• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got my first deuce how bad did i get burned?

joey

picked it up about 200 or so miles away had wife and babey drive me up and follow me back smelled gear oil stoped looked oil everywhere now im broke down in pacific city oregon at a hotel i cant afford trying to figure out how to get to coosbay oregon or at least florence it runs fine well runs great actually as far as i can tell outher then the geer oil everywhere i think ive made it close to around 150 miles like an idiot i was too excited and left manuals at home left tools at work despite working on tugboats and having almost everything i could use at work that i could of borrowd Im really kicking myself right now, anyhow it still runs and drives so i dont think i did too much damage yet. gonna call a mechanic toomorro and get oil and a wrench some of the things i shold have brought along and try to make it home anyhow its a i think 1970 air shift w/o winch paint is in decent shape i think it was repainted acording to the door around 1990 13,000 miles one rust hole under the door about the size of a dime and surface rust on the front fender outher then that paint is pretty good oh and one small dent from jack knifing a trailer in the back ipaid 4300 soft top turbo and one winch of unknown condition sliding around in the bed oh and it came with a small trailer that is hard to see when backing up ill post picks when i make it back sorry for the spelling its been a long long day

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: got my first duece how bad did i get burned?

I would think you have a bad seal in the tranny or one of the axles. Throwing oil is messy and can be dangerous but if you didn't run her dry chances are it will be better in the morning when you get a look at it. One thing is these trucks make you think in gallons versus quarts so be prepared. If you paid $4,300 for it can you ask the seller to make a reparation for the trouble after driving it so few miles? Mine was spewing motor oil at Aberdeen because of an extra gasket being in the oil filter. The guys from this site wer great and lent me tools which I have in abundance but also forgot that day and gave me an oil filer too. Soon you will learn that the back makes a great place to stay in times like this. I've spent many a night in the back of one.

I hope you are able to get her home and get the problem fixed without too much trouble. Then again if it is a big problem ask the seller for $$ back or help.

acetomatoco

In the long run, as I have said constantly...have your 40 year old trucks delivered to you. You can fix all the problems at your leisure at home. A hook can pick you up and take you home for probably $3 a mile.. take out the rear drive shaft, lift the front and away you go.. sure saves on hotel bills and baby food. Of course, the problem may just be a clogged vent on a diff and overfilling of same resulting in oil being pushed past a seal, however, diagnosing that on the side of the road is no fun.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

I would have to think if the rear of the truck is covered, it's something like a transfer case or transmission-I don't think a pinion seal would cover the back of the truck, it would sling the stuff on the bottom of the bed and the roadway. When I drove mine to Aberdeen (720+ miles) I had inadvertantly overfilled the transfer case (had I been in bed the previous evening reading my manuals like Ace recommends, I wouldn't have overfilled it) and when it got hot, it started spewing 90 weight GL-1 all over the bottom and rear of the truck. After it spewed out the overage, it stopped leaking.

Like David said, as long as you didn't run it dry, you're probably good to go. Find out what's leaking, then fill it back up, drive it home, you only have 50 miles to go. It can leak plenty and still make it home unless it's literally pouring. It's a lot easier to add some lube on the side of the road than it is to replace a seal.

If the thing is really soaked underneath to the point that you can't identify the source of the leak, then limp it to a car wash and degrease it.......if you still can't tell, drive it a couple miles and check again.

And you're right, those short trailers are fun to back up..... :roll:

Now when you get home, let's see some pictures!

Rattlehead

I agree with the idea of a plugged vent on one of the axles, or t-case. Had one do this to me after a couple hundred miles, squeezed out gear lube from every seal on a rear axle. Its too late now for you to try this, but if you see this and pull out the axle vent before the truck sits for awhile, you would hear a bunch of air escaping.

If you suspect a plugged vent, take it out for the rest of the drive (be sure to clean around it before removing!), and top off the gear lube.

joey

its not leeking on the back its all over the underside of the bed and on the tires mostley on the back axles but a little on the front. ididnt run anything dry at least i dont think anyhow my girlfreind informed me im an idiot and theres still around 100 miles to go im goncall trucking companies today and get a price she is gonna call her brother and see if he can bring up some tools and oil im about to go to and check the with the local mecanic here and see if hes got a some tools i can borrow so i can atleast check the oil level.. I doubt the seller is gonna give me anything back its mosltey my own fault anyhow i should of known better and not been in such a hurry. but i do plan on calling him soon i would sleep on the side of the road but I also have to think of my 4 month old daughter as for babey food well at least somone remmberd somthing its 7 am now i have till 1200 till check out no more hotels left and the room im in has already been researved oh well i will check vents and then walk to the mechanic for tools and will let ya know what i find thanks for the help

McVeyMac

Joey, my $0.02,

The best thing to say to your girlfriend is "Yes Dear."
If it gets to noon, send your girlfriend and your baby girl home, you can sleep in/on the truck.
With only 100 miles to go, see if you can keep going by getting some help from this forum. A tow will be about $300, cheap considering the years of excitement this truck will provide you with.
Your girlfriend and you will never forget this adventure. You will be telling this one to your girl's children, and showing them the American made steel truck you are talking about as it will probably still be on the road.
Breathe
Remember it is not the destination that counts, it is the journey.
It is the weekend, so perhaps help is on it's way.

Walt

joey

well there is no store in this town that carries a socket wrench i did however manage to find a small cresent to take the vent off. but i doubt thats it. And i found some earplugs to replace the ciggette butts ive been sticking in my ears sense i lost the last pair the trucking companies dont want anyting to do with it. I got one tow truck that may do it but waiting for him to call back. nope $600 there is no oil on the transmission or transfer case its all around the middle axle and tires. everyone i talaak to says to add oil and drive so around noon im buying a large fire extinquisher and 10 gallons or so oil and a wrench from napa at the next town over and running it. Im wondering if this is going to have the same results as the first time i tried to save some money
oh if i told my girl yes dear I wouldnt be in this mess. id be driving a nice pretty pink toyota instead.

mangus580

which one? rofl

Joey, hate to critisize, but could you try to brake your posts up into more readable sentances and paragraphs? Really hard to follow what you are saying :)

gene

Joey,
Sounds like you gotta PITA situation but here's at least one ray of hope for you. Guarenteed that with the manuels, tools and the brothers of Steel Soldiers, you will be able to over come. This site is a wellspring of info and help in times of need. Good luck!!!

GENE

bugei

good luck joey!

i just bought a duece in bend and had to drive 400 miles from reno nevada to get it and drive it back to reno.
quite an adventure, i lucked out, and only had a flat, no spewing.

btw, i am not sure how much gear oil a total "refill" takes, 10 gallons may not be enough, i did not see the amount in the tm, maybe someone can chime in.

i'm rooting for you, go man!, go!

bottleworks

joey said:
there is no oil on the transmission or transfer case its all around the middle axle and tires.
This reinforces the idea that the axle vents are clogged.

With the vents removed from the axles, it should stop forcing the lube out. The exact same thing happened to me when I picked up my truck. Drove from Atlanta, GA to central NC...In SC, I discovered the gear oil mess! Once you get home, your going to need to repack your axle bearings.

kc8sfq

btw, i am not sure how much gear oil a total "refill" takes, 10 gallons may not be enough, i did not see the amount in the tm, maybe someone can chime in.

If memory serves me it's right at 5 gal if everything is empty. If everything was EMPTY, you'd have already have needed that fire extinguisher. If you have only a hundred miles to go just top her off and go. Check the vents and all the other suggestions already made here. You might also find a barel pump for gear lube to be a good investment. Just a little bit of oil makes a BIG mess.

If it don't leak... It aint real army.

Good luck. Dont forget to let us know how it comes out. There's a whole bunch of us out here pulling for you and telling the stories of "do you remember the time we went to _______ (fill in the blank with your own favorite story)

JRBAMATEX

One five gallon bucket of gear oil and a small hand pump will get you home. I had the same type situation when I brought mine home. I wound up paying for a 100 mile taxi ride a plane ticket and a hauler. After I got it home and had time to really look at the situation It was plain that all I needed to do was top of the tranny and T-case and come on home. Expensive lesson for sure. When these things start slinging oil it looks like more than it really is. Just top it off and bring her home. When you recover from the trip and the purchase you can start replacing seals.

Welcome aboard!

It's not just a truck... It's an adventure.

joey

i took off vent added around 3 to 3-3/4 quarts of gear oil. I checked everything else all is fine. Now I noticice a plug missing from the bottom front part of the transmission, Its the one of the two that are grouped close together. what oil and how much do i use? Im running on battery power now and debating on dowloading manuals but time is limited now as i checked out already of hotel

joey

i took off vent added around 3 to 3-3/4 quarts of gear oil. I checked everything else all is fine. Now I noticice a plug missing from the bottom front part of the transmission, Its the one of the two that are grouped close together. what oil and how much do i use? Im running on battery power now and debating on dowloading manuals but time is limited now as i checked out already of hotel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks