• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the rifle holder mounted today

JCKnife

Technically the floor holders aren't mounted yet, just sitting there. I was thinking about getting them Rhino-coated or something first, to put a softer touch on them. But either way...the dash install went fine, except the first hole I drilled near the glove box was too high. There was some kind of brace behind the dash there blocking the nut. So I drilled a lower one. Luckily I hadn't drilled the other two on the opposite end of the bracket first.

Attachments

JCKnife

Nice! Does the A2 have green furniture? What is the retro rifle? SP-1 ? A1?
No, it's all black furniture just poor lighting. The retro gun is a M16A1 upper on a Nodak Spud retro lower with M16A1 furniture.

Unfortunately both just semi-auto.

I like it. Bring on the Zombies! Where'd you pick up the rifle holders?
"Deuceman" Troy from this site.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, no worries on the lack of a happy switch, I don't have any either. I do have an NDS lower with one of the A1 kits that has flooded the market lately. Working on a few other variations (605, 607) when I can! One day I'll mount my gun mount in the deuce.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have acquired 3 deuces with the rifle mounts outboard of the seats. I believe the military found the dash mount interferred.
In Nam we just hung the M16 on the wing nut of
the window hinge.2cents

Seth_O

We should do an over/under on how long you could have that setup in CA before you get arrested, truck confiscated, and locked up with the cell door welded shut.

I'm going to have to delete my cookies after this just in case the gov't comes checking.

Nice setup, I'm jealous (if you can't tell........) Install looks clean.

JCKnife

In KY I got pulled over in my pickup once, with a glock in the glove box, and the state trooper chastised me for NOT having hollow-points in it! :D

I'll have a loaded magazine in the retro-rifle in a parade next Thurs.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good - I have mine installed, haven't gotten the chance to buy dummy M16s to put in the rack. To be honest, waiting for good looking dummy M14s to put in them!

Nonotagain

Hey, no worries on the lack of a happy switch, I don't have any either. I do have an NDS lower with one of the A1 kits that has flooded the market lately. Working on a few other variations (605, 607) when I can! One day I'll mount my gun mount in the deuce.
The Happy Switch is over rated. With a 30 round mag it takes less than 3 seconds to empty. With the cost of ammo running close to 40 cents per round, its not like the good old days of dumping a $150 a case for a day of fun.

If you live in a gun friendly large state, life can be good.

If you live in a small state and belong to a private range in an neighboring state you have to request permission to travel across state lines from BATFE. Plus in my home state ther is a annual registration fee.

I can think of a lot better things to do with 11-15K than purchasing a firearm that only gets dusted off a couple of times a year.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I put mine in I used the kit from Saturn. It had template drawings that made it very easy to locate the holes. They work great. I mount an M1A and an AR15A2 in it for parades, etc.

jarhead1086

I have a happy switch on one of mine, Colt M16A1 carbine, from the Las Vegas PD. Bought it with a Stafford Loan during school : ) I love blazing all tracers at steel a couple times per year but my semis are my go-to rifles. A semi is best most often and a decimal cheaper. How many bad habits can a average Joe afford? I think I may try an over head mount? I have a hard top.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking for non-firing weapons to use as decorations, look at the airsoft guns available now. The main reason for us in gun-friendly states using them is the cost, for y'all in unfriendly states, it may be the only acceptable way to go.

I bought a really nice airsoft M60 MG for less than $400. Looks very much like the real gun (and I used to be an M60 gunner). Only weighs about 14#, but that is not a bad thing! When you are looking for three of them, like Quonsethut was for his gun truck, cost is a big issue.

I also needed an M79 for the V100, got a realistic one of those for about $150. That one (CAW) was on sale, I think they are usually something like $240, metal frame and wood furniture. There is a less expensive all PVC version too.

Both came from AirsoftGI.com They have some really nice looking M14s, and just about any other military rifle/pistol you can think of.

Cheers

TheOxman

When I put mine in I used the kit from Saturn. It had template drawings that made it very easy to locate the holes. They work great. I mount an M1A and an AR15A2 in it for parades, etc.
This. I bought mine from Saturn and spent about an hour installing. Thought they came out great. Here's mine:

Attachments

JCKnife

Very nice Oxman. I hadn't even thought about optics but looks like yours are not hitting anything. I only tried my plain-jane rifles so far. Good to see!