• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up a 1987 HMMWV

leo4x4

The hmmwv is a dog all ready
So adding m1114 doors on it that are in excess of 200lb each
Would make ot more of a dog
Not to metion if you can find them they will be $$$$$ +all of the other imposible parts to find.

leo4x4

Also check your geared hubs
And run extra ground straps from ess box to alternator to back of motor.
Ted g has thread on it

Congrats and welcome to the madness

Lawdog734

I have up armored doors on mine
The hold pretty well to 45 acp 357 sig and even a 12 Guage slug.
Looks like that's the supplemental armored door - these are appropriate for M998 series trucks. I'm surprised to see that they stopped all that. My understanding is that they're only supposed to stop small shrapnel.

mrnjstrong

Thanks guys for the extremely valuable responses! I feel very welcomed here. Yes, I will admit I didn't read the fine print in regards to having to wait for the EUC before I picked the Humvee up, now I know. In regards to the up-armored doors, I wasn't sure if those were hard to find or not, I guess so! I will be just going with the hard x doors, and I don't want to be putting anymore stress on the truck than I should. I will also be studying up on a lot of different things so I know what to encounter once I have the Humvee in my possession!

Hypothetically, how much do you think I will be putting into fixing up the Humvee? What could be the end amount? :-(

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What could be the end amount? :-(
That is the part you do not think about if you want to enjoy the vehicle. A rule of thumb for MVs or any other classic car hobby is, you "generally" do not get out of them what you put into them.

Lawdog734

Hypothetically, how much do you think I will be putting into fixing up the Humvee? What could be the end amount? :-(
That's impossible to know without knowing the true condition of the vehicle and to what extent you want to restore it. It's currently a non-running vehicle, this could mean that you need to replace a few minor parts - or it could be a blown engine.

You take a risk in buying a non-running truck - if it was an easy fix, then why wasn't it just fixed? I think Retiredwarhorses has posted here before that when he gets a non-runner, he just assumes the engine needs to be replaced. Sometimes he gets lucky, but not always. At a minimum, you're going to want to replace all fluids and hoses, you need batteries, a fuel tank, headlights, mirrors/brackets, glow plugs, ground harness, you'll probably want doors, seat cushions, etc. That's gonna be a several grand easily in parts. To replace everything that should be replaced to make it truly 100% without seeing anything else that needs to be replaced, plus a paint job - the costs escalate quickly.

I firmly believe that unless you're a tinkerer with patience, ready access to parts/or a cash reserve equal to what you pay for a non-runner - you're better off spending more up front and getting a running truck. These can be money pits as it is and that pit just gets deeper if you have to start tearing off heads or worse, replacing the engine.

I do have a couple sets of X-doors if ya want to get a head-start.

Last edited:

mrnjstrong

All depends how far you want to go
I spent close to $4000 so far.
This is what it looks like now
Wow, looks great! That's the same theme I want to do with my Humvee. Also, I want to get two whip antennas for mine, could you direct me where to buy them and the other materials such as the brackets? One more thing, I like those headlights too could you direct me to them as well?

Thank you!

mrnjstrong

That's impossible to know without knowing the true condition of the vehicle and to what extent you want to restore it. It's currently a non-running vehicle, this could mean that you need to replace a few minor parts - or it could be a blown engine.

You take a risk in buying a non-running truck - if it was an easy fix, then why wasn't it just fixed? I think Retiredwarhorses has posted here before that when he gets a non-runner, he just assumes the engine needs to be replaced. Sometimes he gets lucky, but not always. At a minimum, you're going to want to replace all fluids and hoses, you need batteries, a fuel tank, headlights, mirrors/brackets, glow plugs, ground harness, you'll probably want doors, seat cushions, etc. That's gonna be a several grand easily in parts. To replace everything that should be replaced to make it truly 100% without seeing anything else that needs to be replaced, plus a paint job - the costs escalate quickly.

I firmly believe that unless you're a tinkerer with patience, ready access to parts/or a cash reserve equal to what you pay for a non-runner - you're better off spending more up front and getting a running truck. These can be money pits as it is and that pit just gets deeper if you have to start tearing off heads or worse, replacing the engine.

I do have a couple sets of X-doors if ya want to get a head-start.
Very valid points. I'm coming into this knowing that I'm going to have to replace a good amount of parts. I think ultimately that's the fun of owning one of these great vehicles. Hopefully once I have it everything will work once I replace the fuel tank, rear driveshaft, etc... but we'll see what happens! I guess it's just luck. Now in regards to the X-doors you have do you have 4? I'm very interested.

Lawdog734

I would also suggest buying the obvious parts you'll be needing now, so you can spread the cost out instead of a mass cash dump at once.......

Where is the truck located?

mrnjstrong

I would also suggest buying the obvious parts you'll be needing now, so you can spread the cost out instead of a mass cash dump at once.......

Where is the truck located?
Yeah that's my plan as of now, that's why I'm trying to find and compile a list of what I want. I'm going to be ordering the materials soon. As stated above in Scottsburg, VA

mrnjstrong

However, I ultimately would like to bring this Humvee to a shop to be worked on, but I have no clue where to go... I live in North Jersey. Does anyone know any places close by that would be intrested? It really doesn't matter where because I have a readily available flatbed. Either I find a good legitimate place, or my friends help me and we'll probably screw something up. Any ideas guys? I want this thing to look great and restore it to my specifications.

Thank you.

Lawdog734

It's really not that hard to mess up - download the TM's from here on the website and follow them.

Unless you don't want to work on it, I'd say see what you have first. If you run into problems, ask questions. If it's not something you feel comfortable with, then consult a shop.

leo4x4

I would do it my self
Taking it to a shop will only increase your spending.
T here is nothing to it if your a little mechanically inclined
Follow the online TM.

mrnjstrong

I want to work on it myself, but I just don't want to screw up. Maybe I'm just over thinking, I'll just have a better understanding with what I'm up against once I have it. I'm a Criminal Justice student, so this is like a side job for me. Maybe it's all of this research and information I'm taking in making me like this, I'm not sure lol.