• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good place to get engine/block?

coachgeo

Believe the CAT 3126 and then CAT C7? were next generation engines for FMTV family but neither have too great a reputation in some parts so have read. Also, they are all Electronic unlike the 3116. Not sure if that matters.... as in will either of them want to be pulling info from a Transmission computers to operate? Might make things more complicated to wire up trying to get computers talking together. Previous poster who recommended the 8.3 mentioned that one advantage to that engine was that there is no Electronic ECM on this engine and might get better milage. Did verify the no ECM/Electronics part to be true. I got no claim to have any other knowledge besides what someone wrote in here.

Maybe check the SAE bellhousing of the Allison on these trucks and then search engines that will take that bell housing. I think it is an SAE #2 but do not quote me.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe the CAT 3126 and then CAT C7? were next generation engines for FMTV family but neither have too great a reputation in some parts so have read. Also, they are all Electronic unlike the 3116. Not sure if that matters.... as in will either of them want to be pulling info from a Transmission computers to operate? Might make things more complicated to wire up trying to get computers talking together. Previous poster who recommended the 8.3 mentioned that one advantage to that engine was that there is no Electronic ECM on this engine and might get better milage. Did verify the no ECM/Electronics part to be true. I got no claim to have any other knowledge besides what someone wrote in here.
Thanks, that's an interesting idea.

sjohn116

one of the popular government surplus auction sites has a NOS 1993 3116 for sale, in a crate, including turbo, located in MD...If I had the $$, place to store it, or the means to unload a 2500# engine, I would jump at the chance to have a brand new motor on stand by...290hp tuned. PM sent with link.

scottmandu

one of the popular government surplus auction sites has a NOS 1993 3116 for sale, in a crate, including turbo, located in MD...If I had the $$, place to store it, or the means to unload a 2500# engine, I would jump at the chance to have a brand new motor on stand by...290hp tuned. PM sent with link.
I bet this will bring at least $7,000.

sjohn116

EPA label on crate motor says "290hp" EPA label on my M1081 says "225hp" new crate motor would be a beast in the LMTV

Scott Mandu, you're taking the OVER in OVER/UNDER $7k? Auction ends tomorrow at 1600hrs EST.

Why not buy a motor from, or an entire, parts truck, pluck the motor, rebuild with new seals, make sure all fasteners are tight, and replace? Seems like the 3116s in our trucks are barely broken in, yet failing from 20yrs of limited use and abusive idling.

scottmandu

EPA label on crate motor says "290hp" EPA label on my M1081 says "225hp" new crate motor would be a beast in the LMTV

Scott Mandu, you're taking the OVER in OVER/UNDER $7k? Auction ends tomorrow at 1600hrs EST.

Why not buy a motor from, or an entire, parts truck, pluck the motor, rebuild with new seals, make sure all fasteners are tight, and replace? Seems like the 3116s in our trucks are barely broken in, yet failing from 20yrs of limited use and abusive idling.
The last new 3116 sold for $9400, and the new 3116's have consistently brought over $7000, even used ones are 2K+..

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that's an option I'm considering, and for the same reason (20 year old gaskets and seals). Why is idling abusive?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I will have a 1078 engine coming in a few weeks at a reasonable price. I have never shipped one though, buyers usually pick them up. It would have to go on its side (angled on wood) on a pallet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks