• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

rustystud

David that is very bad ! If there is no movement up and down then the bearings are OK on the pinion shaft but you have totally lost your gear-lash. Which could be because the gears are wasted or the ring gear shaft bearings are gone. If your pinion gear and bearings and ring gear and bearings are OK then you lost your "Drive Bull Gear" or "Main Bull Gear" . Either way you slice it, it is very BAD !

rustystud

Hats off to you, I hope to never do this again, or at least not for a long time.

I'll soak the felts and coat everything else with Never Seez.

Have one outer bearing race loose in the bore, gotta salvage another hub from one of the bent axles. `
You might be able to save the hub. First take a good sharp punch and start making divets on the bearing surface ( at least 50 to a 100 ). All around the hub. Then using "Loctite bearing retainer" liberally apply this around the surface. Then put in the bearing race. Mechanics have used this technique for generations now. Some times it works great if the hub is not too worn out.

DavidWymore

You might be able to save the hub. First take a good sharp punch and start making divets on the bearing surface ( at least 50 to a 100 ). All around the hub. Then using "Loctite bearing retainer" liberally apply this around the surface. Then put in the bearing race. Mechanics have used this technique for generations now. Some times it works great if the hub is not too worn out.
I'm familiar with the process because we often do the bore/weld/rebore when it doesn't hold up. ;-) This one isn't too loose, so it would probably work, but I have hubs laying around from bent axles, so I'll just use one of them.

I edited my pics post above about rust, etc...

Looks like I might eventually just swap out the whole front axle, after I get all that ugly ole CARC off it. ;-)

When I do that and pull the pan to check bearings and clearances, I was thinking about upgrading the rod bolts. Does anyone know what size/grade they are and what the upgrade is?

DavidWymore

Started tearing stuff apart and trying to decide where to stop...never stopped. It's all, all the way apart. Gonna order some Rapco 24052. For the interior parts, what should I use for the red oxide? What's on there seems to have a little bit of gloss, which I think would have some more rust resistance than just plain flat primer.

Attachments

rustystud

I'm familiar with the process because we often do the bore/weld/rebore when it doesn't hold up. ;-) This one isn't too loose, so it would probably work, but I have hubs laying around from bent axles, so I'll just use one of them.

I edited my pics post above about rust, etc...

Looks like I might eventually just swap out the whole front axle, after I get all that ugly ole CARC off it. ;-)

When I do that and pull the pan to check bearings and clearances, I was thinking about upgrading the rod bolts. Does anyone know what size/grade they are and what the upgrade is?
002.jpg

These are the bolts you want. You can get them at several places. Maibach Tractor supply has them in stock.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
David, if you do anything, make sure you use the 12pt bolts. They are the latest and strongest.

I don't have specs, sorry.

DavidWymore

So much for quick n dirty brake job. I'm a tightwad glutton for punishment. Won't spend money I don't have to. Drilled and tapped out all the ports (cleaning out crud) in the wheel cylinders, bleeders, and banjo bolts. Hopefully
put it all together Saturday.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

DavidWymore

What do ya'll think of this master cylinder. I don't think it's very old. Exterior was rusty but interior nice and nice pliable seals. It's not OEM military, says use DOT3, which is what I'm going to do. I could rob the mil on off my parts truck and rebuild it, but it's a hassle.

IMG_8420.jpgIMG_8418.jpgIMG_8421.jpg

USMC green on donor cab (and bed). Bed is an A1 I think, was bolted down with U-bolts.
IMG_8401.jpgIMG_8402.jpg
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
IMG_8427.jpg

48 hour brake fluid soak takes off the civvy paint and keeps the military.
IMG_8455.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the seals are pliable and the bore is good, I'd run it! I wouldn't put that hex cap back on though, you want something with a vent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks