with your money, you should be able to rent a room at a hotel for the days she visits and it's too rough to camp. Other than that, I see a way to make it work. Will there be any zoning issues living on this 5 acres out of a 13,500# tent?

The answer is simple. I'm pretty sure with a little creative thinking and a little hunting on craigslist and/or some local classifieds, you can trade that Vette for a pretty nice, spacious, modern and clean travel trailer or toy hauler. Depending on the condition of the Vette, you might find a 5th-wheel trailer with slides that when opened will be as plush and comfy inside as any modern condo without the HOA BS to put up with! A toy hauler will give you a great place to secure your tools. In the event of a SHTF bugout situation, I would love to have a nice modern 5th-wheel travel trailer to call home wherever I wanna drag it to with my deuce! :mrgreen:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This SCENARIO is just the SIGN of the TIMES, more and more are in the same boat, GLAD you you CAN see the tree in the forest and have a plan to deal with it, GOOD LUCK,

DeucesWild11

Just a thought, I know others have said to sell your stuff but that's a one time pickup. I would check with Bankruptcy as well as that may be an option. Ever thought of perhaps being a care taker of a house or land/farm? Perhaps something that's not too labor intensive since you already have a job but something that would give you free rent. Maybe use the deuce for Deliveries don't know what is around you but offering the Deuce for let's say Hay pickups or Deliveries for a farm? That could earn you a free stay in a room.. Plus you could have fun driving the deuce! You could get real creative if you need to..:grin: Best of luck and thank you for your service!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marriage is the #1 cause of divorce. It would be good to just work hard and get your life back on track. pay your bills and get back up the right way. i know when i crashed my deuce i didnt know what to do. sure i could go get another, but its not the same. you know the army chant about your rifle (there are many like it, but this one is mine). well there are many trucks out there but that one was mine, so i rebuilt it. it taught me a lot about the truck and maybe i guess myself. It seemed like i had to replace everything on it, but it was something i wont forget. Maybe you should try just knuckling down and working hard to get things paid off. a lot of guys out there have gone through rough times, but things will get better. just keep your head up, spirits high and push through it. only keep what you need. clean the vette up real good so it looks nice and sell it. its tough, but things will get better. if it wasnt for rainy days, we wouldnt appriecate the sunny ones. after i finished the deuce, i felt better than ever.

dependable

I lived for 10 months out of a Holden HR while traveling down under (similar to a 66 chevy Nova w steering wheel on wrong side.) Mostly out in the "bush." The worst part was drinking warm beer, but I survived. Would also advise you sell the flash cars & get something practical as a driver. You have your skills and youth on your side. It could be good if the site you are renting is decent. Good luck.

3dAngus

Good to see you put your daughter and her needs first.
Now stop blaming your brother. He owes you nothing, and you shouldn't ever feel he does. He's family. He need go his own way. He'll always be close to you though, regardless. Perhaps for him, it's an opportunity, where your situation is a drag on his ability to get ahead in the world. Let him go. Wish him well.

Trading your corvette for an older trailer/camper is a great idea. Buy an older model mid 80s Airstream, and fix it up while you live in it ($6K), and you will have an investment, and never lose any money in it. It will also provide you with the kind of shelter anyone in this country should have, as a minimum. Living in a deuce sucks. You might want to consider selling your deuce, and paying the lawyer. Why on earth a lawyer gets money like that in a divorce settlement where you get nothing is beyond my comprehension. And most of all, "Good Luck".
It seems you are on the right track. Just needs a little tweaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks