• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
David, there is very little difference in the trucks not because of the bed or weight or tires, but the trucks axles and motor.

The trucks are severely limited because the motor puts out about 100hp and the axles have a 7:1 ratio. Its old tech that works great off road and minimally on road. It is what it is and I have accepted it.

On the topic of dot 3 vs dot 5, its ignorant to think there is a difference that anyone would ever notice.

DavidWymore

All the brake fluid talk and research made me decide to change the fluid in my '95 dodge the other day. I don't know if it has ever been changed. It was brown, but the brakes still work fine. Same thing with my '70 dodge. It's going to good use stripping civvy paint off the deuce.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Investigating what? I have put a LDS motor in my truck and I have 395s on it. Thats about the best I can do other than going way custom. I still plan on putting a 5ton air filter on to help her breath better, but thats for later on.

DavidWymore

I will be running the truck in the desert. Some sand dunes and narrow canyons. I know smaller and lighter weight and a warm LDS 465 will help in the dunes. I may be new to deuces, but I am an experienced offroader/builder. Been doing nothing else in my free time for the last 15 years. I've run/built a Jeep, Blazer, and current big Cummins Dodge. They all perform differently and do better or worse in different terrain.

I know lightening the back end may be counterproductive. I was kicking around the idea of a gooseneck hitch that a bed could be latched onto when needed. I guess talking about it is pointless, it's alresdy basically an M48, will try it as such when the brakes are done and go from there.

DavidWymore

I was joking about the investigation due to your sig line.

I have also thought about cutting brakes (dual circuit) and or lockers...time to move to the other deuce forum I guess.

stb64

The military used regular brake fluid (called HB in the older lube orders) before switching over to DOT5. One of the reasons for using DOT5 was beeing able to keep huge amounts of vehicles in storage, often parked outside, without having to worry about regular brake fluid changes, only to find the brake cylinders all rusted when you needed the truck.
So using DOT3 is perfectly ok, as long as you do your brake maintenance.

DavidWymore

So far, pretty much all of the axles I have taken apart have had the grease washed out of the hubs by oil whether they had the little wedges or not. I think that's because the bearing and seal washer don't actually seal to the spindle.
Idea is to put a thin bead of gear oil specific RTV where the yellow paint lines are to seal the bearing and seal plate to the spindle.

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Yeah, there's a guy up in OR with a truck that looks like yours that has some vids on youtube, turned up and 395s, does good in the dunes. Course that sand might be damp, big difference to the dry sugar sand here.

Jeepsinker

You don't need to put that much silicone when you pack the bearings. Just be sure to have the keyway clean and pack it up good with gear oil specific silicone before and after the seal install.

DavidWymore

Time to quit playing around with deuce #2 and get the brakes and wheels back on this one so its mobile and I can get it out of the bay it's hogging in the shop. It's getting embarrassing having it sit here this long.

I hate brakes.

rustystud

Do tell the tail please.
My buddy and his girl friend and I where in a 1 ton GMC dually towing back a 1952 Studebaker REO 6X6 I had bought down in Oregon. Coming back we went through "Glacier Lake" area to avoid traffic. Coming down off the plateau we lost the brakes in the dually and had to use the escape ramp which was thankfully there ! My friend was driving at the time and all I could do was hang on and pray we didn't end up going down the side of the mountain. Needless to say we all had the shakes after stopping !
This was my first deuce so I wasn't aware of how heavy they where. Also I was only 26 (still immortal) , a silly young kid who never thought about dying until then !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks