• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Deal or Not

greenjeepster

If by bumped you mean you rolled it with another truck and then it started going, I would guess that it has a dead spot in a gear in the transmission or T-Case.

This truck sounds like a basket case to me. I would avoid it. Anything from a dealer at that price must have something major wrong with it and he is just trying to unload it.

For 5-700 more you can actually buy a really nice deuce, probably even one with a winch.

Coal Cracker

Trying to piss off one of your neighbors is probably not a really good reason to buy a deuce. Pissed off neighbors tend to rain down all sorts of new laws and regulations upon everybody in the vicinity.

Also, judging by the configuration of the dash, the tach being an add on, I would guess that this truck used to be a gasser, and was modified to a MF. It is probably older than 1965.

Any experts want to chime in?

-Chuck

I say to heck with the political correctness, and nicey nice heart warming ceremony, if you like it GET IT! Hiding , worrying and ducking neighbors who don't like certain aspects of our, mine and your lives is bull, excercise your freedom!

I mind my own, pay my taxes, keep my truck legal, we've gotta stop worrying about what other people will think, if it's legal, and well within your rights, and you like it DO IT,

I just think it's ridiculous to have to keep popping our heads out like gophers and wondering who's po'd at the hobby, but it's ok to have an alternative lifestyle, and have a parade to flaunt it, I'm not coming down on anyone, I just get fired up when the keep quiet and lay low attitudes surface, I'm not saying drive over a neighbors car or blast by their place at 3:30 in the morning.

Stay Legal, Stay Courteous, Stay Safe :grin:

stumps

I say to heck with the political correctness, and nicey nice heart warming ceremony, if you like it GET IT! Hiding , worrying and ducking neighbors who don't like certain aspects of our, mine and your lives is bull, excercise your freedom!
:grin:
Come on guy, the first thing he said is he wanted to get a deuce to get back at a neighbor. That doesn't sound like a case of deuce love to me.

There are a million and one good reasons to get a deuce, pissing off the neighbors falls in a different category.

-Chuck

Crazyguypa

I know where this truck is and have looked at it myself already, my family lives close to the area and I pass it often. I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb as I have a truck already. However, as others have said ... "it's your money spend it how you like. If you like that truck get it."

I for one had a huge learning curve on these vehicles. These trucks are big. Which means bigger tools, heavier parts and usually another set of hands to do anything major. If the T-case or trans is having a problem, figure in the cost of a new one + labor (unless you do it yourself). Eventually all the problems that you see now, you will want to fix. Factor those costs in. Since most of these trucks are 30+ years old, new problems will arise that will need to be repaired, which means more costs.

Summary, you get what you pay for. Now I'm not saying you need to pay Memphis prices, but don't base your decision on the price alone.

:idea:
One big note to look at before you decide to buy this or any truck this size, check with the township ordinances to make sure you will be ok. You don't want to pay for a truck only to find out that now you have to pay to have a storage spot for it.....again additional costs.
:idea:

Again I have no interest in this truck, but there is a wealth of information to be found on this website. There is also several guys in the immediate area who own deuces' that you could look at and compare. There are 5 guys in the Dover, Pa area alone.

Goose2448

I do love these things. Pissing them off is a bonus! There should not be a problem with the townsphip. There is a Deuce setting right next to the township office. And the guy drives it offten, even with tons of people in the back. He had said some one else had looked at it. I never thought I'd say this "It's Pretty Big"

IMA944T

I have a nice 1970 Duece for sale. New 95% tires that are oversized. New spare tire, batterys, starter, fuel pump, and cab heater assembly. 32000 miles, nice body no rust with removeable cargo box, hard top, great seats, with extra parts. More than $1800 though

2Deuces wild

Remember Goose you get what Ye pay for. Sometimes shopping around pays off. P.S It does have a lot of oil under it. PSS If you buy fit the radator don't plug it up with crap.

BugEyeBear

Yeah, that BarsLeak stop leak and similar products do tend to plug more than just leaks.

Although they might stop a small leak they also tend to plug up heater cores, radiators, and other areas of your cooling system.

MIGHT be an option IF you are stranded somewhere & need to limp it home. But in order to restore your cooling system back to 100% you'll need to spend more money & effort to fix it properly & unclog the system.

Best to avoid these "quick-fix" products if you can.

You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Goose2448

I thought about using stop leak. It helped in my old radiator, but the entire cooling system needs to be replaced anyway. Small leaks don't bother me much, as they won't drain all at once and all you need to do is to continulay check it. They can be fixed one at a time and when you can. I always try to get them fixed as fast as possible. The radiator seemed to leak only when it sat for a while. IT is going to be looked at by a friend who knows cars and used to drive them in the Army. IF he says no then I won't buy, But if he says yes then I will buy. He might help me get because he wants one to for his house by the lake and back and forth from work.

panzerjunky

Hey Goose
Welcome to Steel Soldiers 75% of what I know about my Deuce I learned from the fine fellas on this site the other 50% ( Hey if you cant spell I can't Count so don't feel bad ) I learned from pulling off parts and fixing them.
As the guys have said and I agree this truck looks like a lot of work the windshields alone are $150.00 apiece Radiators are another 350 to $400.00 if you can find one.
I cant be sure but you mentioned school so I am guessing you are a younger fella and I feel you are being struck by the same thing we all have had from time to time.
You see this truck you can touch it smell it you want it or one like it but you have your hands on this one you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket you have already pictured yourself in the thing top down cruzin with your bros in this truck.........right?
so even when the back off alarms are going off you are justifiying ( **** I cant spell myself) this thing but do yourself a favor look around a bit as the guys have said sit on the $1800 you have add a couple more hundred look on the classified add s or just post Deuce wanted and I am sure with in a week you will have more choices than you know what to do with.
As the guys have said these things are big and the parts are big and heavy they are a lot more fun to drive than work on Maint is one thing but dropping tranny transfers is quite another.
Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck
Jerry

Goose2448

I went up today and asked a few questions. He will get the title and fix the major problems before he sells it. I checked the radiator and the leak is coming from the bottom hose, looks like it needs to be snugged up. He said that he can get all the parts if needed. I am going to tag it as an antique, so it is cheaper and no inspections needed. Restration and tags are a one time fee of about $140. The cracked windshield is not a major issue yet, and will be replaced when I find one. It can be repainted one area at a time with some camo spay paint. Yeah, I saw these a few years ago when looking for a truck. I realy wanted one, but was told we were going to fix my pick-up because it would be cheaper. It ended up costing about $4000 after all the parts and work I put into it. I wanted to wait untill I could do want I wanted to do with it, I am glad to have it to drive though. I am looking for something I can drive back and forth from school. Something I can take my other truck with and all my stuff. Plus I could use it as a place to sleep! Yes cruzing with my friends is something we will do, as long as they chip in for fuel! Maybe even gitting MV owners in the area to come too. I also might get better fuel milage with this and save some money. My truck now Gets some where between 5-8 in the city and once got about 14 on the highway. I usally get about 100-120 miles on a 20 gallon tank. I don't do a lot of highway driving yet, but I will be next year. I can't stop every 100 miles for gas. It does have the D trubo and the engine has not been over huled from what I can tell. Still looking for the MOV or MVO tag whicher ever it is. Working on it may not be a problem because I have several friends who have garages and some with hevy duty equimpment, one even owns a trucking company that does his own work. I have a freind who owns a salvage company who can get parts and things. I would Like the chance to be able to drive one on the road befor I go to far with this, to get used to the size and feel. He said as soon as it is ready to sell I can but that might be a few weeks. He also said that I can help work on it and the others he has, I can use that to konck some off the price. Some times when I start talking I can't stop! And oh yeah the year is to be determined when he gets the title. It was listed as unknown. This might help ID it. There is a tag on the front stating the orginal price of a little over $41,000. Anyone know the sale prices for different years?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would jump on that with both feet.

you could buy that and resell it with in 30 days for 5 to 6k
Yeah, sure . . .

Pass on this truck! Deep pitting RUST everywhere.

That is the radioactive speedometer btw, see how the numbers are yellowed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks