• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gotta paint that stop handle red!

Jinx

What is this "Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009"
A zombie apocalypse may not occur, but it's good to be prepared in the event of a disaster whether it's man made or natural.

Also people always ask why I would want to own an old military truck. It's fun to tell them I'm preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. It usually stops them from asking any more stupid questions.

A

A/C Cages

I moved mine due to the same mistake of oops, wrong handle. Besides its really crowded on that side of the wheel. lol

stumps

A standard part of routine diagnostics of the LD engines is running the engine at full governed speed. It is loud, but if your governor is functioning properly, and is adjusted properly (and it had better be if you are going to drive your truck) it shouldn't hurt anything.

Also, there are very few things that you should do to these trucks quickly and with great force. Get out of that habit. The stop cable only moves about 1 inch, pull it like it is only going to move about 1 inch. If you happen to pull the wrong cable, and you do it slowly and with restraint, the throttle isn't going to go up all that much before you will notice the speed is going the wrong way.

-Chuck

stancanpara

A zombie apocalypse may not occur, but it's good to be prepared in the event of a disaster whether it's man made or natural.

Also people always ask why I would want to own an old military truck. It's fun to tell them I'm preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. It usually stops them from asking any more stupid questions.
I LOVE it!!! I'm gonna start using thaty one too! ;-)

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:shock::shock:Uh, Its real bad when you tell them that and they just look at you. You know, the: deer caught in headlight, glassy eyed, eyebrows not up, look. :shock::shock:

I then tell them its my hurricane truck and they go: Oh, good idea and a nice looking truck...Go Figure!!!

Unforgiven

What about the opposite problem? I have a throttle handle that won't stay out. I've rotated it at all angles six ways from Sunday. No matter what angle the handle is at, it still creeps back in.

What way are the teeth supposed to face to keep the throttle out?

treeguy

Unforgiven, mine has the same problem. I think it is most likely due to to troops mashing in the handle to idle the engine down. Which in my opinion will grind down the catching teeth, so now some of us have handles that don't stay out (vice grips?) I think the only option would be to replace the handle with one that holds.

Does everyones handle pull hard or without gentle resistance?
The reason I ask is because the winching manuals state to use the throttle handle to adjust the rpms for winching, but mine pulls so tough that I can't get a smooth throttle adjustment. The Tm's say to use the handle for smooth operation but I can get that from my foot, the cable is not a smooth pull in my mind to control the winch speed. What do you guys do?

Gastrap

I did it once & then made myself remember that the throttle handle is the one closer to the pedal, worked so far.

Can't overspeed unless your going downhill but it sure is loud enough to get your attention!

tm america

Been there done that... Didn,t worry about it much. i pull my engine stop out slowly so not to break anything ..So when i did it with the throttle control the rpms came up slow .A quick twist and a push of the cable no issue.. My throttle cable pulls fairly smoothly and locks properly as does my engine stop cable... If yours don't i would advise changing them before they cause you some pricey problems

treeguy

It may be a corroded cable in the jacket, the truck originally didn't have a winch so it probably wasn't used much except to warm it up. Pricy like how? The hand throttle isn't an integral part of running the truck, it is a secondary attachment to the same rod the foot throttle cable goes to.

tm america

Pricey like you get use to yanking the cable to shut the engine off and it breaks something in the injection pump.. or you yank the throttle cable and the gov doesnt work and motor disasembles itself..Sticky cables can sieze up or break which could be a bad thing .. i would try lubing them first.. ..

dittle

I am in the crowd of haven't done it.....yet. That being said I look at the cable I'm grabbing and don't "yank" it out. Both of my cables move smoothly so I can pull them out very easily. I have seen some deuces where you want a hammer to pound on the handles to make the cables move.... hopefully yours isn't in that shape as I can understand the "yank" method if it is.