• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

After taking to Tom Bauer on the bookface, turns out I wasn't getting the tire bead pushed down far enough, and that's why I was having a hard time getting the rings off. The tool isn't really necessary now that I'm getting the beads down with the press. 16,000 pound forklift wasn't cutting it. Other thing is the tool can ruin the ring by bending it.

Kaiser67M715

yeah, I pretty sure these are the same as the M715. They are Safety Split rings, meaning less chance of blowout Vs traditional split rims.

the tire bead actually goes over part of the ring and when the ring is seated in the rim, it really has no where to go.

Still dangerous though at first fill up, the bead can push the ring out

we took a 30 ton press with my M715 tires, probably hadn't been off the rim since '92(last registered for road), and all we needed to do was change tubes

DavidWymore

I'm pretty sure some of these have been together several times longer than yours were ;-)

Pictured is the ring prybar I made, kids playing on the swing over the safety tubes, early method of pulling the wheels out of the tires with the crane, later better method of using the press (and forklift which the stubborn ones). You can see the piece of tire stuck on a rim, that was a tough one.

DavidWymore

16,000# Forklift not getting it. Pinched all the way down to the floor, some
Of them the tread ripped off and the bead still didn't give. Tires were so old and hard they felt like they had max pressure with the valve cores out.

image.jpg

DavidWymore

Find a hydraulic bead breaker. They are priceless for this.

I did, our smaller (50,000#, or maybe it's 50 tons...) press works pretty good. Once I got it all figured out and got the hang of it, I didn't really even have to work at it very hard. The forklift does all the lifting and the press does all the bead breaking. No duckbill sledges or any other backbreaking nonsense for me. I'm tough but not that tough.

stb64

19may2015 040.jpg19may2015 041.jpg19may2015 043.jpg
This one works great:
Lay the tire flat on the ground, locking ring up. Completely deflate the tire by removing the valve core. Push the valve stem in.
Push the bead from the locking ring. (The bead breaker will clamp to the rim automatically, wedge itself under the locking ring, and push the bead down.)
Remove the locking ring.
Turn the wheel over, and push the bead from the rim.

DavidWymore

I must have missed something. Why do you say that? I never had issues with mine, even with 395s on them.
'cuz I heard a rumor. I may just run 'em. I have half 'n half. I want riveted ones on the outside at least, cuz I think they're "original".

JS, weld the rivets on the inside, or weld the center into the rim?

rustystud

I have some from the 1950's and they are still in good shape. I suppose if they where abused a lot then maybe. Just remember, rivets are not bad. Half our trucks are held together with old rivets.

Another Ahab

I have some from the 1950's and they are still in good shape. I suppose if they where abused a lot then maybe. Just remember, rivets are not bad. Half our trucks are held together with old rivets.
The Brooklyn Bridge is riveted construction I believe, and the Empire State Building, too.

They seem to be holding up OK.

I mean a B-25 flew into the one, and King Kong even played on it, and it's still standing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks