• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good place to get engine/block?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've managed to crack the block on my M1078. Anybody have any good leads on places to find either a replacement engine or block?

I found some engines on eBay, but at $8500 I might as well just buy a second truck! I've also seen some LMTV trucks that auction fairly cheaply because they don't have cabs and beds (just a rolling chassis).

Any thoughts welcome, thanks in advance.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a 1078 engine it has one bad injector sleeve but runs. Nothing cat is cheap and its not a sleeved engine I dont know if you can just take your pistons out and drop them into another block.

snowtrac nome

There are 3 in Washington the engines all look real nice, look up gov plannet. A google search for 3116 cat might find some take outs affordable, but I doubt it because cat stuff is so expensive. How did you manage to crack the block

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1078 engine it has one bad injector sleeve but runs. Nothing cat is cheap and its not a sleeved engine I dont know if you can just take your pistons out and drop them into another block.
Couldn't you put the pistons in a new block as long as you put new rings on it?

There are 3 in Washington the engines all look real nice, look up gov plannet. A google search for 3116 cat might find some take outs affordable, but I doubt it because cat stuff is so expensive. How did you manage to crack the block
I had a bad vibration, and in one 40 mile trip it vibrated all the bolts out of the water pump, broke the cast aluminum ears off the alternator, broke the starter off, and cracked the blocks. Crazy thing is that I really couldn't feel or hear anything from inside the cab. Bad luck follows me!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What caused the vibrations?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never mind, I just found the other 6 or seven threads you've posted for each of the parts/issues you've had.

Next time, please just continue one thread, other than your wanted ads.

snowtrac nome

with out knowing the source of the vibration I think you would be best to replace the whole engine. If I had to guess you might have a bad balancer, but its only a guess. If you have the room for the parts truck, you wouldn't go wrong getting a spare truck from gov plannet. Just imagine the expence if your vibration came out of the transmission or driveline.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Bad u-joint is the most likely candidate. Haven't driven it enough to 100% there isn't more wrong, because of the cracked block it leaks oil all over the place.
BAD U-JOINT will not cause this damage, this IS ENGINE related.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never mind, I just found the other 6 or seven threads you've posted for each of the parts/issues you've had.

Next time, please just continue one thread, other than your wanted ads.
Sorry, I was hoping to intentionally start a single focused topic, and not have to go into all the ancillary discussions.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pointless worrying about it anymore. The engine is trash. Any idea of a good place to find a new one?
NOT pointless, you NEED to know where the vibration came from OR you may be replacing engines once a week, this type of issue IS NOT a plug and play fix. You post up with a issue, you ask for thoughts. if you DO NOT want to read some thoughts on your issues DO NOT post up the issue asking for our thoughts, just go on wondering in the darkness and deal with the issues on your own.

KGR left the building 2 hrs. ago.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOT pointless, you NEED to know where the vibration came from OR you may be replacing engines once a week, this type of issue IS NOT a plug and play fix. You post up with a issue, you ask for thoughts. if you DO NOT want to read some thoughts on your issues DO NOT post up the issue asking for our thoughts, just go on wondering in the darkness and deal with the issues on your own.

KGR left the building 2 hrs. ago.
I'm not sure why you're so riled up. I didn't ask for thoughts on the vibration issue. I'm satisfied it's fixed, but I realize you feel a u-joint couldn't/didn't do it. One thing at a time, and right now I'm looking at how to replace the engine, which needs to happen regardless of what caused it. So once I get replacing the engine going, I can look at other things. And I did take the truck to professional mechanics and have it looked over, and they checked all the things people suggested in the post where I was asking for thoughts about the vibration (e.g. flex plate / transmission, dead cylinders, other driveline vibrations, harmonic damper, etc.), and all they found was the u-joint. So please, can we leave that alone, or can you go post it in my thread about the vibration issue?

With this post I was just hoping someone had a good source, or something that I wasn't aware of as I'm new to military trucks. You know, "Company XYZ does a lot of builds and often has extra engines on hand.", or "Since these blocks were used in Kodiaks, it's often cheapest to just get a block from a HD truck dealer, along with a rebuild kit." Someone has something clever to add, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you talking about whole trucks, or just crate motors?

big block 88

With this many threads going it can get kinda confusing to us simple folk here. 3116 3126 have a habit of busting cranks and that will cause a vibration. Disregaurd the vibration i meant the engine go boom. But my knowledge is only in the cat marine industry so im sure that can also be disregaurdedededed

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cat motors are worth what they are worth. Theres no super unbelievable deals on them unfortunately.
Yes, and no. I see whole trucks being sold for less than just used engines out of 1078s, so it's not that clear cut. So far it's looking to me like a running cabless chassis seems to go pretty cheap, but they happen infrequently enough that finding one near me is unlikely (if I have to pay $3000 to ship it, it's not a net win).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
But you are back in the risk game buying another truck. Which may actually be the easiest way to go. Straight engine swap in a lmtv isnt too bad if you do go that route.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But you are back in the risk game buying another truck. Which may actually be the easiest way to go. Straight engine swap in a lmtv isnt too bad if you do go that route.
Yeah, I agree. Biggest concern for me there is that you have an engine that is barely broken in, but has 20 year old gaskets and seals. That's why rebuilding with a new block sounds appealing, despite being a huge pain in the butt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks