• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got stuck with commercial plates in ny, whats the weight of an 08?

Dabba

yeah, nj title said 5000lbs, dmv said 5900 pounds whixh is just over the limit so i needed commercial plates (5500 limit) Anyone know the the exact weight, i dont wanna go through th4 trouble of getting it weighed if theres no chance. Thanks

Hammer

There are a number of things you can take OUT of it and get it weighed.
Rear seat, pass seat, spare tire, etc.

Sephirothq

The weight of a CUCV should be listed in a transport guide., but you will probably have to go by the Gross vehicle weight (empty weight + payload) It should be listed on the inside of the door frame.

I found a number of 5200.
that's for a blazer

Last edited:

emr

In NJ? there are plenty of guys who registered there pickups and blazers, MV of course as daily drivers and did not go commercial, Commercial in nj is required when one is using for a business AND EVEN THEN "ONLY" when one carries products that are subject to sales tax, material that is sold for a profit to put it exactly,that would require sales tax, My material is part of a overall contract and does not fit that criteria,All my Pickups f350's and such are registered private and tow all my business trailers,lettered, and forklift also and carry my wares/ tools etc, since these things are not required to cause an upgrade to commercial, also IF one puts there phone number on the vehilce, any vehicle, it will require a commercial plate, BUT U can put your name address and anything else, not profanityof course, on it, but NO phone number....Randy

hobie237

There are a number of things you can take OUT of it and get it weighed.
Rear seat, pass seat, spare tire, etc.

Assuming that he means "M1008" by "08" in the title, none of those things exist. He could take off the bed and spare, though.

But anyway, the GVWR and curb weight would be found in the specs either on the transport plate or, as far as the DMV is concerned, on some table somewhere that has "1986 Chevrolet K30."

That said, if 5900 is over the limit, it's over the limit. Even if you *do* reduce the weight, I doubt they'd care about what it weighs, they'd only care about what their table says the specs are. 5900 being over the limit is ridiculous, though.

Dabba

its an m1008, not an 09. The clerk at the dmv said if i think its wrong i can go get it weighed get a slip with the weight on it and they will change the plates. But anyone else got a rough weigh? 5200 sounds good but anyone else? i checked the plate on the door and didnt find any. The mean reason i dont want commericals is so i can drive it on the parkway without an issue, though most parkcops dont bust balls for pickups and my stepdads the LT, but still

hobie237

The truck weighs in around 5900 pounds, give or take. I generally call it 6000, because by the time you put a driver in it, it will be over 6000. Don't know where you're getting "5200 sounds good" from- I mean, it sounds good, but so does 4500 or any other number that's pulled out of thin air and less than 5500 pounds.

Drain all the fluids out of it and tow it to get it weighed. Without the bed on it. Or the spare. Or maybe the other four wheels and tires, too.

Any way you cut it, a 5500 pound limit sucks.

Edit- Or you could just try to get somebody to sign off on a weight you make up out of thin air. You'd likely have about the same luck getting somebody to do that as getting the DMV to believe that your K30 is significantly lighter than the listing in their book. 500 pounds is no trivial difference.

Last edited:

Sephirothq

I was wrong in the post above. I thought youwere talking about a M1009 the blazer those are around 5200lbs. I am not sure on an M1008 that is 5/4 ton truck.

jimm1009

M1008 weight

Here are the two pages out of the -10 for the CUCV.
If 5900 is the upper limit I would take out the spare and the front seat and put a single seat in and have it weighed.
Curb weight is without driver.
It seems really unfair to make a regular pickup a "commercial truck".

Jim

Attachments

hobie237

He said that 5500 is the NY limit, so we're talking about getting 400 pounds out of the truck. That's not a trivial amount.

I'm just shocked that they do the "commercial" limit by curb weight and not GVWR. That's just asinine. Especially when it's a personal vehicle not for commercial usage.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats why most full sized pickup trucks get plated as Commercial Vehicles here in NY, even if all you do is drive to town and back for milk. The weight makes it a comm vehicle. Also sucks that you cant go on Parkways here in NY with comm plates.

86M10086.2L

I have a M1008 in NY (Long Island) and I have pasenger plates. True the given weight for the truck is 5900 lbs. However I got mine down to 5400 and got passenger plates. My PA title said 5900 lbs. too. I took everything out from behind the seat, took out the spare tire, and went down with at most a 1/4 tank of diesel. Had it weighed at the town dump on the municipal waste scale, slip read 5401. Took that down to the DMV. They gave me passenger plates. I also made a copy of it to carry in the truck should a Trooper ever question me on the parkway. Your other option is to do what everyone else told the DMV they did but usually don't. Install seats in the bed put on a top, and carry a coleman or similar stove. That will get you pass plates as well as you have changed it's registration class to a camper/suburban. If you have troop seats and a cargo cover setup your only one step away from pass plates. If you get the literature from the DMV you'll see that "seats" and "top" have a very loose interpritation. With the amount of Duallies and F350's/3500's and so on registered with pass plates I doubt you would ever get e second look. Half of them don't even go as far as putting a bed cap on them. Just food for thought. Don't settle yourself for Comm plates just yet.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Michigan considers mine something other than a regular passenger vehicle because of the weight. However it doesn't really affect me much and the main difference is the characters in the plate number. You however are in that great east coast bastion of deleted text so yeah...expect to get screwed for having a large, heavy, 4x4 truck you evil environment killing nazi you!:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

datsunaholic

Some States are quite odd with their "truck" licensing. Here in WA, which is the norm for the West, if it has a bed, a box, or a 5th wheel it's a truck (cargo vans count as "box"). The plate on a VW Rabbit Pickup is no different than the plate on a semi-tractor. The FEE is different (but that's based on GVWR). In fact you can get Truck plates on a Prius, if you want to. It used to allow you to park in a commercial loading zone, not sure if that's still the case here or not. There are some specialty commercial plates, such as Combination plates, but those are typically ysed only fir vehicles meant solely for towing trailers that remain with that tractor. The numbering is no different.

m4A1

I had a M1008 weighed in at 5400 also. Just enough fuel to get there and to the nearest fuel station, no spare, no tie downs or pintle, no brush guard, no tail gate and cab empty of all non-essentials. If you have two small batts you can do that too.

Dabba

i think ill try to get new plates when it gets warmer. Though i dont think i may have to go trhough the trouble. my main problem is i cant on parkways which i cant get to a beach, but if get a beach pass i can get on the beaches so thats not a problem. I dont think it affects my insurance (it was insured before i got the plates) so i dont think im going to fight it. But if something comes up ill run the tank down, remove the spare and stuff behind the seat and maybe even take the tailgate off

And yeah, new york sucks the big one sometimes

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks