• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

Jeepsinker

This isn't an argument about rivets being good or bad. We all know that rivets can loosen and fail. Even the frame rivets on our trucks are supposed to be inspected periodically. If you have any doubt about the wheel, just weld it.

DavidWymore

Stiff rubber axle tube scraper to get the crud out, works good. I had already reinstalled the seals and retainers when I took the pic. Custom reamed kingpin bushings.

image.jpg

Inverted the plates to get rid of the vertical slop. Tapped the 1/8" pipe threads from the other side so the grease fittings would go in the opposite side.

image.jpg

DavidWymore

The weather has gotten down under 100F, so I'm back to working on this one. Had to come refresh my memory on assembling the shoes to the backing plate.

rustystud

The weather has gotten down under 100F, so I'm back to working on this one. Had to come refresh my memory on assembling the shoes to the backing plate.
That "refreshing" your memory reminds me of a mechanic who tore down the brakes on a 60ft New Flyer bus. No one touched the job after he tore it down (he was a jerk !) since that is the easy part. Putting it back together is the hard part. Well he waited so long that he forgot how it went back together ! The shop wasn't busy so we got away with not having to put it back together, plus the foreman also didn't like this guy. So here he is trying to remember how to put it all together. For over a week he tried to do it. That was another reason no one wanted to help him since he had never put one back together. He always seemed to be able to get out of doing it. If you don't pull your own weight in a shop the mechanics will find a way to make you pay ! After a week he still had not figured out how to do it so the "supervisor" got involved . He was later reprimanded for poor performance and lack of job knowledge. He was supposed to be a journeyman mechanic after all.

Another Ahab

I try to take only one side of anything apart ,complete it then do the other side. It's so nice that our vehicles are 2 sided.
That's a smart approach.

And if I was smart I'd use my camera phone more to document the "before/ existing" components of a project before taking it apart and then later trying to remember how it all went back together.

There's only one problem though with this idea:

- I'm not smart.

That's the part that messes me up, every time. :mrgreen:

rustystud

I just realized something after rereading yesterday posts. I'm that old fart who always tells some stupid story how things where in his day !:doh: Crap it sucks to grow old ! but I guess it beats the alternative !

DavidWymore

I just realized something after rereading yesterday posts. I'm that old fart who always tells some stupid story how things where in his day !:doh: Crap it sucks to grow old ! but I guess it beats the alternative !
'S ok, I do it too, even though I'm quite a bit younger. I like old guy stories anyway.

Another Ahab

I just realized something after rereading yesterday posts. I'm that old fart who always tells some stupid story how things where in his day ! Crap it sucks to grow old ! but I guess it beats the alternative !
You're not alone, stud.

I've been catching myself in that "when-I-was-a-kid" mode also more and more lately, that's the bad news.

The good news though is at least we can still remember those stories (well SOME of them anyway), right?

back.png

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remembering the stories is OK. As long as you don't keep telling them over and over and over. That's the bad news.

DavidWymore

Long day yesterday, got 'er back on her own six tires and out of the shop. Still only one 11.00 mounted, still have to rebuild the rest of the braking system, and almost everything else. It may get back burnered or back to a yard water truck if I get my hands on the '70 A2.

A97FF87A-2C78-45F0-934C-69480107F540_zpsjmbl5yxd.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks