• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my first deuce! Maintenance/build thread

Rubenk

I finally found a relatively local(40miles) and good condition deuce, all for a nice price!

I'll try to keep things updated in this thread, and will post seperate threads with specific technical questions, if that pleases the mods. ALL corrections and criticisms are welcomed, I'm here to learn!

1971 AM General M35a2, Turbo, heater, and air-shift front axle. Everything seems to be mechanically in order, all I needed were 2 new batteries to get her home!

The pictures will be a mess till I am able to upload to the site and sort them out in order, I copied the majority of this thread to several sites I frequent.

As she sat when I showed up to buy her.

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/...2943805245_508700244_24501388_330183917_n.jpg

Making sure things are good before the trip home.

Following my driver...10 wheels kicks up a little dust!

First stop was to fabricate a battery box. We drove it home with a spiderweb of bungee cords holding things in place. I still plan on adding a skid plate underneath to guard against stray sticks/mud.

Then pulled her in the shop for a little more going over...

Decided to step outside and test it on the hill next to the shop. The camera girl was standing up on a bank so the angle doesnt look that bad. But the cab steps right here would be over my head if I jumped out of the truck. Also notice the front drive axle comes up off the ground!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xExeUMcLgg[/media]

Then I decided to just go on up the rest of the hill, I didnt actually think it would make it as that is nothing but loose shale and a very steep climb, 4-wheelers and pickups never stood a chance going up it. Towards the top there is a bunch of stuff siting on a flat spot and I originally thought i'd have to back down, but I just crawled over it all.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPZEtvPWGRw[/media]

What I didnt get on camera is me pushing a bull dozer around before the hill climb, and it caused a little grille damage, nothing severe. We also discovered a crushed fuel line, but the truck drives the same as Day 1 so I believe it has been like that a while.

Then we went up the mountain to see how it went. I'm the cameraman here.

Radiator has a slight leak, but nothing noticable in the tank level yet.

Then where I parked her when I had to leave. Quite an eventful weekend that was!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you get it from a SS member

What about posting pics to the site instead of a link to a off site site

Last edited:

Rubenk

Did you get it from a SS member

What about posting pics to the site instead of a link to a off site site
Not from another SS member, and I did say in my post that i'll copy them to the site ASAP, I understand this site has concerns with dead links and dont want to ruffle any feathers with my contributions. :beer:

Rubenk

Got a complete filter set ordered, new headlight ordered, and Kenny is gonna get me setup for a new fuel line to replace that entire copper piece.

I've got a 4 day weekend this week, so I'll probably spend all day wednesday working on the Deuce! All i'll need to pickup is the oil, and double check the air(had one flat when I picked it up) in all the tires and it should be good for routine maitenance.

I'll take a look at the local parts stores for pyrometer's and if I find one I like, i'll go ahead and pick it up for an install. If not i'll probably order the turbocator and get it installed next time I can work on the truck.

Again, I apologize about the picture links in the original post, i'll get it fixed soon I promise!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta paint that sucker up, restore her to preserve her for future generations to enjoy. Welcome to the disease.

Rubenk

Gotta paint that sucker up, restore her to preserve her for future generations to enjoy. Welcome to the disease.
I plan to mechanically restore it, there is surprisingly ZERO rust on this thing. I shot all the hinges with some penetrating oil and every thing works smoothly. But i'm afraid paint will be on the very bottom of the list of things to do.

Thanks for the welcome! :beer:

Flyingvan911

Once or twice a year some of us go down to the D-Day Adventure Park to drive around. Lots of nice trails. Keep watching on here for the next event. There was an MV rally last year and a 4x4 rally.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness , have you downloaded the TM's yet ?
This will help with inspecting it and getting familiar with the parts ; GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf
This one should be read before operating ; TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
This one will cover most maintainence ;TM9-2320-209-20-1.pdf
the rest can be found here ; TM's for the Deuce

One more thing to add to your list is to repack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes , so you know their condition .

Rubenk

Once or twice a year some of us go down to the D-Day Adventure Park to drive around. Lots of nice trails. Keep watching on here for the next event. There was an MV rally last year and a 4x4 rally.
Hey! I actually live in KCMO, I just keep the truck down in Arkansas.

Welcome to the madness , have you downloaded the TM's yet ?
This will help with inspecting it and getting familiar with the parts ; GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf
This one should be read before operating ; TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
This one will cover most maintainence ;TM9-2320-209-20-1.pdf
the rest can be found here ; TM's for the Deuce

One more thing to add to your list is to repack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes , so you know their condition .
Thanks for the direct TM links, I gave them a quick once over before I picked up the truck, and actually pulled one up when I went to pick up the truck in order to figure out the lights.

I do plan to purchase all the bearings and wheel seals and do them along with all the tires...That will be a fun weekend i'm sure...

Rubenk

Congrats! thanks for the pics and video. What'd you pay for her? I'm getting the itch for an A2 myself.

Thanks! I actually feel like I got a great deal. Paid 2700 for it and drove it home. It really only needed batteries and I was able to knock it down from 2950 for that reason.

It also has a bed full of hand cut limestone blocks that I might be able to sell locally...or at least use as yard ornaments.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I actually feel like I got a great deal. Paid 2700 for it and drove it home. It really only needed batteries and I was able to knock it down from 2950 for that reason.

It also has a bed full of hand cut limestone blocks that I might be able to sell locally...or at least use as yard ornaments.
I think that's a great deal too! Last A2 I saw go out of GL in little falls near me was a wreck. It had a paper lying in on the floor saying engine blown. IIRC it went for like 4K or more, I was shocked.
Hopefully I can find one like yours for sub 3K in running shape.

Rubenk

I think that's a great deal too! Last A2 I saw go out of GL in little falls near me was a wreck. It had a paper lying in on the floor saying engine blown. IIRC it went for like 4K or more, I was shocked.
Hopefully I can find one like yours for sub 3K in running shape.
It took a few months of casual looking. I actually looked at the truck about 6 weeks before I made the purchase, and when I finally gathered up the cash, they hadnt had any other contact in 6 months. Only reason it was on craigslist is because the owner(older gentleman) had a younger helper that posted it for him.

Last edited:

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture of the air filter is bringing back memories, ya gata love mice!!
Filters and a oil change were the first things I did to mine. You never know
how the guy before you maintained her.
Congrats!! :beer:

Rubenk

The previous owner had it for 5 years and never even put fuel in it, so i'm surprised it ran with 5+ year old diesel!

So I doubt its had an oil change within the past 8 years. Hopefully no permanent damage has been done, but no oil leaks and the level is full(assuming it isnt half-diesel).

anjay22

Yup, I have to agree with others and welcome to the disease and you can never have enough. I had my deuce since last October I think and I bought a 105 trailer the next month. I am patiently looking for another deuce and an MKT trailer. Enjoy every bit of it because they are awesome!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site. I'm a transplanted Arkie. If it was up here you could bring it up to Liberty Memorial this week end. A lot of us will set up there from Saturday noon till Monday mid-day.

Rubenk

Welcome to the site. I'm a transplanted Arkie. If it was up here you could bring it up to Liberty Memorial this week end. A lot of us will set up there from Saturday noon till Monday mid-day.
Thanks! If I was gonna be in the area I'd come check it out! But i'll be down working on the truck and having cold beverages all week/weekend.

Nice truck Rubenk! I had to double take on a couple of the pics as I have a similar tan strip on the driver door of my deuce too. Kinda weird! :shock: Congrats on that score and welcome to the green disease!
:driver:
Thanks! yea that is odd that you got the stripe too! Musta been a half-way common paint technique?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks