• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

If the seals are pliable and the bore is good, I'd run it! I wouldn't put that hex cap back on though, you want something with a vent.

it's kind of weird, it has a vent hole in the middle, but it just went up into the top where that steel circle was crimped on. I will either put a proper deuce cap on the master if the threads are the same, or thread this cap and put a fitting on it so I can pressure bleed it, etc.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Man... Haven't you learned yet? Do not use dot3 fluid in this thing, just go get some dot5.

Don't make me eat my words every time I say good job bro... Did you ever check out the new deuce master cylinders that Clintogf sells in the classifieds? You can't go wrong at her price.

DavidWymore

I did, but I don't need one. Good price, but shipping to the land of fruits and nuts always stinks. Airpack was $60 plus $50. Grr.

I've read up on brake fluid extensively and decided on 3 because I think it's better, not cause I'm cheaping out.

Jeepsinker

The 3 is not better. It absorbs moisture directly from the air, and there are way too many places for water to accumulate and cause damage on our trucks. The reason the military went over to DOT5 is and always has been clear and simple. Please do not cheap out here. It'll cost you a whole lot more in the long run, and could cost you your life.

DavidWymore

Believe me, you don't want to start the "Dot3 is better than Dot5" conversation here. You'll just get pounded into the mud and feel stupid afterward.
First off, I do not want any such discussion muddying up my build thread. I didn't start one, I don't want one. That kind of crap, "pounded into the mud", is why I have considered leaving this forum.

EDIT: It's not good for the forum, the hobby, or anyone. Already way too many good and potentially useful people have been driven away for no good reason.

It's my truck, my thread, and my money and I'll do what I think is best for me. DOT3 works and has worked in hundreds of thousands of vehicles for eons.

I've done plenty of reading elsewhere, and I'd rather have a little moisture suspended in my DOT3 and flushing it every so often than settling to the lowest point in my brake lines and rusting them out with 5. Having to flush every couple years is still cheaper than buying 5, and should be done. I have no use or patience for idea that the military always knew the best way to do everything.

But thanks anyway. :)

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Edited above, and adding more here:

I will say that if I or anyone else was suggesting something that would endanger the public, such as removing the airpack and running a VW master cylinder, something should be done about it. :)

DavidWymore

I don't like brakes, and normally especially don't like bleeding them. Can't wait to get my bleeder built and effortlessly flush and bleed the system...then I need to find a really big strong guy to stomp the tar out of the pedal with the air all the way up and pressure test it.

Deuce brakes do not give me a warm fuzzy.

Last edited:
My Deuce has been converted to a motor home. I have had to make two panic stops and I can say they work great. The single circuit is worrisome but I have always driven trucks old enough to have single circuit system. So I don't worry too much.

rustystud

First off, I do not want any such discussion muddying up my build thread. I didn't start one, I don't want one. That kind of crap, "pounded into the mud", is why I have considered leaving this forum.

EDIT: It's not good for the forum, the hobby, or anyone. Already way too many good and potentially useful people have been driven away for no good reason.

It's my truck, my thread, and my money and I'll do what I think is best for me. DOT3 works and has worked in hundreds of thousands of vehicles for eons.

I've done plenty of reading elsewhere, and I'd rather have a little moisture suspended in my DOT3 and flushing it every so often than settling to the lowest point in my brake lines and rusting them out with 5. Having to flush every couple years is still cheaper than buying 5, and should be done. I have no use or patience for idea that the military always knew the best way to do everything.

But thanks anyway. :)
David. No one here wants to "bust your chops" about what your doing, but having said that we do want what is best for you. If you had really read up on DOT 3 versus DOT 5 you would see that DOT 5 is FAR superior then DOT 3. Not just because the military used it either. I'm telling you this from personal knowledge and experience . I have been a "ASE Certified Master Mechanic" for over 35 years now so I'm not blowing smoke up your undies. It has been proven for years now that the Silicone Brake fluid (DOT 5) last longer, has better heat tolerance, has better seal life (actually lubricates the seals) and prevents rust in your brake system. Now some will say that water will collect in the lowest place in your system. This is only partially true. If your system is exposed to excessive water ( going under water) then yes there will be some water in your system, but under normal circumstances you will not have any water in your system since the Silicone does not absorb water like Dot 3 does. Just checking your brake fluid in a DOT 3 system your exposing it to moisture. Let alone the fact that it has a vent to the outside air (absorbing water). That is why in a DOT 3 system the fluid is supposed to be changed out every 3 years ! Have you ever wondered how these old military trucks after 30 to 40 years still have operating brake systems ? I can tell you it is not from having maintenance done on them as most have not seen a military base in decades. Silicone fluid lasts decades and does not break down like DOT 3 will.
So, it still is your truck and money. Your a big boy and can do what you want, but Jeepsinker and I are giving you sound advice. After all, didn't you come to this site to get advice from people who know about this truck ?

DavidWymore

Thanks guys, I ain't worried about either of you. I may have been a bit forceful in my above post, but that was to make it clean I didn't want any poo hitting the fan. You are two have been most friendly and helpful. I just don't want my thread derailed by everyone and their dog, uh dogpiling on me about it or any drama. If you still want to try to try to convince me, PM me. I'll send you links to all the articles I've read, but I really don't want to spend any more time on it.

I have read up on it, a lot, several articles, an evening or two of reading and I'm a fast reader. I've been doing more reading than wrenching lately, got lazy. I'm OCD and I don't quit reading until I feel I have exhausted the available info.

What rusty says is true, 5 is better in most respects on paper. I just don't feel the cost, hassle, or limited availability is worth it for me in my truck where I live. It's really dry here, I don't want to get stuck somewhere waiting for 5, system already had 3 in it, etc., etc.

Back to our regularly scheduled program, I forgot this pic yesterday. 24052 is a dead nuts match. (right side)

IMG_8425.jpg

Last edited:

DavidWymore

So...been busy/lazy and haven't touched the deuce lately. Haven been researching and went and looked at tires. Looks like only 6 Hhalf decent 11.00-20s available locally but I just got another lead on more. Gotta decide on what to run for tires first so I can flip the hubs or not. Waffling 'tween originalish and M275ish on singles. I need to talk to RAYZER, I'm curious how much smaller, lighter, faster, and more nimble the 275 is.

m109a2

Hey David have you heard the the old adage it is better thought to be a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt dot3 is better than dot 5 wrong answer.

rustystud

Hey David have you heard the the old adage it is better thought to be a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt dot3 is better than dot 5 wrong answer.
OK in David's defense he does not have easy access to DOT 5 fluid. He lives in the dry desert (no water issues) and he doesn't want to spend the extra money on DOT 5. I totally agree Dot 5 is the best for so many reasons, but you got to admit it is very expensive . I bought 5 gallons last month for a new project. Trust me I know it is expensive !

DavidWymore

Wow, thanks 109. That helps. That is exactly the kind of comment I specifically stated above that I didn't want. If you don't have anything useful to say besides being rude, why bother? I am not a mod, but this is my thread, so feel free to show yourself to the door.

I did my homework and made my decision. Cost isn't the issue. I already bought.5 at NAPA and then returned it. It can be had for about $65 a gallon on eBay which isn't bad. Like I said, I agree.5 is better, but it's not what I want. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have a brake failure or tear a brake line off off-roading or some-such thing, and be stuck because I can't get my hands on any 5. I can carry extra around, but you know how that goes. It would get misplaced and I wouldn't have any, or I read also that it tends to evaporate over time, so when I needed it it would be gone.

DavidWymore

What's that saying about proper prior planning? I needed some good shoes and some of my wheelbearings were iffy, so I pulled the brakes off two of my 80s era a.m. general donor axles tonight and everything is beautiful. Can pretty much take everything and swap it right onto my backing plates. Guess that pretty much makes all that time cleaning up all my other parts a waste of time. Oh well, carry-on.