• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

David, is it the original LDS-427 that was in the M35A1 trucks?
It is an LDS465. Rebuilt in '72 as I remember. Weird mint green paint on it with USMC green under it which makes it seem like it might have been in there since in the service...but the mint seems otherwise. Truck served as a civvy water truck around the desert valley I live in for decades after it got surplused, and then sat for a decade or two until I got it, did the HH and got it running about 5 years ago. I intended to rebuild it, got my '66 for parts, but then got a nicer '70 and got distracted. have since picked up a couple more parts/project trucks.

Lately trying to figure out what to do with my small fleet of parts trucks...my family's machine and weld shop could use a water truck, but it would be quite a job to put one together no matter how I slice it.

DavidWymore

The tension bolt on the large band clamp on the 4LE-354 turbo was broken. No wonder it didn’t seem to boost. Welded a new section on the bolt yesterday.
Found pea shooter’s hard brake lines breakdown. Just might make this thing go and stop yet.
That being said, I want to build a TD block LDS engine, so this engine will probably be giving up or trading some parts.

DavidWymore

Turbo, and where the exhaust is! the M35's, and M35 A1's exhaust was between the rear dual's
Early A2s were non turbo. It has an A1 Turbo.

Was built in '62 when A1s were coming out, A1 era serial number. A1 floor stomp start button and starter. A1 bed ubolts. A1 wiper knob. Remains of A1 rear exhaust. Etc...

Pretty sure it was suplused out before being converted to A2, then was civilian messed with and converted to water truck, some A2 features...but originally A1.

wiggall

Early A2s were non turbo. It has an A1 Turbo.

Was built in '62 when A1s were coming out, A1 era serial number. A1 floor stomp start button and starter. A1 bed ubolts. A1 wiper knob. Remains of A1 rear exhaust. Etc...

Pretty sure it was suplused out before being converted to A2, then was civilian messed with and converted to water truck, some A2 features...but originally A1.
My M35A2W/W was built in 1968. I think that it started out as an A1 as it has the hanger for the exhaust between the rear wheels. It was Depot rebuilt in 1998. Tuned in in 2007. we won the bid in May 208, drove it home from Ft. Lewis 30 June 2008.

DavidWymore

I'd bet it was originally a non turbo (LD engine) A2 with rear exhaust. A1s ended in '64 or '65 I think. I think they started putting turbos on in the early 70s. You might see if any of your engine or injection pump tags refer to an LD vs. LDT. It may have gotten an LDT with the rebuild.

@NoDakMark Will know offhand.

NoDakMark

My M35A2W/W was built in 1968. I think that it started out as an A1 as it has the hanger for the exhaust between the rear wheels. It was Depot rebuilt in 1998. Tuned in in 2007. we won the bid in May 208, drove it home from Ft. Lewis 30 June 2008.
To clear a few things up, the early A2's had horizontal exhaust (see David Doyle's page on Dating a Deuce for a picture), which changed in either 1969 or 1970, and the A2 didn't get turbos until around 1972 or 1973 (I believe 1973, but there's been some conflicting debate between the years). Earlier NA M35A2 were retrofitted turbos and vertical exhaust as they went.

You want to see a real oddball, I just identified a 1969 M35A2 in Europe this morning that was actually converted into an A1, with rebuild and MWO tags on everything from the generator to the 3052 transmission ranging from 1968 to 1972. It had the A1 inner fenders, A1-1967 dual position headlight panels, A1 cab, rear horizontal exhaust, and LDS-427, but A2 frame, data plate, matching registration and manufacturer's numbers. Best that I can surmise is that it was either pieced together in the civilian market or it received some major organ donations off the cannibalization line.

BTW David, I think this is finally my first post on SS lol. I've been lurking for years and finally get off facebook and post here haha

Reactions: NDT
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks