• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up a M818 400 miles away

Hooty481

I brought mine back from camp Shelby to Kentucky 600 miles at 55 and the tach said 2200... Do you think I hurt it any? Also can they not be run any higher or just not recommended

midcounty

I followed this topic and thought I seen you last night on I-68 about 7pm. Glad your adventure was ok and safe
About 7pm would have been on 70 somewhere between Breezewood and Hagerstown. I think it was 8 when I made my last rest stop around Hagerstown exit of 70.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it is a long stroke motor, thay DONOT like over speed, bad for valves, rods/caps, ect.

Last edited:

midcounty

I brought mine back from camp Shelby to Kentucky 600 miles at 55 and the tach said 2200... Do you think I hurt it any? Also can they not be run any higher or just not recommended
If it is still running good, not knocking, and oil pressure is good, I would think you are ok. I wouldn't keep running it like that. A friend of mine ran his 813 like that, and it resulted in a bunch of bent push rods. Luckily it didn't stress the bottom end to fail yet.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
-10, page 2-78

"Do not allow engine speed to exceed 2100 rpm as shown on tachometer (3) or tachograph (4) in any gear shift lever position"

Pretty CLEAR, does NOT sound like a RECOMMMENDATION

Over speed causes the valves to float, which hit pistons and then it is a down hill from there. I have changed, push rods, heads, pistons/liners, rods, and even a engine beceause of overspeed

Last edited:

Hooty481

I guess I'll back off. First 5ton and didn't know. Always looking for more power thought it might do more. Anyway I don't wanna hijack this guys thread. Glad you made it home with no problems!!

powerhouseduece

I don't want to ride super fast, but would like to get highway rpm down. I figure a turbo and 1400's should allow me to pull a loaded trailer around 55 mph..

Uh.. you might want to start thinking about a motor swap for that!!! :p Its fairly flat over there so you shouldnt have a issue.

rideni

It's on the MD VR-096 form to register a historic or street rod vehicle
Direct quote is:
"Motor Homes, Tow Trucks, Tractors and Trailers do not qualify for Historic or Street Rod Registration"
It doesn't seem to be well enforced at this point of time but you never know in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland.

powerhouseduece

It's on the MD VR-096 form to register a historic or street rod vehicle
Direct quote is:
"Motor Homes, Tow Trucks, Tractors and Trailers do not qualify for Historic or Street Rod Registration"
It doesn't seem to be well enforced at this point of time but you never know in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland.

Ian, if the state of Maryland told you to put your Weiner in a light socket, would you do it?

If you get in trouble for it, just take the 5th wheel off and put a deuce bed on it for a while.

roady

After you told me in the other thread you got it I searched for it and found it. That is a really good looking set up you got. I bet that ride through 68 was quite fun on some of them grades. Good luck getting your tags and hope it works out for you. Hopefully I will get to see it in person soon.

midcounty

The ride was a real pain in the arse, literally. But now that it's home I like riding in it. Took it to bobtail the thresherman's show over to Federalsburg Saturday. Had the daughter strapped in her car seat with us, and she seemed to like it to. My girlfriend didn't care for the way we entered and exited the parking area, going over the embankment. The truck never struggled, spun a tire, or felt unstable, but she still had a cow lol. Have the truck tagged, so now I just have to tag the trailer and I will be good to go.

davidkroberts

cool set-up and glad the recovery went well.... I like those shorter flatbeds... you can pile lots of GL collectables on them and are big enough to be useful at the house. Glad to hear it all went well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks