• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goldneagle's M923 plus M109 Camper hybrid mod thread...

Vintage iron

I like it dude ?

No really, I thought 4 batteries would fit, but I was focused on the bigger series 40 semi truck batteries. I still think we are going to need a removable top on the box. Good thing I saved my cover off my M813 batteries :)

Vintage iron

Started the battery relocation the other day. I had some bad wiring in my truck and decided to go thought the whole major electrical system. Found two broken wires and some chaffed wires too. The battery area under the seat was a accident waiting to happen. So I am relocating the batteries to under the passengers side door on my M923. Oh, thank goldneagle for the advice on fitment. Four batteries fit just right! All the wiring to the new battery area is now new and I picked up some heat proof covering to protect the wires running over the frame. I should finish the battery box area tomorrow! :)

goldneagle

Started the battery relocation the other day. I had some bad wiring in my truck and decided to go thought the whole major electrical system. Found two broken wires and some chaffed wires too. The battery area under the seat was a accident waiting to happen. So I am relocating the batteries to under the passengers side door on my M923. Oh, thank goldneagle for the advice on fitment. Four batteries fit just right! All the wiring to the new battery area is now new and I picked up some heat proof covering to protect the wires running over the frame. I should finish the battery box area tomorrow! :)
Can you give me some specifications on the heat proof covering?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i too want to relocate my batteries. zev has a good idea on getting that box taller. i am looking into putting another tool box/batteries inside box on top of the bigger tool box under the bed. i plan on just using 2 super large capacity batteries. that tan truck looks good.. will you leave it tan?

goldneagle

i too want to relocate my batteries. zev has a good idea on getting that box taller. i am looking into putting another tool box/batteries inside box on top of the bigger tool box under the bed. i plan on just using 2 super large capacity batteries. that tan truck looks good.. will you leave it tan?
Going with tan CAMO for that truck. If you have cores you can get 4 of the group 34 batteries at $45 each. Much lighter to handle and more total AMPS output. Final thought: Your truck your way... :grd:

goldneagle

I took down the back porch (deck) from the M109 box. I don't like the look or design. Looks much better without it! There is going to be a 1 foot landing there when the box is installed on the M923 frame. (In order to keep the wheel centers lined up with the cutout in the wheel well on the M109 box) Maybe I can come up with some sort of retractable platform that slides out and extends it. (like a drawer)

Attachments

goldneagle

bobbedjarhead

Just got done reading yours and gatos threads on campers, i have a m923 that i just put a m109 bed on, last week, it lines up great in the rear and flush all four rear mounts work, but the frontmounts will need moved, im glad yo see others as crazy as me lol , maybe i can learn alittle between you and him, he has more time then i could ever dream about it seems, thow

goldneagle

I gave up on this project months ago. I would be willing to sell my M923 and M109 trailer as a package deal for $10,000 and someone else can complete the project.

jesusgatos

Just got done reading yours and gatos threads on campers, i have a m923 that i just put a m109 bed on, last week, it lines up great in the rear and flush all four rear mounts work, but the frontmounts will need moved, im glad yo see others as crazy as me lol , maybe i can learn alittle between you and him, he has more time then i could ever dream about it seems, thow
Post some pictures!
I gave up on this project months ago. I would be willing to sell my M923 and M109 trailer as a package deal for $10,000 and someone else can complete the project.
Awe, bummer. Was looking forward to seeing that come together.

hailstone

Went to NAPA and picked up 4 diaphragms Type 12 for my trucks. Ended up getting a discount so $4.50 each. Using a 3/8" ratchet with a deep 1/2" socket and a 1/2" closed end wrench I removed the bolt from the bottom of the retaining ring on the brake canister. Once the bolt was removed I popped the canister open and removed the damaged diaphragm. I could see where the rubber cracked and separated from the fabric reinforcement. I installed the new diaphragm and closed the canister. I needed to get a c clamp and a longer bolt in order to re-secure the band around the canister. I also did the same thing to the other brake canister on the passenger side. There I found that they installed the diaphragm inside out and it was torn. Replaced the diaphragm and secured the canister.

When I tested the brake system I heard and saw no more air leaks. Well that was a cheap fix for the air brake system! I'm psyched!
Safety note here! on some of the airbrake canisters, there is a spring used in the park brake assembly that is under alot of preasure. If you do not use a canister bolt to hold the spring down, the whole assembly can come back and literaly take your head off! Check with an experienced truck mechanic before tackling the rubber pancake replacement ALSO NOTE!! It takes a special bolt to lock in and tighten and hold the spring.

350TacoZilla

you do realize this thread hasnt been commented on for almost a year and he has like 5 of these trucks right? I understand safety but this is a bit late to be of any help to him if he did need it, and Yes you need to cage the brakes before working on the canisters, on these trucks they actually have a spot to keep a cage bolt with each canister.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks