• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up a M818 400 miles away

midcounty

So I have been wanting a M818 for a while now, as I just think they are super cool. I found one from a private seller, and plan to go pick it up this weekend. Pictures show a really good looking truck, and the owner swears it is in top notch condition. It has been serviced fully, has new tires ect, and the owner sounds like he has really taken good care of the truck. Our plans are to head out Saturday evening, stop and get a little sleep, then go do the deal with truck and drive it home Sunday. I will get to see a variety of driving conditions, as I have to cross through some small mountain areas and drive in some metro areas. I am excited, but nervous and dreading the bruised butt after a eight plus hour drive home. Wish me luck, and yes I will take some pictures to post up later ;)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Need to change your sig. good thing you have the cucvs, thay will come in handy as wheel CHOCKS

midcounty

An M818 bobtail is a ride you'll never forget. They are fun to drive, but be safe. Always remember your following distance and stop often to check tire/hub temperatures.
Best of luck on your trip. It sounds great.
She won't be bobtail, will have a M871 behind it. Hopefully that will make the ride a little easier. I am taking an infrared temp gun to check the drive line and hubs at regular intervals. I did that for the first few hundred miles that I put on my first Deuce, just to make sure I didn't have any bearing problems in the drive line. Previous owner serviced the wheel bearings a while ago, or at least he says so ;)

She won't be bobtail, will have a M871 behind it. Hopefully that will make the ride a little easier. I am taking an infrared temp gun to check the drive line and hubs at regular intervals. I did that for the first few hundred miles that I put on my first Deuce, just to make sure I didn't have any bearing problems in the drive line. Previous owner serviced the wheel bearings a while ago, or at least he says so ;)
Awe too bad, an M818 bobtail recovery is a blast. Almost none better.

Hooty481

The 818 bobtail is a wild ride! One I will not forget anytime soon. Hope your trip is as much fun and as safe as my trip. Not sure if you will be going through Kentucky or not but if you have any trouble let me know. Got the new truck and can't wait to use it!

midcounty

The 818 bobtail is a wild ride! One I will not forget anytime soon. Hope your trip is as much fun and as safe as my trip. Not sure if you will be going through Kentucky or not but if you have any trouble let me know. Got the new truck and can't wait to use it!
I will be far from Kentucky, but I appreciate the offer. If I remember correctly you had a longer trip then I have in store. Did ya pee blood by the time you got home? lol

midcounty

No really it's a blast. All of the 5 tons run rough, but the M818 is kinda the sports car. Lots of visibility and an all out joy.
Hmmmm, never thought of a 20k lb truck as a sports car, but makes sense. I have only driven one 5 ton, and it was a 813. The ride was only about a mile each way, so didn't get a chance to see how rough it rode. I guess my Deuces spoil me, because I think they ride really smooth for the type of truck they are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks