• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my 5 ton stuck in the woods in snow and mud.

Jeep Nasty

While scouting out a remote sand pit the property owner offered up for a shooting location. The unplowed road turned snowmobile trail turned mud bog with no where to turn around, Quickly became too much for my m923a2 when the font axle would not engage. I called A HMMWV that tried to pull me loose, but without my front axle, it wasn't happening.

The upside is we went and got a M939 frankencab dump truck that I got to try out. With the 6x6 working and. Ctis aired down she had no problems in the 18 inches of snow and mud, while pulling my truck behind it.

I guess ill use that range in the summer when things dry out.

that frankencab rebuild was awesome. The interior is much friendlier with tons of headroom and nicer seats.

Now I have to hit the TM's and diagnose my no engaging front axle

Jeep Nasty

Sorry, I was frantically trying orchestrate removal while I had daylight and didn't break out the camera.

Gunner0311

Everyone needs to get their equipment stuck at least once, if nothing else to learn the truck's weaknesses and just how bad the conditions need to

be before your day turns real bad! It sounds like you were lucky enough to have more equipment to assist you in recovering your 5-Ton without

breaking something really bad. Great Job!

Jeep Nasty

Front axle won't engage M923A2

So after getting stuck in the woods this weekend with no 6 wheel drive, i decided to fix my lack of one axle turning. I started by addressing some things that needed fixing as preventative maintenance or to eliminate as added issues to my problem. I replaced my PPV, air governor, and put a new filter set on the air dryer.

I started up the truck to build up the air and I flipped the front axle engage switch on the dash. I could hear air flow and the light came one, but i could immediately here air being released in to the air intake stack then after about 10 seconds the indicator light went off on the dash. I did this many times with the same result. when I flip the switch off it sounds like the appropriate release form the valve. I crawled underneath with my spray bottle of water and soap looking for leaks. Mind you i'm outside on the ground in 20 degrees and its snowing, so I don't have access to a controlled environment. I could not locate any leaks but could hear it escaping into the intake stack still with the switch on. I fiddled with the auto engage valve a little and could not detect any obvious problems there.

I poured through the TM's for a few hours trying to troubleshoot and searched many threads, but i'm not having much luck. Its tough tracing the air lines with the conditions i'm in outside so i'm not sure if there is another valve or junction that i'm missing.

Is it possible or common that the piston/valve on the transfer case could seize or fail? if so, any lines on a rebuild kit?

Or is there something simple that I'm missing due to my frustration, cold hands, dropping tools in snow, ect.?

I'm thinking of bypassing the auto engage switch that activates when in low range as a preemptive strike, but I'm really looking for other leads, so I have a few things to try, because I have to get all suited up in the cold stuff and running in and out to the computer is not easy.

i'm sure this would be easier in a heated garage, but thats not happening anytime soon.

Thanks for any help.

also, i set up a video camera underneath while i was driving into a snow bank on my icey driveway, both rear axle were active with nothing up front. no front driveshaft movement of tire spin

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your drive shaft to the front was not turning at all.
My 923 shaft rotates even when not engaged.

Jeep Nasty

Your drive shaft to the front was not turning at all.
My 923 shaft rotates even when not engaged.
It will turn when when moving forward under power form rear wheels because no lockout hubs. To test it, I put front tires in snow bank and rears were on the iced over driveway. The rears we're spinning while in drive and the fronts did nothing and front shaft doesn't turn, telling me it its not engaging in the transfer case.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeep have you tried low range.
If my understanding is right the front Axel should engage automatically when put into low.

Jeep Nasty

Jeep have you tried low range.
If my understanding is right the front Axel should engage automatically when put into low.
No go in low range either. I was thinking that the air I hear escaping means not enough psi to the actuator switch that is activated by low range since the manual switch air runs through there as well.

Jeep Nasty

The piston that actuates the front drive shaft is installed backward. Check it, 4 bolts and its out.
I,ll give that a try tomorrow. It doesn't seem too hard to get to. I guess opening it up will tell me if there are any other problems inside the piston.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes 162 is right some of these trucks they reverse either air line or something else so when its off on dash it is actually on and when you turn it on at dash you are actually turning it off.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks 162 I am going to remember that so if someone has same problem I can be of some help to them.

Jeep Nasty

It's the piston. When installed backward, air passes by it, then vents into the intake stack via the transfer case vent.
I'm actually excited to crawl under there today knowing this should actually fix her. As soon as I get home from work later, I'll be under there and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks 162.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks