• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got pulled over today. Smoke Issue

Eafarms

16114017_669881126516596_440956273387608110_n.jpg

less than 2 miles from my house this morning on the way to a local cars n coffee. I see the dreaded flashing lights behind me.

find an appropriate place to stop and talk to the officer. he lets me know the truck is "really cool" but the excessive smoke is an issue and not to drive it unless I figure that out.

soo... turning down fuel? anything else I could do to decrease the smoke.

it is pretty bad.. I blacked out a valley when I was going up out of it this morning.

Last edited:

Eafarms

from my understanding, lots of smoke means extra fuel or not enough air.. so air cleaner was one of my first thoughts. previous owner stated it was new last year. pulled it today and its spotless. I mean, probably the cleanest air filter I've seen in any machine ever.

running straight pump diesel with about a gallon of 2 stroke mixed in a full tank for lubricity. curiously, it smoked worse on straight diesel.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the boost level, maybe the turbosupercharger is dragging a little. See if it spins freely.

Eafarms

Turbo spins good. No shaft play. Front/back or side to side.

It seems a boost and pyro are needed to really monitor the turbo. But I won't have the funds for anything like that too soon. I just need to be able to use this truck without getting a ticket.

It it seems that cruising at higher speeds. Equates to less smoke. Lugging it down equates to more . Except 5th gear. It always smokes in 5th.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The more expensive option, but probably the culprit, I bet you have the single hole injectors. Upgrade to the 2 hole injector or maybe have yours pop tested and spray pattern adjusted. If the nozzles are eroded, I may have some available.

Where in Ohio are you? I'm down in Cincinnati.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Turbo spins good. No shaft play. Front/back or side to side.

It seems a boost and pyro are needed to really monitor the turbo. But I won't have the funds for anything like that too soon. I just need to be able to use this truck without getting a ticket.

It it seems that cruising at higher speeds. Equates to less smoke. Lugging it down equates to more . Except 5th gear. It always smokes in 5th.
You must have posted this while I was typing a reply. If it smokes that much, I'd not use it till you have a pyro. My multifuel wrecker smoked so much we called it Pigpen(from Charley Brown notoriety). It was turned WAY up, enough to overcome a plugged up air filter and snap the crank. That was a heck of an eventful weekend!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good advice. If the main fuel has been turned up and the droop has not be reduced then there will be extra fuel till the rpm comes up. Also keeping the rpm higher when shifting and or driving might help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My response is more of question but one to ponder. Is the LDS turbo wastegated?. The simplest pressure guage can confirm if the boost pressure is adequate.

Edit, I added the topic of the thread to the title. Makes it more searchable.

Last edited:

Jericho

Iam not familiar with Ohio , would make sure its operating properly, My 109 doesn't smoke at all even under load. But at the risk of POLITICAL INCORECTNESS, Is the smoke measurable . is it Illegal in Ohio in the time it will take you to discover the culprit. If its illegal , certainly don't drive it . All for environment , BUT one M 35 is not the end of the world. Far more pollutants are added to the atmosphere invisible and silent by SMOGGED cars and big business under the "Pollution Credits" system. Consider electric cars, Most US power is COAL fueled , Electric cars may not expel smoke , BUT they increase pollution exponentially as they are charged by pollution producing power plants, And most tree huggers don't have a clue . Iam not a "rolling Coal" type , but do believe that no matter how much some one is offended, if I am legal , I don't want to hear it. figure out why its so black, but if its legal and you really need to drive it, Drive on Color of the smoke in no way determines particulate level or pollution rate , Its just black and noticeable, Consider a smog pump, still a mainstay of most car emmissions systems. It does nothing to decrease pollution , it simply pumps large volumes of FRESH air into the exhaust stream "DILUTEING " the exhaust gases to acceptable levels for emmissions, A well built 1968 chevy 350 with just an exhaust pipe can run cleaner and more efficient than a smogged 2000 model , Just sayin.

Jericho

Did notice its a 5 ton, have one of those as well , must apologise, I still think all M 35 LDS/LDT , Its either fuel, too much, or air , not enough, combustion, inadequate, ( IP adj. or injectors ) I assume you are running it unloaded most of the time, keep the rpm up and the accels gentle ,

74M35A2

Somebody probably just has it turned up too far. Adjust fueling to factory spec and as long as the engine is healty in all other regards, it will clear up. They don't smoke when running correctly. Slight haze on hard acceleration is the most you should see. Any more than that is just wasting fuel and not making more power. I believe you adjust LDT/S fueling rate based on boost level under load? Cheap and easy to do. Will also confirm your turbo is working.

74M35A2

Iam not familiar with Ohio , would make sure its operating properly, My 109 doesn't smoke at all even under load. But at the risk of POLITICAL INCORECTNESS, Is the smoke measurable . is it Illegal in Ohio in the time it will take you to discover the culprit. If its illegal , certainly don't drive it . All for environment , BUT one M 35 is not the end of the world. Far more pollutants are added to the atmosphere invisible and silent by SMOGGED cars and big business under the "Pollution Credits" system. Consider electric cars, Most US power is COAL fueled , Electric cars may not expel smoke , BUT they increase pollution exponentially as they are charged by pollution producing power plants, And most tree huggers don't have a clue . Iam not a "rolling Coal" type , but do believe that no matter how much some one is offended, if I am legal , I don't want to hear it. figure out why its so black, but if its legal and you really need to drive it, Drive on Color of the smoke in no way determines particulate level or pollution rate , Its just black and noticeable, Consider a smog pump, still a mainstay of most car emmissions systems. It does nothing to decrease pollution , it simply pumps large volumes of FRESH air into the exhaust stream "DILUTEING " the exhaust gases to acceptable levels for emmissions, A well built 1968 chevy 350 with just an exhaust pipe can run cleaner and more efficient than a smogged 2000 model , Just sayin.
Most of the technology statements here are incorrect.

162tcat

This is really misleading and off topic. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but really? Come on man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk