• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up a 1987 HMMWV

mrnjstrong

Hey guys, I'm new to the site but I figured I would make an account here so others can assist me with my newly purchased HMMWV from GovPlanet. I still have yet to pick it up but will be doing so in the next few days. It's located in Scottsburg Virginia, and I'm from New Jersey... it's going to be a drive and a half! :/

It needs work of course but that's the reason I got it. Some things it needs: new headlights, mirrors, rear drive shaft, new fuel tank, gas cap, hard doors, bodywork/paint, etc... I'm probably keeping it camo. It doesn't start, but that's definitely because the fuel tank has a huge gash in it.

I don't know much about these things, but to the guys who got these in a condition like this would you suggest a new engine and transmission? What else should be replaced? Here are some pictures (click the link)... let me know what should be replaced and looked at. Thank you!
hum.jpg

http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/580192?h=null&do=1

Last edited by a moderator:

mrnjstrong

Hello from NJ!

Hey guys, joined the forums because I just purchased a 1987 M998 Humvee. Looking for some advice as to what I should replace or look for once I get hold on it. I also want to keep everyone on track with my build!

All the best,

- Damian

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Unless you just had an EUC go through the system it will be a couple of months before you will be able to pick up your HMMWV. Your link requires a pass word that is one of the reasons we like you to post pictures to the site, also links usually go away after time.

dmetalmiki

Very welcome to this site, the hobby events and friendships to come. You are going to enjoy getting your truck fully serviced and maintained, and of course driving around and to shows etc. Do post up on progress with some pictures. There are plenty of members in your area to meet and glean help from.

Stonewall

Check out the sticky posts at the top of the forum for some good tips on initial service items. Your best friend is also to download and become very familiar with the tech manuals.

mrnjstrong

Quick question guys, is it possible to get my hands on these armored doors for the Humvee? If so, where could I possibly get them?

Thank you.

armor2.jpg

tage

I would worry about getting it running first IMHO. Fuel tank exposed to the elements. Ie. more then likely water contaminated, and rust... Hopefully no one ran it like that, and the filter caught everything.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the addiction! Looks like you've found an excellent place to store your money, but withdrawing it may be problematic :lol: J/K, looking forward to your progress photos.

Lawdog734

Quick question guys, is it possible to get my hands on these armored doors for the Humvee? If so, where could I possibly get them?

Thank you.

View attachment 607549
Implementation of armor kits like that will require extensive mods to the vehicle - suspension and drivetrain especially and a turbo would be a great start. Otherwise you're just going to break stuff. Humvee's are no speed demons anyway and adding armor like that will only make it worse.

Get yours running first - you've got a lot of work ahead of you as it is. TedG was nice enough to create a fairly comprehensive list of things to do one you get your truck home - do it. Too many guys get excited about having their new toy home and want to take it out for a spin. Given how long these have been sitting before they were sold, there's no telling what condition they're in.

Last edited:

Thank you.

View attachment 607549
The only thing I can think of to say is why would you want armoured doors like this? The HMMWVs aren't speedy vehicles to start with. A set of doors like that, IF you could get them, would slow it down more and put a strain on your suspension and cause things to break.As others have said, you might want to concentrate on getting the vehicle running reliably first before you worry about doors. You're likely to be spending a lot of money getting that done as it is.

TedG

Thank you.

View attachment 607549
Those are M1114 doors and they require a LOT of BAE parts that can be hard to find. The amount of parts you need to even fit them is well over $20k and the doors will be almost the same. The thing to remember is that standard hmmwv doors are curved. Any door that is flat requires filler armor. Good luck with your new toy!

Last edited:

DanM7890

Implementation of armor kits like that will require extensive mods to the vehicle - suspension and drivetrain especially and a turbo would be a great start. Otherwise you're just going to break stuff. Humvee's are no speed demons anyway and adding armor like that will only make it worse.

Get yours running first - you've got a lot of work ahead of you as it is. TedG was nice enough to create a fairly comprehensive list of things to do one you get your truck home - do it. Too many guys get excited about having their new toy home and want to take it out for a spin. Given how long these have been sitting before they were sold, there's no telling what condition they're in.
Best advice! Focus on making yours drivable and do all the maintenance.